Cosmi will return for the Longhorns offense

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by bigrob35, Jan 6, 2020.

1. bigrob35

bigrob35 25+ Posts

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Didn't get the feedback he wanted I guess

3. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Cosmi is a good player, but he had some games where he stunk it up. Still getting him back is huge for this offense next year. We basically only have 2 line positions to fill next year. And we have a lot of guys that can fill them.

This is what I think the line will start out looking like.
    LT - Cosmi
    LG - Tyler Johnson
    C - Derek Kerrstetter
    RG - Junior Angilau
    RT - Reese Moore/Denzel Okafor/Christian Jones/Isiah Hookfin

As you can see, Right Tackle will likely be a dog fight.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  4. bigrob35

bigrob35 25+ Posts

Cosmi will not be a first rounder in the draft next year, but he is a quality player. Glad to see him come back next season. He did make some mistakes, and seemed to jump offsides quite a bit. Hopefully he can work on perfecting his game. Oline should be pretty good as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Smart move.:hookem:

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I agree with the general sentiment that Cosmi is a good player, but needs some more work to be NFL ready. The speed rushers seemed to be an issue for him at times, and he holds quite a bit. Still, he could be first team all conference next year and at least be in the conversation for all-American honors as a senior the year after that.

He’s quick off the line and with his hands and feet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I like your lineup. If we had to pick the RT tomorrow, it would be Okafor. He played pretty well this year. IMHO he’d be even better if he was 15-20 lbs lighter.

Ghirmai struggles some, but the staff sees big things in store for him, and he has the building blocks to be good. He would be the second C. As good as the film is on our incoming Freshman C (Majors), he needs a RS and time in the college weight room. Other options are to start Ghirmai at C and use Kerstetter as the filler at any spot with an injured man. Kerstetter can plug in anywhere on the line, provided that Ghirmai can perform at C.

Also, we might see Hookfin as a backup LT. Hookfin and Karic look like LTs.

8. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

If you aren't in the first 2 rounds you should come back. Too many of these guys left early and went round 5 or worse. Still think LJH should have tried to bulk up to play TE at the NFL. He had to have known he ran a 4.75. You just can't play WR with a 4.7+. I'm concerned for CJ's speed as well. He goes out and runs a 4.7 he's going to have the same issues. 4.6 maybe. But not higher. Hell NFL LBs are faster than that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

What kind of feedback do these kids get from the NFL? Is it strictly where they rank? What round could they reasonably expect to be taken in? Or is it more in depth? Do they get any input on what are their strengths and weaknesses?

10. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

If you are talking out of your *** then the percentages are in your favor. If you are thinking you see something in his game that says he isn't a 1st round pick, then you don't know football. He has all the tools to be a franchise offensive tackle. He has shut down some damn good defensive linemen going back to his red shirt freshmen year.

He has great feet and lateral movement. I have yet to see him get over powered, that tells me he has good strength and a solid punch. His game is a lot like Mike Munchek or Bruce Matthews. Quick feet, solid technique, and a bit tenacious.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

^^^^THIS.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

And he can catch ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I don't want to be misunderstood. I think (absent major injury) Cosmi will ultimately be in the NFL, and probably as a high round draft pick--likely a first rounder if he stays through his Senior year. I stand by what I said way back that Cosmi could develop into one of the all-time great Texas Longhorn linemen, and an All-American. He has the raw talent and skills to get there.

If, however, he came out after his Sophomore year (this year), he'd likely be looking at the middle or lower-middle rounds and a very so-so $ contract. He still could use some polish, work on eliminating the holding calls, and experience taking on the top speed rushers. But he's a real good OL, the best on the team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

And he should provide a hell of a good role model for Karic to emulate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Doubt it but we’ll c next year, I guess...

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  17. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think he's worried about the cautionary tale of Connor Williams at this point and biding his time until he's definitely a first rounder. Williams wasn't ready for the positional change-o-matic they've been wringing him through in Dallas, although he had moments of improvement when he wasn't hurt this past season.

18. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

That is about the least amount of gut I've ever seen on an offensive lineman...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1