Coronavirus

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Clean, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Man, look at all those racist flu names: Russian, Spanish, Hong Kong, Asian.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

FB_IMG_1585937677275.jpg

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

Example of Government/Bureaucratic efficiency
    The 1,000-Bed Comfort Was Supposed to Aid New York. It Has 20 Patients.

A few excerpts:
    On Thursday, though, the huge white vessel, which officials had promised would bring succor to a city on the brink, sat mostly empty, infuriating local hospital executives. The ship’s 1,000 beds are largely unused, its 1,200-member crew mostly idle.

Only 20 patients had been transferred to the ship, officials said, even as New York hospitals struggled to find space for the thousands infected with the coronavirus. Another Navy hospital ship, the U.S. Naval Ship Mercy, docked in Los Angeles, has had a total of 15 patients, officials said.

“If I’m blunt about it, it’s a joke,” said Michael Dowling, the head of Northwell Health, New York’s largest hospital system.
    and

A tangle of military protocols and bureaucratic hurdles has prevented the Comfort from accepting many patients at all.

On top of its strict rules preventing people infected with the virus from coming on board, the Navy is also refusing to treat a host of other conditions. Guidelines disseminated to hospitals included a list of 49 medical conditions that would exclude a patient from admittance to the ship.

Ambulances cannot take patients directly to the Comfort; they must first deliver patients to a city hospital for a lengthy evaluation — including a test for the virus — and then pick them up again for transport to the ship.

At a morning briefing Thursday, officials said three patients had been moved to the Comfort. After The New York Times published an article with that number, Elizabeth Baker, a spokeswoman for the Navy, said the number had increased to 20 by late in the day. “We’re bringing them on as fast as we can bring them on,” she said.

Hospital leaders said they were exasperated by the delays.​

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Since I started looking into this, Ive learned the Belgium people are pretty nasty.

5. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

^^^^^ So do the math:

Belgiums = Oklahomans

6. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Test results came back positive.

To recap, never had any symptoms such as cough, fever, or aches.

Lost smell and taste on March 24th and it has been slowly returning since March 28th.

Doctor says quarantine for 12 more days, 14 from test date. Also says in spite of being 51, I'm in really good shape and healthy and further symptoms are unlikely.

So, headed outside shortly to do yard work.

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 4
  7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Lots of EU officials are in Belgium.

8. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Yes the policies for getting people on a the Navy ship as patients needed adjusting
    But they are adjusting. Soon both ships will do what they were sent there for.

Damn some people act like they want everything to fail .

• Like Like x 1
  9. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

And some people would be willing to walk off a ledge without question if the authorities told them it’s alright. Is that you? Sounds like it.

10. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

That makes no sense and you know it.
    Adjustments had to be made and they were.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn 500+ Posts

PE teacher here. How are your kids doing with distance learning? I'm curious how parents are feeling.

12. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

It was known in January, three months ago, that this plague was coming. We were told no worry, everything is under control. Now the medical system is in the same sort of frantic scramble that China went through even as our politicians criticized and mocked their mistakes. The lack of supplies and preparation on the part of the authorities was total failure. Crawl back under your rock.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

My daughter is working at home while simultaneously having to supervise instructional learning for her 7 year old daughter (my granddaughter). She doesn’t enjoy it.

14. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

I missed you sounding the alarm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

I must have been out stocking up on toilet paper.

16. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn 500+ Posts

I would imagine doing both is really hard. Getting the kids back...most likely next school year... is going to be like no other year. There will be significant gaps with some, none with others. This is definitely uncharted territory for all of us. I'm just thankful that I'm a PE teacher right now, and not a classroom teacher. I feel like my job is easier at this point because mine can be more open ended than that of a classroom teacher with so many defined objectives.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  17. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

You couldn’t pay me enough to be a classroom teacher now. Only a nurse would be worse I guess.

18. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Anybody want to take this softball?

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

We homeschool younger kids and then drop them back into middle school. I heard that some parents are realizing that different kids learn at different paces. And it takes one to one teaching for certain kids with certain subjects. Every homeschool parent says Duh!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

@SabreHorn I read today that the tests are only 70% accurate, which all the medical professionals know. As such, the diagnosis is based on symptoms, not the test if it comes back negative. So, it appears you were right, but wrong in the sense that the medical professionals are relying on the test.

21. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Somebody needs to pay attention to this guy in Sugar Land who has a test and device that gives results in less than five minutes. Test yourself at home every day.

23. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I heard abbot has 2000 machines distributed already.

25. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

There are18,000 Abbott units nationwide.
    The feds sent another 2000 units to places like the Indian Health Org
    DrBrix explained that in places with the new Abbott devices many are still only using the old devices/

26. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Each college and pro football team should get one for fall practice to start.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

E87012D6-8082-475F-8D93-1F95E1415B1C.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 1
  28. towersniper

towersniper 100+ Posts

And also Woosterman:
    The country is Belgium, the people and adjectival form = "Belgian." Not being a grammar/ vocab nazi, or ragging on you. Just a pet peeve - a very common misuse. Trash them correctly in the future.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  29. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

So, to make your point, you misspell WorsterMan. Funny.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

We were told by the pathologist that test sent to the lab overnight is 99+%. The POC tests are supposedly 97% accurate. I’d like to know the truth.