Country Clubs / Golf Clubs Houston

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by txeconomist, May 14, 2008.

1. txeconomist

txeconomist 250+ Posts

Starting to do some research on Houston Country Clubs / Golf Clubs.

Top to bottom what are they? What is the availability, the dues, and the initiation fee per club?

Thanks.

2. Hookem2034

Hookem2034 25+ Posts

The two most prominent country clubs in Houston are River Oaks and Houston CC. Both are very difficult to obtain membership to, cost between 60-100K and unless you are a legacy or a prominent business leader, you are not likely to get in. Even if you are one of the above the wait is 3-5 years.

The high-end golf clubs include: Shadowhawk, & Lochinvar (men only). Both are in the $75k to $100k range.

Dues at all clubs will range from a low of $300 per month to $600 a month depending on the club.

The next tier of golf/country clubs ranges from $20k-$35k is:
    Westwood Golf Club
    Houstonian Golf Club
    Redstone
    Champions (must have 10 handicap or lower)
    Lakeside CC

I am sure there are several others, but that is what comes to mind right now.

3. hornimal

hornimal 500+ Posts

they begin and end with lochinvar.

4. txeconomist

txeconomist 250+ Posts

Re: "20K-35K"

More or less, I think this is what i was looking for...

5. babysdaddy

babysdaddy 100+ Posts

The ROCC is where its at, or Lochinvar

6. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

Where in Houston do you live? If you are out in the burbs on the west side, one to consider is Pine Forest. We live and work within 10 minutes of the course and enjoy it immensely. Losthubby is a fairly serious golfer (about an 8 handicap), and the convenience of the course is what really makes it enjoyable. He can leave work at 5 or so and be walking the course by 5:30 and home by 7 for dinner. And when the time changes, he is out there 4-5 out of 7 days after work.

I know we would not get near the use from a membership if we belonged to a club farther away. If you wanted to see the course and play a round possibly - I am sure I could convince Losthubby to play one weekend! [​IMG]

7. mary21

mary21 100+ Posts

I worked at Lakeside CC and it cost alot of money to join plus you have to spend so much a month to stay a member, but I think this is for all private CC.
    You have to know someone that is already a member to even get a foot in the door, plus you have to be get nominated, and a very upstanding ciitzen before any consideration will be given. (Not that you aren't, just giving you their rules).

The upside, great people work there, beautiful facilities, great food, awesome activities for the whole family.

8. HornGrandioso

HornGrandioso 500+ Posts

Can any of you guys loan me $100,000.00?

9. mary21

mary21 100+ Posts

I can get you a great deal for $50,000. [​IMG]

10. txeconomist

txeconomist 250+ Posts

any info about royal oaks?

11. txlonghorn4x4

txlonghorn4x4 25+ Posts

My Dad is a member at Pine Forest. I've played it quite a few times. Tight course, and windy as heck at times. All in all, a pretty good track. Steak night on Thursdays, and holidays are done up right as far as the clubhouse. I understand there is a referendum to rebuild, or renovate the existing clubhouse. The first Wednesday of each month I believe, is a member/guest mixer, with food and cocktails. Might want to look into that.

12. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog 100+ Posts

if you have the money, royal oaks will let you in. Course is always in good condition but the wall to wall houses that line the course and lack of mature trees takes away from the experience. much more diverse membership than the old school clubs.

13. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog 100+ Posts

and i would double the 300-600 monthly nut expectation. Champions used to have a great junior membership program. not sure if it still exists, but if you are a player, thats where i would go while you wait out the 10-year waiting list at HCC or the ROCC.

14. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

my grandparents have been members out at champions my whole life. it's a solid little club with 36 holes and a great old-school men's locker room.

hornimal - does lochinvar have any sort of junior program? i'm 27 and about to start a job in houston so i'm sure i'll be doing research on all of this before too long.