Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by Third Coast, May 5, 2014.

1. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I've been a fan of these type of shows dating back to the days of Carl Sagan and the original Cosmos series. I've enjoyed Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman and Stephen Hawking's various endeavors, but this show - Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey - with Neil deGrasse Tyson may be my favorite of them all.

I used to think of deGrasse Tyson as a tad grandiose for my taste, but in reality no more so that Hawking with a different sort of delivery. I suppose one doesn't project that type of intellect without coming across as somewhat pompous. I guess I just overlooked it more easily with Hawking, because of what he's overcome to get to where he has been.

At any rate, this show is pretty amazing and I have to admit that Tyson is perfect for the part. I found it intellectually compelling, as well as visually stunning. It's worth checking out if you're into Sci-Nonfi presented with an intriguing theme as it relates to what's here, there and everywhere.

2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Love it. Tyson is probably the leading voice (in the US anyway) promoting scientific literacy, and I think he is superb. His passion for the material always comes across as genuine, his knowledge is vast and he communicates it so well.

I was listening to his Star Talk podcast for a while, but he has these “comics” on the show with him who add absolutely nothing and often just make a good show unbearable. I couldn’t listen any more.

3. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

Great show. DeGrasse is a Texas Ex [​IMG] .

Not to get sidetracked, but shows like this really reinforces my view of how freaking amazing and elegant God as a creator is. I'm not sure if that's what they were going for.

4. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin