Cool cycling show on this Sunday - Discovery HD

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by jt09, Jan 10, 2008.

1. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

A friend of mine, Rob Davis, just sent me an email about a show I think a bunch of you will find pretty interesting.

Hello All,

This Sunday, January 13 is the premiere of the show that I produced for the Discovery HD Theater network along with my good friends from the Texas Crew: Chris Phillips, Rob Lee and Alex Herrera, with extra special help in Spain from Ian Kasnoff and Jan Vanderstyuft.

This year we took two amateur cyclists, and gave them a glimpse into the world of professional cycling. Our riders started their adventure with new bikes from Trek, then we took them to Spain to meet with team director, Johan Bruyneel and some of the best riders in the world, George Hincappie, Tom Danielson and Levi Leipheimer.

After a bit of professional coaching with Carmichael Training Systems in Colorado Springs, we took them over to France to ride the toughest mountain stage of the 2007 Tour de France, stage 16, finishing on the Col d'Aubisque.

Our riders, Joe and Adam, are two great guys, and the show about them gives us a look at just how difficult pro cycling is through their eyes (and aching muscles). Below is a schedule for the show on HD Theater, and a youtube link for the promo. Enjoy!

-Rob-

YouTube promo

Riding the Tour de France: Livin' the Dream - HD Theater (Discovery Channel)

(All listings are for EASTERN time zone, check your local listings)
    Jan 13, 8:00 pm
    Jan 13, 11:00 pm

Jan 14, 4:00 pm

Jan 19, 3:00 am

Jan 20, 4:00 pm

Jan 26, 4:00 pm

Feb 03, 6:00 pm

2. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

Cool. Thanks for the PSA.

3. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

ditto that

4. WhiteH2O Horn

WhiteH2O Horn 250+ Posts

Thanks. I've been looking forward to this.

On another subject, does anyone know if "The Tour, Baby" (I think that's what it's called0 is available on DVD? It was a documentary done by (if I remember correctly) someone from one of the cycling websites.

5. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

6. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

No problem guys - I knew there would be some interest here.

Rob's filmed/recorded/produced a ton of good stuff on cycling, mostly on Lance over the last couple of years, including The Lance Chronicles (I think that's what the name of the Discovery show about LA leading up to his last TDF was called).

7. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

That was pretty cool. How the hell do you win something like that?

Between the sweet new wheels, training rides with Hincapie and Leipheimer in Spain, consulting with Carmichael and Bruneel, and hanging with Discovery after the big win, that's quite the package.

8. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

Finally had a chance to watch it. Great show. I would have loved to see a few more hours worth. The look on Bruyneel's face when he found out how much they had been training was classic.

A lot of the European training clips reminded me of the rides in France I got to do a couple of summers ago. The longest climb was about 7.25 miles at 5.7%. I can't imagine doing three steeper climbs in a day, but I'd love to have the chance.