Convert LP grill to NG

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by JohnnyM, Apr 12, 2010.

1. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

I have an LP grill and a NG hookup at home. I don't want to buy a conversion kit (and I don't think one exists for my grill, at least last time I looked). Anyone done this? From various searches it looks like it should be simple, but none of the directions I can find give me the confidence to try it. Anyone?

2. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

You should be able to drill out the gas orifice. You'd need to do some research to determine how much larger to make it based on what it currently is. I'd try to get a replacement orifice to do it on just in case it doesn't work well. You may also need to adjust the air supply control to get a blue flame.

3. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

Johnny, you do realize the the replacement orfices cost about 33 cents each, don't you?

LP burns a lot hotter then NG, so you need to increase the flow of NG to get the same temps from the grill.

As the previous poster said, it's probably possible to drill it to a larger diameter.

4. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

5. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

gimme the make and model and I'll look into what's needed.

6. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

It's a Brinkmann 4-burner grill...I think it is the one here:
    The Link

7. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

I'll look into it and get back to you.

8. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

The Link

You need to double check the model number. The good news is this gives the specs for the orfice sizes, so the drill out method is a possibility.

9. orangebones

orangebones 500+ Posts