Coulda Been...

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by AFhorn82, Aug 3, 2008.

1. AFhorn82

AFhorn82 100+ Posts

Players who never had the opportunity to live up to potential. I always wonder how Richard Walton (starting quarterback in 98 before injury) could have done with Ricky running behind him. I always felt bad for him because he waited behind James Brown for three years and was leading the Big 12 in several caegories before going down.

2. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

How many games did he play before getting hurt?

3. VinceHung

VinceHung 100+ Posts

I actually felt for the poor guy too. I remember he went down in the second game I think before Major took over. Who could have predicted that Major would be such a badass...and of course his road was made easier b/c Cicero was injured too.

4. That's Right

That's Right 500+ Posts

I'll admit that Greg Davis has made some major strides over the years, but the under-utilization of Roy Williams is the ultimate "coulda been" and one of the great travesties of UT football history.

5. copenhagen

copenhagen 25+ Posts

Ivan Williams, Victor Ike, Roy, Kelson, had we kept Redding a linebacker, spinning down all those natural great safeties and making them corners kept some from being real stars, all receivers receiving 2 yard outs, tunnel screens, etc, Garnet smith, mike williams (Lb/DE out of Lindale), many more, there are so so many coulda beens with Mack's teams it can make you sick to dwell.

6. Paul Schulz

Paul Schulz < 25 Posts

The player whose career was the most confusing to me was DE Jermain Anderson (1998-2001) from Texas City. His freshman year he looked like he was going to be something special then next thing I know he was playing in his last game (Holiday Bowl vs. Washington). Every time he was put into games it seemed like he made plays yet I don't think he was ever a full time starter.

7. EPThorn

EPThorn 500+ Posts

Drew Kelson.

How this guy didnt become an all-american is beyond me.

8. Horn@AC

Horn@AC 250+ Posts

The collapse against Colorado in Big 12 champ a few years ago. And if we hadn't roughed the punter on 4th down late in the game. There was no doubt in my mind the Horns behind Major would have drove down and scored the winning touchdown.

Oh well. There's my nostalgia for the week.

9. That's Right

That's Right 500+ Posts

yeah, we shoulda won, but we would have been thoroughly destroyed in the NC game had we won.

10. Horn@AC

Horn@AC 250+ Posts

11. That's Right

That's Right 500+ Posts

Would you have rather lost the NC game by 30 points or enjoyed the classic Holiday Bowl that ensued?

12. Horn@AC

Horn@AC 250+ Posts

Well using hindsight if you told me we would for sure lose the NC by 30. I would take the Holiday Bowl. That was a great comeback no doubt. It's always more fun to watch a great win at a smaller stage, than an embarrasing loss on a bigger one.

13. CHETOLONGHORN

CHETOLONGHORN 250+ Posts

Vince Young running the QB choice with Adrian Peterson.

14. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I wish VY would have been taught by his coaches on how to be a QB and not leave it all up to him costing us a loss to Wazzou and GD to bring him up to speed. Well, that and his being a sponge to pick things up when he had to. The rest is history.

15. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Edorian.... Edwin.....

16. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

Three things in 1995

1. Ditch the 3-4, go to the 4-2-5
    2. Brockermeyer plays senior year
    3. Pinkney plays senior year

17. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Edwin Simmons not having knee problems. That freshman game against OU where he goes for 200 had us all thinking he was the next Earl.

18. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

Simmons had more problems than just with his knee

19. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

20. Thunderhoof

Thunderhoof 250+ Posts

Jason Burleson from back in the day. I can remember getting Inside Texas in the mail back in the day (was it Robert Heard back then?) and reading about how Burleson would be Barry Switzer's biggest nightmare.

Will Goodloe. He had a story similar, I think, to another guy who I would have liked to have seen more of recently -- Jarrell Wilkerson. Both guys left for family reasons.

Mike Williams at DE.

Chris Butcher at RB.

Kelson to some extent (he didn't play much, but his big plays in 05 were as important as any that year in keeping the MNC hopes alive. Most guys who will make this list didn't even have the chance to make contributions like that).

The best example of what could have been that I have seen in the past 20 years was probably Butch Hadnot.

21. Feloin

Feloin 25+ Posts

22. Beef

Beef 100+ Posts

I always felt bad for Richard Walton. He waited his turn behind James Brown and finally was going to get to play his senior year. He broke his hand or finger in the UCLA game (2nd game of the season). Major came on and played well, so Richard never got his spot back. A lot of people complain that Major lost his spot to Chris because of his knee injury, but Major himself took a spot away from a guy because of injury. Richard was/is a stand up guy. I saw him at the Texas / OU game a few years back. I believe he is a doctor.

23. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

24. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

25. No ACL

No ACL 250+ Posts

Hadnot
    Ramonce
    Nader- completely different circumstances obviously

26. mackfan1

mackfan1 1,000+ Posts

Jamaal Charles.

Had one really productive year ('07), then turned pro so his parents could drive a new car. [​IMG] If he was returning, Charles would be a legit Top 3 Heisman candidate, & a first-round pick (instead of 3rd).

27. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

I agree about Jermaine Anderson. The guy always seemed to be around the ball. Seems like reese didn't like his size and thought he was a liability against the run. Guy looked pretty good to me.
    Seems like Jason Burleson played every position on the team in his years here. Same with OJ McKlintock.

I like the op's choice of words using "oppurtunity" to excel.
    Edorian, Robert Timmons, Bryan Johnson, and some of those guys blew their "Oppurtunity".

Hated losing Kendrick Turner after his freshman season.
    Woulda loved to have seen Tyrone Richardson make it to campus.

Thank god we held out for Aaron Ross!!!!! There is a success story and I was one who thought "jeez why do we keep waitin on this guy"!

28. parkerco

parkerco 500+ Posts

29. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

Coulda been another MNC if everyone just gets the hell away from that punt-do not touch it; do not go near it; run away from it. Instead, we get to hear a bunch of Ga. crackers screaming "How bout dem dawwwgs" all evening.

30. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

One I have is my late brother in law who played high school football in Freer and was a top defensive lineman. He went to UT and was with the Duke Carlisle and Scott Appleton class. Unfortunately his injured his knee in practice before his freshmen season but worked and recovered. In spring practice he was doing great and the coaches were pleased with him and he worked his way to the No. 2 slot ahead of some who had played the prior year. Then bad luck again late in spring practice because he injured his knee again and this time it was very seiours and was a career ending injury and the doctors told him to not try to play again. This was a disappointment for him and the rest of the family. He had been dating my sister for several years and they got married in 1962. She got a job in Austin and supported him while he got his degree at UT and after he graduated he went into coaching and supported her in college. While in college he became friends with the coaches and players. He said Olen Underwood didn't get the recognition he deserved and was an unknown hero. Olen later became a judge.
    He was also friends with our great defensive lineman Scott Appleton and there were times when Scott would come to his apartment and they would study together.