COTA

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Texas Taps, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

APRIL 19-20-21 2013
    [​IMG]

mmmmmmm, Honda

2. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Youtube has plenty of testing and interviews with MotoGP racers and teams in case you did not already know. Since it's a new track they are getting familiar with it for obvious reasons. They don't want to mess up their man leather.

3. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Yea, motohouston.com is all up in it [​IMG]

4. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Figured y'all were. It was a just in case.

5. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Y'all hear about the corner marshals opting out as long as COTA keeps screwing Schwantz?

6. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Kevin Schwantz will be on Wind Tunnel Sunday night. Send tweets to @SPEEDWindTunnel if you'd like to suggest a question for him.

7. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

^^^^^^ [​IMG] to the even possibly short return of the Man Dingo.

8. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Thanks l00P. [​IMG]

I went to the Gypsy Lounge watch party today. Great crowd and great race! Kevin and the FreeKevin34 people were their guests. They did not suggest a boycott of the race. They did suggest a show of support for Kevin by wearing his colors or other gear along with that of your favorite current rider.

Pics & video later.

9. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Pics from the Gypsy Lounge Watch Party:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.625893177425231.1073741845.157330087614878&type=1

[​IMG]

10. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Just heard there are some Supercars out there testing right now. Probably heading that way soon to get a few shots.

Also, there's this. The city's F1 weekend report has been released:

"F1 Austin not huge success for small businesses, report finds"
    The Link

LMAO at this. The city annexes only the track property and then tells the county they should add bike lanes and widen the roads. ********.

11. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

The reported effect on small business is not too far removed from some recent reports on the effect of development of all the self-contained resorts on the Mayan Riviera; guests don't leave the resorts and consequently don't spend any money with local eateries and businesses.

Can't help but figure JerryWorld is the same for Arlington (or, as Kevin Sumlin noted, there's a draw to playing in Dallas). Z-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-N-G!!!!

12. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

O/T yeah...we stayed in an all-inclusive resort down there one time & found we did exactly that...eat & drank there & not much of anywhere else. That was the last time we ever stayed in an all-inclusive hotel & we've been backed probably 12-14 times since then.

The benefits of staying in smaller places, literally a few yards from the water, & getting out & eating with the locals are limitless.

COTA has made a huge effort to extend their "island" into downtown, with the Fan Fest.

13. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The lack of anything resembling caring for the majority of the fans will crater the first wet F1 event. Look at the number of bus riders. 100k people walking a mile in the wet on crushed rock or mud only to sit in the rain will make for some real soul searching by those 100k people.

It takes guts to not only stand pat but to raise prices by a fan unfriendly venue.

14. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I don't recall any local businesses or smaller ones going out of their way to make themselves known. It's a town where creativity almost knows no boundaries. Self promotion or well placed advertising or name dropping could go a long way.

Hit the blogs, advertise on some sites, offer something fun and very Austin. But just opening your doors and having a sign saying "Welcome F1 to Austin" won't cut it when the fans don't know to go to that area.

I think the charm of the local places would very much appeal to the crowd and have them coming away with great stories (and maybe souvenir t-shirts and shot glasses).

It almost seems like they expect the people paying big money to be a part of the event to just simply include them because they are local or small. Get on the boat and bring a megaphone.

15. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

From what I heard it wasn't a matter of fans being downtown & the businesses not be able to draw them in. The problem they described was that there just weren't as many people downtown as on a normal weekend. COTA's own economist said it would be like Montreal, where supposedly 100k people come for the race & another 300K come for the party. Now, that doesn't actually happen in Montreal. I've been to that race. It's great & the crowd is very good, but 300K for the party? That's preposterous. If even a fraction of that had happened here, downtown would have been swamped & nobody would be complaining.

That said, they probably wouldn't be complaining either if they hadn't bought into COTA's pie-in-the-sky predictions.

As for the weather and standing pat...they said they'd be resuming construction right after the USGP, to continue for another year. They've done nothing in the way of construction or improving the grounds.

We've talked quite a bit about what would/will happen if they get even moderate Texas rains just before or during an event. They got a little glimpse of that during MotoGP when a very brief moderate rain early Thursday shut down their biggest pay lot, Lot F, all day Friday. They've been extremely lucky with weather given their level of infrastructure. My buddy told Epstein that very thing the other day. He just smiled, then started talking about the Bermuda they're trying to grow out in the lots. If they get any real rain, Bermuda's just gonna tear up under the cars & be a total mess.

The way the weather's looking right now & maybe even into next week, they might be in for some wet lots.

16. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

They better not f this up and f themselves in the process because we suffer too.

I vote Mandingo as the man in charge.

17. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Haha...That'd be sweet.

BTW,

Former Longhorns meet Aussie V8 speed and power
    The Link

18. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

My worlds have collided...

[​IMG]

19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Mandingo for Commander of COTA!

20. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

2 votes down...

So COTA offers $49 single-day tickets, then discounts them even further, to $30-35 on Groupon. Wow.

Also, we got some pics yesterday morning of V8 Supercars & their gear arriving in the COTA paddock. Enjoy:

The Link

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Ricky Williams' V8 Supercars Hot Lap
    The Link

22. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

23. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I want to say it again because I mean it.

Welcome Back to posting! Such greatness in the link.

24. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

If y'all want cheap parking, just go to Mr. Haywood's hill out by turn 11. He has parking on his property for $10 or so per day. Just go to the entrance to Lots L & M and turn in. When the COTA parking attendants come up to you to collect, just tell them you're going to Mr. Haywood's & they have to let you in, because he shares that entrance with COTA. If they ask you for ID, as they have before at times when people said they were going to Haywood's, tell 'em to go f**k themselves. Then just go to the end of Lot M and turn left onto Mr. Haywood's driveway. When you get close to his house, you'll see the road split off to the right from his driveway. Go right and down the hill a little, then park. Then walk back out to Lots L & M to walk into the track. You'll see a mailbox where you can leave your money. I'd probably leave a description of my vehicle, too. I'll probably park there myself.

[​IMG]

25. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Just Jedi mind trick 'em. "You don't need to see my ID"
    They'll wave you through.

Good tip to know.

26. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Just FYI, I talked to Mr. Haywood today, and he confirmed that he will be open for parking and present to collect donations.

I just finally got a decent camera, after thousands of pics of this track and racing there...and finally got to use it today.

Here are some very distant shots of GT3 and World Challenge practice from earlier today:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.643874275627121.1073741859.157330087614878&type=1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Sooo...after that we went over the Wild Bubba's just in time to catch a group of V8 Supercars drivers walking in the door for a bite to eat.

The Link

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Below, L-R: Tony D'Alberto, Scott Pye, me, Fabian Coulthard, Chaz Mostert

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

29. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

97 degrees out at COTA today. So at least we had that going for us. I forgot my hat & had to fork over $30 to COTA for one of their craptastic beauties because my head felt like it might burst into flames if I didn't. Gave it to my kid when I got home though. He loves it, so it's all good.

I'll post some photos later. Hope I can find a couple good ones.

BTW, there's a rather large snag with parking for this race at Haywood's Hill. Contrary to what is noted on COTA's map for V8s, they are not opening lots L & M this weekend. That also means they aren't opening any of the gates on the east side of the track in the morning...and only one or two much closer to T1 a little later on. I had me a nice long walk this morning and afternoon. Any other race, though, this is a great option, as you can just enter right there T10 or T11.

30. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Been through only about 1/3 of my pics from today, but I went ahead & posted a gallery:

The Link

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]