Cowboys Most Valuable Sports Franchise-Break $5 Billion

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by ViperHorn, Jul 23, 2019.

1. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Jones is not my favorite person at all but I have volunteered for several events at ATT Stadium and at the Star.
    I talk with the employees including the Event staff and they all say they like working there and Jerry makes it a point to speak to them when he sees them,
    This surprised me.

3. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

If Jones was half the football man he is as a businessman, the Cowboys would be unbeatable. I can't stand the man, but damn he can run a business.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i think several negative things about Jerry. But not about this. He's always been about all people. He'll work with all people, screw all people, help all people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Agree. About the only job he cannot do is GM in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It's shocking that he hands the keys to that Ferrari to Jason Garrett.

7. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

He doesn't want a coach he wants someone who follows instructions.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

From ESPN.com:

"Kellen Moore is in his first year as an offensive coordinator. Marc Colombo is in his first full season as the offensive line coach. Jon Kitna is in his first year as a quarterbacks coach. That has impacted Jason Garrett's meeting time. "I'm more connected with the offense right now than I've been in recent years and at different times I've been more connected with different parts of our team for different reasons," Garrett said. "We have some young coaches on the offensive side of the ball, so I've been a little bit more engaged in that all throughout the off-season. But hopefully we'll get to the point where we can get it balanced back out again."

Can you believe this? Garrett is teaching them how to coach!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. zuckercanyon

Translation: Jerry told me to say this....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Just the other day Jason was blathering that there was no indication or reason to believe Zeke would hold out. Uh... yeah Jason... how clueless can you be?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I will give him a pass on that one. Most, if not all, coaches in the league would have said the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

When the cowboys reach one trillion in value they still won't have another super bowl win with the Jones family in ownership. They are incapable of letting people do their jobs. I was a fan my entire life then gave up about 10 years ago and stopped following them in any way.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

In 1988-89 I was working for a company that was part of an investment group trying to buy the Cowboys after Bum Bright had run the franchise into the ground.

Actually, no one was really all that interested in the team. The "Dallas Cowboys Football Club, Inc." was hemorrhagging cash, several million a year. Jerry's deal was very aggressive and many people "in the know", thought he had been had.

The asset was Texas Stadium Corporation, the lease holder of the stadium from the City of Irving. Jerry used the Stadium to pay a lot of bills. From the Nike deal to selling Pepsi Cola. Then he made the rest of the owners richer by stirring the pot on the TV deal.

Hate him all you want. But he is a heck of a business man and people that deal with him speak very highly of him.

:texasflag:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. zuckercanyon

Interesting side note: Jeff Ward was making fun of Donald Trump for crapping on buying the Cowboys back then, as an indicator that Trump sucks at business. So you're comment is interesting to me!

15. Vol Horn 4 Life

I could not care an ounce less about what a great business man he is, because he absolutely sucks at football. I think the same thing when people brag about the value of the Texas brand when I would have to pay nearly $4,000 PER SEAT to get sideline season tickets. They both got rich from fans. Why do fans care about the value or worth of organizations when the organizations dont care about anything but taking our money?

I just want to watch my team win without having to mortgage my house to do it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Vol Horn 4 Life is absolutely right - Jerry is a brilliant businessman, but he is a horrible football GM. He slaughtered the goose that was laying the golden eggs when he fired Jimmy Johnson - and it's been downhill since then.
    My cat could do a better job than Jerry as a football GM - and my cat is a baseball fan. :smile1:

17. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

For F sake, he hired that POS Switzer, for Gawd's sake. That was it for me.

Now, I'm sure all the Switzer apologists will come around talking about what a folksy and great guy Switzer is in spite of being King Sooner. He had a tough upbringing blah blah blah.

F both of them, that's what I say.

18. SunBurntOrange

SunBurntOrange 500+ Posts

I have been a Cowboys season ticket holder for over 30 years. As in when Tom Landry was still coach. From day one, and the picture of him and Jimmy Johnson sitting at Mia's Mexican on the front page of the Dallas Morning News, I have never cared for Jerry Jones. He just had that snake oil salesman persona about him. I was however thrilled at the prospect of Jimmy Johnson coaching the Cowboys. Hated to see Landry go, and especially hated the way it went down, but it was time. Since then I have cussed Jerry's name to the high heavens. I have been published in the Dallas Morning News, more than once mind you, calling out his lack of abilities and idiot decisions. But my opinion of Jerry Jones softened some when I watched his Hall Of Fame induction speech. The only credit he took for his successes in life were for his own non-football related personal achievements. He gave credit for everything else to everybody except himself. Including the Cowboys success. He looked Jimmy in the eye and basically admitted that he was the one who screwed it all up. Admitted that his wife unloaded on him for letting Jimmy go. Switzer was in the audience and I don't recall Jerry even acknowledging his existence. Poor Barry and his butthurt expression was priceless btw.

