Coronavirus

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Clean, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Has there ever been a vaccine 100% without side effects?
    If you actually read the article you find the palsy is temporary and that the scientists do not think the palsy was a result of the shot.
    If I were in a high risk category I would have to weigh that.
    I am not so will not be rushing to take a vaccine shot

2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

No. What I'm saying is that if a vaccine is rushed, there's a good chance that quality and regulatory corners are being cut as the tort liability corner was cut. Because of that, I'm not going to rush out and get the vaccine in a panic. The death rate for people in my demographic is far too low to take that kind of risk. Might I eventually get the vaccine? Sure, but I'll let those with Covid paranoia be the guinea pigs, and maybe in a year, I'll get it

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Backlash? No way! Who woulda ever thunk that??

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

5. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

6. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

The great thing about masks (really pieces of thin cotton on your face, touched dozens of times per hour and infrequently washed) is that like all magic objects, lack of any appreciable benefit is from lack of Belief!, not that they're useless.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. matt_lee

matt_lee < 25 Posts

This meme is beyond stupid. You wouldn't know if you got cancer or HIV either unless you get tested.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  8. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I think people normally test fro cancer after bloodwork indicates possible issues. Also, long term, unexplainable pain or sickness may lead to that.

Why are so many people testing for Covid? Have you had a headache this year? Did you run to the Covid testing facility?

9. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

Yeah we had someone at work test weekly without symptoms, well he tested positive I think false positive. No symptoms, tested negative back at work.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  10. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

What a douchecanoe.

11. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

We test people when they have a need to be tested - symptomatic or have been in contact with a known positive. They key to opening up the world was masking, aggressive testing and contract testing; and quarantining probables and the ultras high risk.

12. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

He voluntarily tested, we didn’t test him.

13. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

There are some paranoid people out there. There are some out there f’n trying to get it to stay home for a few weeks.

14. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

Free testing, we did have a doctor ok to him come onsite. I work at a Chemical company I have not been on site for a while.

15. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

But even with all that the number of people coming down with the Wuhan are higher than they've ever been.

Contact tracing is a great idea - if this is the movie Outbreak and you're hunting around for that missing monkey. When 80,000 people per day test positive - pretty hard to figure out who those 80,000 folks might have been in contact with. And you have 24 hours to get that done, as tomorrow there will be another 80 grand of positive tests.

Why it's almost like the Wuhan behaves just like a bad flu, where there's no chance of trying to contain it as it's too widespread, and too contagious.

You could tell people to take basic precautions of sanitation, work on a seasonal vaccine, and treat the sick. Or you could try to ruin the economy, put 30 million people out of work, destroy a huge number of small businesses, but drive Tech and Amazon stock to record high levels. Whichever benefits the Ruling Class the most.

16. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Reminds me of you: Enemy of the State (1998)

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I now have a friend who got covid eating out
    He and his wife got it but the third person eating with them did not
    The restaurant was Fogo de Chão
    He said it was very rough, trouble breathing, felt horrible. He is diabetic and so was pretty worried, but they are on the upswing now.
    The only others I know who've had it have been friends' parents.

The "while dining out" part of the story is a little troubling ....

19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Depends on the air flow inside the restaurant. If they were downwind (due to a fan) of an infected person, then yes it’s possible.

Did your friend take preventive antibiotics or anything else after becoming positive?

20. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Just curious, how does he know he got it there?

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It was the only place they've been

22. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

In 10 days? I think this is one of the biggest challenges with the virus. It lies dormant for a long time. Regardless, hope and pray they fully recover. My brother remains in the hospital, but is out of ICU and finishing the Redemsivir. He was exposed at work from an employee.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Why? Fogo de Chao brings meat from table to table. Assess the risk and live with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Sorry to hear that but glad he is recovering. I don't think it lies dormant though. It lives in aerosol. I listened to an epidemiologist back in February how virus' in aerosol are the most virulent. At the time, doctors didn't think COVID did that. Now that we know it, there isn't much you can do to avoid it if you go out in public at all. Best bet is to keep yourself as healthy as possible and make your own judge about how you want to live. COVID is serious but the only way to get through it is to pass through the fire. Well, unless the vaccine really works.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

And Fogo de Chão is probably a more likely restaurant for spreading it than most. People are constantly getting up from the table to go to the salad bar, and the staff are constantly visiting the table to bring more food. There's probably more mingling than you'd get at a restaurant where people are just ordering a meal and then sitting down and eating it.

26. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

You are correct. I used the wrong term. What I was trying to say is that people can have it long before they have symptoms. It is hard to pinpoint when you got it unless you know someone who is sick and you get it soon after contact with them. Even then, you might have been the carrier the aforementioned got it from.

27. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Has it ever been determined definitely that one having gotten over it can get reinfected? And I know this would normally not be the case but can someone testing positive for the antibody possibly be infective to someone? Things are completely insane this year, d*** Covid 19.

28. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Only 2 people out of 100 million infected apparently has gotten it twice. The vaccines are still working 4 months after inoculation. There is still a question of whether a person with AB (natural or vaccinated or given as a drug like Regeneron) can still be a carrier. Even if true everyone would agree the likelihood would be far less.

29. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Wow, that terrible luck. For the last 9 months I've been working in retail with 550 employees, 35,000 customers per week and eat out one meal almost every single day, celebrated 4th of July and Thanksgiving with about 25 of my closest friends, go to the Domaine regularly shopping with my family and haven't gotten sick. They go out one time to a restaurant and get sick. That sucks!

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It was. I still eat out a lot, and also do quite a bit of take out and/or delivery.
    Part of it is that I am not a great cook outside grilling and crawfish*, but another part is I want to keep my favorite spots alive

*my crawfish are the best, as long as you like them spicy