Cowboys v. Packers

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Vol Horn 4 Life, Jan 8, 2017.

1. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

As a Packers fan, I've not been impressed w/ Dom capers as a DC for the last few years. And this year with significant injury to the secondary, Dalls could torch us on Sunday

2. uisge beatha

Maybe I missed it but I had the feeling most people expected the Seahawks to roll GB

3. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Seattle was expected to roll. The Hawks were coming off a 40-7 Sunday night demolition of the Panthers. GB was the midst of the worst stretch of defense (most points allowed over 4 games) in their history. Russel Wilson proceeded to have his worst game as a pro, the OL their worst game of the year and the defense played lousy in their first game without Earl Thomas. Overall, GB throttled Seattle in every phase of the game @ Green Bay.

4. Seattle Husker

That's as good as analysis as any. We'll see if the Pack's playoff experience is a factor. I just know that Aaron Rodgers is on fire right now. If GB is within spitting distance heading into the 4th, I'd take the Pack.

5. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

The Cowboys do seem like a rolling ball of butcher knives (on offense). It doesn't really take one of their stars to be superman on a given play. Just having so many options spread across the width of the field means that the defense can't condense onto one or two. For example, Dez Bryant may just have to catch passes one on one, when he's open and the ball is on him. Same with Witten or Beasley. Dak doesn't have to be Vince Young on a keeper; but if no one spies on him, he can darn sure run downfield against air. But Elliott coming downhill behind that line is begging for LB and S help; not just for decent gains or first downs, but a home run risk on every play that really can't be ignored.

In other words, the Cowboys just have to execute fairly under control, without needing crazy acrobatic catches, busted coverages, improvised broken-play scrambles, broken tackles, etc., to get points.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I sticking with the Packers this weekend. They're fairly banged up, but if Rogers gets going on a roll in the 2nd half, Green Bay can leave town with the W.

7. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

like that!

8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The Packers will follow the Giants model of playing Dallas - pack the box and make Dak beat you with his arm.

9. Seattle Husker

That's a given. Which Dak shows up in that scenario? GB needs a BIG game out of some very old/banged up DL to compete. Peppers/Matthews need to play like they are in their prime.

10. uisge beatha

Mathews IS in his prime (30 yo) but has been slowed this year by injuries. And while the DL may be banged up, they are not old, Peppers is the only player on D over 30.
    Packers Roster

11. Seattle Husker

Peppers was the "old" and Matthews was the "banged up" part of that equation.

12. uisge beatha

OK, my confusion was you referenced the DL - neither of those are linemen

13. Seattle Husker

Sorry, I see them as DE as that is where they are most effective. I'd neglected to acknowledge that they moved to LB in a 3-4.

14. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Cowboys will control the clock, run Zeke through the Packer defense, and throw safe passes. Dallas defense will play "bend-but-don't break" to hold the Packers down on the scoreboard. GB can keep it interesting until the 4th quarter, but the Dallas OL will wear them down. Dallas pulls away late - Cowboys 31, Packers 21.

• Like Like x 5
  15. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

No Jordy Nelson, a Cowboy O-line that will dominate, a pass rush that will give Rodgers fits. 'Boys win. The Double E Express approaches 200 yds.

16. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Time for speculation is over.

'Boys gettin' their a$$es kicked so far. 14-3!

17. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

2 stupid penalties doom Dallas. Both 12 men on the field. One stops a drive and one extends the 1st drive. Amazing how at week 17 a couple of dumb penalties can lead directly to 14 pts. Football is a weird game. But with that last stop by the Pac, game, set, and close to match.

18. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Extend another drive with a defensive penalty. Can they be any more stupid?

19. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Man this is confusing. There was another game thread that seems to have disappeared.

20. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Dak throws a stupid pick! Ballgame!

21. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

22. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Not so fast!

23. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

Not ball game yet. And that was a stupid play call more than a bad throw.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Walking Boss

Going to be tough to stop Rodgers. Dallas D needs to make a couple plays and get a stop.

25. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I gotta give 'em credit for fighting back. I thought they were dead!

26. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

That was holding and not PI. If the ref thought it was PI, it should be waved off for an uncatchable pass.

• Like Like x 1
  27. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately Dallas has played the Charlie Srong/Vance Bedford defense - total let down on third downs.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

When they motioned Ezekiel out to the slot to go 5 wide, I expected another qb draw. It would have worked, too, there was nobody on the DL in the middle.

29. Walking Boss

3rd and 3 with a timeout. I think I might have run Elliot there.

30. Walking Boss

Terrible defense to give Rodgers that much time. Should have kept bringing pressure. Cowboys coaches deserve to lose with that stupid defensive call.