Connie Clark resigns

Discussion in 'Softball' started by Dionysus, May 23, 2018.

1. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

• Like Like x 4
  2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

• Like Like x 5
  3. HANNAHORN

HANNAHORN 100+ Posts

BEST NEWS I'VE HAD ALL DAY!!!!

• Like Like x 4
  4. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Sad for UT that it took this long and still Plonsky would not act. At least Coach Clark had the good sense to take herself out.

• Like Like x 6
  5. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I don't cheer a nice person losing their job. I thank her for starting this club up from literally the ground up. But it was so obvious a change was needed. Thanks Connie for your what you did for the Longhorns.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

With Del Conte now in place I really question if there wasn’t some pressure asserted on Connie Clark to step down. This needed to happen years ago! So happy for the program!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Oh absolutely this was CDC. I don't know that for a fact. But one year after an outsider arrives? Plonsky never would have pressured Connie to go.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

I was at the RGV tour and Plonsky was there but got only a brief recognition from CDC. I really believe CDC knows what he has at Texas and is calling the shots to eliminate any mediocrity! This was the last program that screamed for change. I like this guy!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Finally! Finally! Finally! Thank you CDC!

• Like Like x 1
  10. utwheels86

utwheels86 25+ Posts

I guarantee this was CDC’s doing. I suspect he’s evaluating Plonsky as well.

11. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Oh, Happy Day!! Cat's only 30 miles away!!

12. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

No! Go out and hire a proven head coach. If I were AD Cat wouldn’t even be the first AC that I would hire. If Texas is going to hire Cat, they shouldn’t have never let Coach Clark go.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Considering all the undercurrents, exactly what "proven head coach" do you expect to interview, much less take the job? Perhaps there is a retired quality coach who would consider coming out of retirement for 2-3 years while CDC tries to "right the ship".

Getting a good coach will the biggest sales job of CDC's career.

14. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

15. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I totally disagree. What undercurrents are you talking about? Their are quality head coaches that will take the job if offered. I would even be okay with hiring an AC with a lot of experience. I just don’t think that hiring Cat Osterman would be the right decision.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Tick, tick, tick

17. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Is she qualified for a head coaching job? A lot of great players don't make for good coaches.

18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

There are issues on that side of the building that would cause a "proven" HC to think before jumping. Absent CdC throwing silly money at a coach, talking a proven HC out of retirement probably is the way to go. One barometer of what the softball community thinks about the situation will be if the programs start giving out unplanned raises.

19. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Her contract was not going to be renewed so she stepped down to avoid a bad looking situation. Good for her.

I've heard the Florida coach would take this job if offered.

• Like Like x 1
  20. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

No sarcasm meant, but why in the world would he?

21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Only two reasons:

1) CDC does one helliva a sales job, with promises that make the overall program look appealing. That would be a GREAT thing.

2) He is oblivious to the truth

22. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Because WE ARE TEXAS!!

But seriously I don't know why people think its such a bad situation. So much untapped potential, great HS talent base and I have a feeling CDC will end the CP mingling. Seems like a great opportunity to turn around a floundering program that has been mismanaged for many years.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Vol Horn 4 Life

There's a quote out there somewhere that he said the only school he would leave Florida for is Texas. Have no link or proof, but I have a pretty reliable friend who knows a lot about this. Former UT player.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Vol Horn 4 Life

Pretty much unlimited potential. Perfect recruiting base, great stadium, fans would probably flock back, etc.

25. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

We are a sleeping giant!

• Like Like x 2
  26. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Mmmmm, something got lost in the translation:
    https://floridagators.com/coaches.aspx?rc=782&path=softball

"After graduating from Oklahoma with a degree in history, Walton played in the Philadelphia Phillies organization from 1995-97."

27. Vol Horn 4 Life

Maybe he's pissed that OU didnt ask him? I dunno. Maybe he learned while getting his history degree that OU sux. Darrel Royal went to OU too. I didnt say it was a for sure thing and nothing about your link discredits the idea either.

28. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Anyone think Mike White at Oregon would bite? :)

29. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Clark didn't play with the agents (the club coaches). If that was at the direction of UT Compliance that isn't going to change so whoever comes in is going to have to put a superior team on the field year after year in order to attract the top talent. Very difficult without club coach support.

30. Vol Horn 4 Life

Are you insinuating there is money being exchanged with select organizations to funnel talent? If so please post some proof that it is a rampant problem because I've never seen it.

If not then what does compliance have to do with coaches working with clubs or select organizations? I know of zero rules making it illegal to do.

Just a theory, but when Clark started, clubs were not really that big. Maybe she just never adapted to working with those organizations as the numbers grew. I would be shocked if UT told her not to work with them.

Last edited: May 25, 2018