Conservatives and libs live in different universes

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Laphroaig10, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

This is an interesting piece. Here are the subject's main categories of approaching issues of political morality:

2. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I think that if I did a study where I got to frame the points in any language I wanted, I could probably get the result I was looking for as well.

3. converse

converse 250+ Posts

In reply to:

4. TahoeHorn

TahoeHorn 1,000+ Posts

I agree with the premise.

An interesting application is in officiating sports games. It is not uncommon for a game to be decided by honest, but poor, officiating. Some people (including me) say "That's unfortunate, but paart of the game. The rules say, and I agree, that the result should stand." I call these people "law people". Others say "The result is a travesty. We should appeal to a higher authority and instate the fair result." I call these people "fairness people". I see these two mindsets in many other areas of life. Do you believe in "law" or "fairness"?

Another application in sports which is interesting has to do with interpreting "fairness". Is it fair to give every Little Leauge player equal playing time, or equal time at shortstop? Or is it fair to let the best players get the most time and play the most important positions? Should everybody get a trophy? Again, the principles extend to other areas of life. Unlike the first example, though, there are many groups. Most people (including me) aren't purely one way or the other. And many (including me) treat six year olds differently from twelve year olds, and twelve year olds differently from adults. Is fairness about equal opportunity or equal results? What is equal opportunity?

5. jameson_bond

jameson_bond 500+ Posts

6. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

They definitely are in different universes. Unfortunately all of us too often make the same mistake: assume everyone thinks like we do. Because the other side's positions don't logically flow from our own basic assumptions, we jump to conclusions like they're crazy, evil, or stupid.

That's not to say there aren't times worth fighting for, where the other side is uninformed or biased.

7. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Hmmm, "law" or "fairness?" Easy. If North Carolina is playing Clemson on TV, I'm for "law." If I'm sitting in the Cotton Bowl in October, there damn sure better be some "fairness" happening down there.
    Maybe it's not so easy, after all.

8. TahoeHorn

TahoeHorn 1,000+ Posts

9. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

10. Battleship

Battleship 25+ Posts

11. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

12. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

13. jameson_bond

jameson_bond 500+ Posts

14. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

15. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

16. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

I disagree. I don't think that most people have any ideological leaning.

17. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

That Colbert study is hilarious.

18. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

19. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

20. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

21. softlynow

softlynow 1,000+ Posts

22. Laphroaig10