Cowboys DT Josh Brent Arrested -Intox Manslaughter

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Rex Kramer, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

2. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

3. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Very sad. [​IMG]

4. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

I idiotically made the same mistake media outlets are making with my title. Focus should be on the teammate. Prayers to the Brown family.

5. el squared

el squared 100+ Posts

It's too easy to get out of a DWI in this country. Other places are far more strict and have less deaths per capita than us. We are backwards. Lives can be saved, not a perfect solution but just paying a lot of $crilla to a lawyer is not the answer......

6. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

My prayers go out to Brown's family and friends, as well as Brent's. Just a tragedy all around.

It is sad that people continue to get behind the wheel of a vehicle while intoxicated. I guess it's that same impaired judgement that compels someone to get in the passenger seat of that vehicle.

7. envgeo

envgeo 500+ Posts

Rest in piece. Very sad and second Dwi for Brent and probably 20 years.

8. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

It broke my heart in a good way when I heard that Brown's mother asked Brent to meet her at the airport, ride with her to the memorial and sit next to her during the service. That says love and forgiveness as much as any words ever could.

9. jmtamu

jmtamu 250+ Posts

Is it just me or does it seem especially cruel that Brent is probably going to serve a long prison sentence? It seems as though living through the grief of killing his best friend and having to live with that for the rest of his life is punishment enough.

10. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

There is a reason that DWI is against the law. He has been caught twice now.

11. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

12. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I heard on the radio Brown's mother asked Brent to not only attend the funeral but to sit beside her and ride in the funeral procession to the cemetery with her. I think she's being magnanimous, but if she wants to throw a guilt trip, only God would be in a better position.

13. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

14. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Stat,

It is not a situation where the family's input is the ONLY thing being contemplated. However, it IS a factor. And, arguably, the range available on a deferred makes it an extremely viable option where the family is not seeking a lengthy period of pen time. County jail can be imposed as a condition of the community supervision associated with a deferred and, because the Court has already ruled on the acceptance of a plea of guilty, if/when someone screwed up on supervision, the full range is available. And Dallas County is long noted for slamming people with a longer period of incarceration than they had for the deferred term...