Countdown to Joyner's return (back on the official roster) -- Kind of like a countdown to Christmas

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 7
  2. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Can't wait Joyner.
    Hookem'

• Like Like x 2
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

:bounce1::bounce2:

• Like Like x 2
  4. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I'll be SOOOOO glad to see her get back!

• Like Like x 1
  5. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

:yippee:

• Like Like x 1
  6. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Can't wait to see a front court of Holmes, White and Atkins with Higgs and McCarty in the back court.

7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

:mj:

• Like Like x 1
  8. breckenj05

breckenj05 100+ Posts

Can't wait until she is back. It sucks that she had to miss the first part of the season, she looked like she was in great shape this summer and making good progress. Hope she is able to to pick up where she left off on the court and that the transition back into the lineup is smooth.

• Like Like x 4
  9. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Like other Horn fans, I can't wait for Joyner to come back but I would expect her to come off the bench for the first few games. Still not sure that Jatarie will start over Audrey-Ann once Joyner moves into the starting lineup. Both should get plenty of minutes.

10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So many questions to be answered upon Joyner's return.

I will say that if we lose to Tennessee and/or Florida State, and it's because our frontcourt players couldn't hold their own, then that will expedite Joyner's return to the starting lineup (assuming all other issues like conditioning are non-factors).

• Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  11. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Agree that Holmes will come off the bench for some time......perhaps 2-4 games. I can’t see taking Jatarie out of starting lineup unless there is something strange going on like what happened last week with Hosey. She is team’s only low block threat. AA has been playing so well it would be tough to not start her as well. Ultimately their play will mean Jatarie at 5, Holmes at 4 with AA first off bench.....like last year with Lang/Holmes/AA. This year’s 3 player rotation is much stronger than last year’s. Great to have 3 players that all deserve big playing time. Not to mention the other secondary options. Aston finally has a lot of depth up front.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I agree that our frontcourt will be tested against Tenn and Florida State. But I have not seen anything from Tenn to indicate that our posts cannot hold their own unless they get in foul trouble. Skakayla Thomas of FSU is a big concern. We had trouble with her last season. Really, either Ariel or LaShann will have to clamp down on her with help from Jada. Otherwise, Horns have a chance to hand three name programs their first defeat of the season (Georgia, Tennessee and Florida State).

Can't wait to see Joyner on the court! :headbang:

• Like Like x 6
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

14. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  15. Scamp

Scamp 100+ Posts

Strange emoji to choose.

16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

17. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

crying with happiness? or hit the wrong one? happens a lot to me on the phone.

18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

:hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Keeping Joyner's locker warm:

• Like Like x 4
  20. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I am so excited to get to 10 Days. I can now count the days on my toes. I am rethinking the “don’t start her for 2-4 games” after watching the rebounding and loose ball situation Sunday. One game max

• Like Like x 3
  21. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

Well I'm on the band wagon Start her!

"Put her in coach, she's ready to play!"

I know it won't happen but I would start her 1st game back. Knowing Joyner she's hungry, regrets her mistake, time for the rubber to meet the road. 1st game will be her sophomor breakout game, 25 pts, 10 rebounds. #BEASTMODE

• Like Like x 3
  22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I wasn’t going to post this until 1 day left but...

• Like Like x 5
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Within single digit days!

:yippee:

• Like Like x 3
  24. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I will be looking primarily for 2 things in her first game back. First.....her conditioning. Second.....her shot from the elbows/free throw line. Both could be at risk or for improvement. It will take a few games to get back the conditioning of game play.......but we will see quickly if she has had the commitment to stay in shape or improve on it. It was painful to watch as the year went by when teams dared her to shoot the 12 foot shot. They would not let her drive to the right and just say.......we don’t think you can make that shot. This too could be improved upon.......about 500 shots a day from those spots should have done it. There are other things to watch for but minor in my opinion. Can’t wait to see if my concerns have been alleviated. This clock is grinding SOOO slowly.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I will be glad to have her back on the court in a Texas uniform regardless of whether or not she has improved her perimeter shooting. Honestly, while I know she wants to be that stretch-four or small forward player, everyone might just need to accept that her biggest assets are her strength and size and ability to play down low, rebound, defend and score close to the basket.

Surprisingly, Jatarie has been able to step out and hit that short jumper just like Kelsey Lang did the previous seasons (maybe not as far out as Lang). So, while it would be great if Joyner has improved in that area, Jatarie's got that covered a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  26. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

And there's plenty of time this summer for her to work on that outside shot. Right now, like you said, Joyner's strengths are close to the basket.

27. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Good thoughts ......I agree. I am not asking Holmes to be a BTA threat(perimeter). She may want that and may make one ever blue moon. What is essential at some point in her career is to be able to shoot from the free throw line elbows. Aston uses a high-low concept and wants both inside players to be able to play on the blocks AND the elbows. White can do that. It doesn’t help if the other inside player can be dis-respected when at the elbow. She will be real good regardless; however, would be a monster to defend if she could shoot 50% from the elbow. She has good form, just needs repetitions, some success and confidence.

• Like Like x 3
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

We are now within a week, folks!

:headbang:

• Like Like x 2
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, anyone have any idea how this is gonna work?

We keep hearing that 12/23 is the date of her return. Is it realistic to expect her to move to Austin a day before Christmas Eve?

Wondering how the holidays affect our players with the OU game set for Norman, OK on 12/28. Are they required to stay in town and not leave Austin to spend 12/24 and 12/25 with their families?

If they do stay in town, do they practice 2/23 through 12/26 prior to heading to OU on 12/27?

30. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I don't know anything. But what are the general facts about where she has been and what she has been doing this semester?

I assume your question about moving to Austin implies....she's been living back home?