COTA

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Texas Taps, Mar 14, 2013.

1. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

From my vantage point there were plenty of buses between 07:00 and 07:30 each morning. Something seem to drain the number of buses as each day wore on. Could have been traffic not letting them bunch up like early in the morning.

After looking at the map, the issue of no service on the backside I assume was a track choice.

2. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

They just announced that Steve Sexton is departing COTA, and Jason Dial will be replacing him as CEO. Timing seems a little odd, as I thought they just had another successful race weekend. For those who follow this more closely, what do you suppose is going on?

3. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Mandingo, the above are by far the best photos you've submitted so far and buddy, you have subed some great ones. I say so because of the looks on the boys faces getting the hat. That is so awesome. Way to go Dad, way to go!

4. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Yeah man. Thanks, they really enjoyed that. I heard about that signing just a few minutes before (or I woulda told y'all about it). Mom was on the way home with the boys & I got her to stop at the mall & get them in line. Never woulda happened without her!

Sorry I've been away. Crazy, CRAZY busy weekend with all the Shell crew shuttling us all over the place. Then recovery, work, etc...

Here are some Friday photos:

The Link

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

I finally managed to get through all my Saturday USGP pics too. About 130 at the link. Sunday pics to follow asap!

The Link

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

7. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

8. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Goodness gracious. Words don't adequately express how much I enjoy your photos. I love the one with the Heli hovering atop a turn with a car there. It's almost ominous looking. Thank you once again for sharing.

9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thanks for the pictures Mandingo.

When do we start a 2014 thread? December 1?

10. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Yeah pretty soon probably. I'm looking for the winter testing schedule as we speak!

11. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Hey guys. Finally finished my Sunday USGP pics. Almost 300 of 'em here. Enjoy!

The Link

Here's a preview:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

I think we talked about this months ago. Back during the week of the race, we were told that the WEC/FIA had called a meeting with COTA people & told them that they wouldn't be returning to COTA under the same management, and that the event was the worst-run event they'd ever seen. Now John Dagys has filed a story about it.

So, apparently even though COTA is still on the calendar, it's still not a done deal.

SPORTSCARS: FUTURE UNCLEAR FOR COTA WEC/TUSC EVENT
    The Link

13. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

But hey, we get Foxworthy's Redneck Festival. So you know, it's all good. Right?
    The Link

14. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

Not funny. Not funny at all.

On a serious note, have you heard the rumblings about NASCAR wanting a race here in the 3 to 5 year time frame? As in wanting it very much.

15. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Nah. Hadn't heard. If it happens it will be Nationwide, and that's not cheap, either. It won't happen unless Bobby is willing to pay, and we know how that goes.

Did you hear it on the web?

16. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Gossage will throw a fit just like he did with IndyCar when they showed some interest in COTA. He was ok with Houston since he knew it would fail.

The facility management is bad, but what I have read on the WEC is more sponsoring organization issues rather than facility issues. I am going to make one more run at a proven facility management firm, but working with Red's people is very difficult.

18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Interesting: Link

19. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

20. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

No NJ at least until 2015 says Bernie.
    The Link

21. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

2014 Calendar has been ratified. USGP on 11/2. Same weekend as NASCAR at TMS.

March 16 - Australia (Melbourne)
    March 30 - Malaysia (Sepang)
    April 6 - Bahrain (Sakhir)
    April 20 - China (Shanghai)
    May 11 - Spain (Barcelona)
    May 25 - Monaco
    June 8 - Canada (Montreal)
    June 22 - Austria (Red Bull Ring)
    July 6 - Britain (Silverstone)
    July 20 - Germany (Hockenheim)
    July 27 - Hungary (Budapest)
    August 24 - Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps)
    September 7 - Italy (Monza)
    September 21 - Singapore
    October 5 - Japan (Suzuka)
    October 12 - Russia (Sochi)
    November 2 - United States (Austin)
    November 9 - Brazil (Interlagos)
    November 23 - Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)

22. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

WEC and Tutor Series showing COTA on the same date - 20 September. Indications are they are trying to partner with Tutor in the morning and WEC afternoon/evening.

23. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Yeah that's what WEC's been saying, but for whatever reason someone seems to be holding things up.

24. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Hearing through the grapevine now that Dan Allen is out as CFO at COTA. No official confirmation as of yet & no further details.

25. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

26. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Vance and I will be part of a group chatting tomorrow with Shell F1 Fuels Project Leader Mike Evans, who works with Scuderia Ferrari formulating their race fuels. Anyone have any questions they'd like us to pass on? We'll try to get you an answer!

27. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Here's a link to the Shell/Mike Evans/F1B video if anyone wants to check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqiiuFv7HcY

28. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Hey y'all. Vance found this. So, is this the plan for 2014? No T9 or T11W, and a return of T2 (which makes no sense because the views there sucked):

[​IMG]

29. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Hey BTW y'all, our Facebook page was nominated for the Statesman Social Media Awards, here:The Link

If you like what we've done here, at Friends of Formula 1 Austin Texas (https://www.facebook.com/FoF1ATX/posts/724931667541651), & on Twitter (@Austin_F1, @FoF1ATX, @vfacundo), go to the link and vote for us...We might get a cool trophy!