All that said, I never gave up on the Cowboys. From the beginning, I was easily able to separate my love of the Cowboys from my lack of said for Jones. And I agree....brilliant business man, horrible football man. But I will take him over Bud Adams. Over Dan Snyder, Over Al Davis. Over a lot of others. He is absolutely driven to win even if he is clueless how to do it.....bless his heart :rolleyes1:

19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The two faces of Jones is what makes him what he is. He basically screwed the Arklatex Gas customers to generate cash that eventually became the Cowboys. After acquiring the Cowboys he made one great football decision - hiring Jimmy, and it has gone downhill from there. Jones likes to take credit for the Walker trade, but the return from Minnesota was totally Johnson's deal. Politically spun he is a great promoter (re: a snake oil salesman of the highest order), but that is how you accumulate the risk-free funds to do everything else.

20. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

^^^THIS

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

He has very good business advisers. He's also willing to take some risk, and if your a partner with him in a deal, you'll do well. As far as football, he's a pompous twit that needs to keep his fingers out of the pie and let the professionals run the place, so he can claim all the credit when all goes well.

22. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I don't every rate anyone on their career. I go to how they impact the lives of others.

I lived in Dallas from 1982 - 1994. I listened to Norm Hitzges, the morning talk show king for years, every morning on the way to work. My recollection is this: the Dallas football fans were ready for Tom to go. "The game has passed him by." Everyone has figured out the flex defense." "He's stubborn and rigid." There is no doubt in my mind that the city was ready for a change. Like SunBurntOrange, I saw the picture of Johnson and Jones at Mia's in the paper. It was a huge shock to everyone that this was going to happen. And regardless of what you think about Jerry, it was almost the best thing that could have happened to Landry because he went from the stubborn old man who needed to retire (shades of Mack?) to "OUR TOM" overnight. Jones put Landry back on the pedestal where he belonged by firing him.

That's my opinion anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

The problem is that he seems to consider being the most valuable sports franchise (and being the guy who gets to say he runs it) to be higher on his priority list than winning championships.

Step 1 is admitting there's a problem. But he never moved on to step 2 - changing his ways.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

There is a quote out there where he say's he could never feel bad about the performance when he see's that stadium. That's his passion. The glory of the money and the circus. His genius is decoupling performance on the field with the show itself.

"Look at the stadium! A wonder of the world!"
    "Look, it's a professional football game!"
    "Look at the cheerleaders!"
    "Look at me! A modern day P.T. Barnum."

Winning is not his priority because if it was he would spend the same amount of money relatively speaking on a GM and a Head Coach that he did on the stadium. But this is about the Jones Family. It's the Jones Cowboys.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  25. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Good point, bystander. I do not dispute the thought that it was time for Tom to go, but I really disliked the way Jerry fired him. It would have cost Jerry virtually nothing to move Tom into a front office position as "Special Assistant to the Owner" or some other title - in other words, move him out of coaching gracefully.

And I can't forget that Jerry killed the goose that was laying the golden eggs when he fired Jimmy - all because of Jerry's ego and unwillingness to share the spotlight. And then he had the nerve to bring in Switzer - that's the day I threw away my Cowboy caps and t-shirts.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  26. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

and it has been mostly downhill from there. Barry's SB win was with Jimmy's guys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

with all due respect, the thread is about the value of the business in the "in the stands" forum, not "on the field" forum. so saying you could not care less about business is commenting on a topic that you don't care about. lol

28. Vol Horn 4 Life

You have a twisted mind to change what I said to this. Me not caring about JJ's net worth does not mean I shouldn't comment on this thread about me hating him as an owner. Your mind of thought would mean about half the posts on this board shouldn't exist.

And yes, the thread is about the Cowboys and JJ is the Cowboy organization. Just ask him.

• Like Like x 2
  29. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

lol ok man

30. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

You Nailed it!!!