Coronavirus

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Clean, Jan 28, 2020.

1. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Dude will turn 82 this year. We should require all these old farts to get out of public service after 74.

2. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Me, too, theiisoftx. I'll vote for the GOP candidate, even if it's Trump. I fear that if Trump is the nominee, the Dems will turn out in record numbers to vote against him (not "for" the Dem candidate, just "against" Trump) - and that would have many ramifications down-ballot. I prefer DeSantis or Nikki Haley.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I’d vote for Tom Herman over trump.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Maybe we can get John Blake to run.

5. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I wouldn't have an arbitrary limit - certainly not in all of public service. At least within DoDEA (my wife's agency), the older employees tend to be the best ones.

6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

We'd be insane to nominate Trump again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Trump won’t be nominated again, but he will go scorched earth during the process opening up an independent like Perot to hand the democrats a win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

So you're saying that, in a way, Trump would save the Republic. Interesting way to go out. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

No he could destroy it by helping another idiot like Biden be POTUS. Certainly you don’t think the country is headed in the right direction? I’m guessing you might ignore the question.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

The unemployment rate is at a SIGNIFICANT low. Unemployment Rate by Year Since 1929 Compared to Inflation and GDP
    Consumer spending is up slightly. There are positive signs compared to perceptions. We were due for a market correction and have been for some time. Trump took office on a 128 month streak of positives - the longest in history. Trump's people saw it coming and fought it off with deficit spending. I mean he was inheriting that economy and campaigned on "American Carnage" and promised to eliminate the national debt in 8 years - I guess he was planning on doing that in his second term. He was a charlatan.

The pandemic changed the economy on Trump and I don't blame him for anything that happened with the economy because of it. I just think it's laughable that we're gonna blame Biden for a global trend. Keep on keeping on, I guess.

Because I know you'll love it, here's a very good summary in wikipedia of the pre-pandemic Trump economy:

President Trump inherited an economy in January 2017 that was already at a record level on many key measures, such as the number of persons with jobs,[19] real median household income,[21] household net worth,[22] and stock market level. It also featured a low unemployment rate of 4.7%, very low inflation, and a moderate budget deficit.[23][3] While Trump referred to "American carnage" in his first inaugural address and announced an "America First" economic strategy,[24][25] overall the economy when he began was on solid ground in terms of major aggregate measures.[3][4] The Congressional Budget Office forecast in January 2017 that assuming the continuation of Obama policies (current law), real GDP growth would be 1.8% in 2017 and 2.3% in 2018, and unemployment would continue falling to 4.4% by 2018, as the economy reached full employment.[26]

A key part of Trump's economic strategy was to temporarily boost growth via tax cuts and additional spending,[2] with mixed success.[27] Comparing the 2014–2016 period (President Obama's last three years) with the 2017–2019 period (President Trump's first three years), actual results included several variables that continued their previous improvement trends, such as the unemployment rate, which had been falling since 2010 for all ethnic groups.[28] Some variables improved (e.g., real GDP growth and nominal wage growth) while others worsened (e.g., inflation and real wage growth).[6][27] Compared to the January 2017 Congressional Budget Office (CBO) ten-year forecast just prior to Trump's inauguration, the unemployment rate, job creation, and real GDP improved over the 2017–2019 period.[26]

Contributing to this economic performance were large annual budget deficits of $779 billion in 2018 and $984 billion in 2019, about 60% above the CBO 10-year forecast.[26] Sustained economic expansions have historically brought down deficits, indicating the high degree to which economic stimulus has helped growth under Trump.[2] CBO explained in January 2020 that budget deficits averaged 1.5% of GDP over the past 50 years when the economy was "relatively strong (as it is now)." However, the budget deficit was 4.6% GDP in fiscal year 2019 and was expected to average 4.8% GDP over the 2021–2030 period.[1][29] The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget estimated in January 2020 that President Trump had signed $4.2 trillion of additional debt into law for the 2017–2026 decade, and $4.7 trillion for 2017–2029. This was on top of the $17.2 trillion debt held by the public and the $9.2 trillion already expected to be added to the debt excluding these proposals.[30]
    Trump falsely characterized the economy during his presidency as the best in American history over 250 times.[55][56]

11. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Thanks for the synopsis of Trump. All you got is unemployment is low, but by all looks at reality it’s not an accurate number in true measurement. Ever heard of the “great resignation?”

inflation is at a 40 year high
    There are National shortages in food, especially baby formula
    There is a fentanyl crisis
    There is a crime crisis
    There is a border crisis
    China and Russia are walking all over us
    There is no strategy with Covid
    Americans are more split than ever

but again I appreciate the response.

• Like Like x 2
  12. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

But for the 40 year high and the shortages (that are pandemic related) those all existed on 1/19/2021. They're not "new things".

We're not more split than ever. We've not had a dual in years. :)

13. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Hopefully this gets addressed in the very near future.

14. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Huh? I don't get it.
    Dual: consisting of two parts, elements, or aspects.

How do you relate this to politics to say we are not more split than ever? Duality implies a split by its very definition.

15. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

dual, duel? The one where you pace and shoot at the other one. English is a second language to me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Sangre Naranjada

Oh, hell. In my head I never clicked on "duel". Yes, that makes more sense. My bad.

• Like Like x 1
  17. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Idoit

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Switzer is right that Biden didn't start these fires. However . .

(1) He has poured significant amounts of gasoline on them and has tried to pour even more than he has.

(2) Most of them are products of policies his party and others of a similar mindset on other nations support - weak criminal laws, recklessly inflationary fiscal and monetary policies, weak border security, and discouraging domestic energy production (and therefore encouraging reliance on Russian and Middle Eastern energy).

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Oh, Bubbs....you slay us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

21. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

They’re aggies. :|

22. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

That seems more fitting.

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Bubba defending Biden is akin to the mother of a mass murderer saying, "He's a good boy".

Even Libs with half a brain want Biden gone.

• Like Like x 1
  24. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Just the statement “but for the 40 year high and the shortages” is funny.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Inflation is at a 40 year high due to the pandemic. It would have happened if God was president. That’s my point.

The AC version of bubba could argue that Russia released covid in china to hide the solar winds hack that was simply to have tentacles spread wide and secretly prior to their Ukrainian adventures.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
  26. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, the inflation had absolutely nothing to do with the pouring of funny money into the economy. lol

• Like Like x 1
  27. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

And therein lies the problem - many liberals don't have half a brain.

• Hot Hot x 1
  29. Sangre Naranjada

Inflation is at a 40 year high because the morons in the federal bureaucracy decided to print unimaginably huge amounts of fiat currency and dumped it all on the market in response to the pandemic. The pandemic itself had nothing to do with inflation.

30. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Agree 100%.

Just to be clear, you’re saying it’s NOT Biden’s fault with that statement.