Cowboys v. Packers

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Vol Horn 4 Life, Jan 8, 2017.

1. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

This is all true, but are they really superior in talent to GreenBay? I really don't think so.

2. BallsofSteerToo

BallsofSteerToo 100+ Posts

Maybe. On the other hand, he does have three more Super Bowl Trophies than you do.

3. BallsofSteerToo

Dallas got away with (at least) two blatant holds in the first half where they didn't just momentarily tugged, they grabbed on and held on for a while. And yeah Witten got practically tackled at the goal line. Dallas definitely committed holding (probably holding not PI but the net result was almost identical) on that last interception, which was incredibly dumb in hindsight as Heath probably gets that pick anyway (since Rogers overthrew it b/c of the pressure and just turned and chucked it to nowhere). Right call, but odd that they'd been letting it go for both teams all game long. The refs certainly didn't lose Dallas the game.

I've never heard my wife use the F word like she did in the second half, screaming at the refs for not calling the Packer's linemen for blatant holding on almost every pass play. Kind of answers why Rogers seemed to have 20 minutes to throw. Maybe Dallas was doing it as well

4. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Lots of non-calls on both sides. Don't know if it was the refs not seeing them or they decided to let them play ball and ignored the calls.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

The Cowboys have a lot of good solid talent on the field. Part of the problem Sunday were the calls from the sideline. Had hey played the whole game like the 2nd half, they would most likely be in the NFC championship game next week, and at home

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Cowboys have to find 2 quality DB's somewhere (draft/FA). Coaches had a very poor game starting with Scandrick who was grabbing on every pass play. Obviously he needed more time to come back from his injury.

7. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Ezekiel Elliott got 23 touches on 64 Dallas plays. For comparison, Le'Veon Bell got 32 touches on 66 Pittsburgh plays. Dallas didn't use one of their best weapons often enough.

Might save them from paying more than that indirectly though tax relief in attempts to keep the team from moving later though, no?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  8. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

Actually, every shareholder gets a vote in the annual shareholders meeting so we do have a small voice in the direction of the team

• Like Like x 1
  9. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, there's a lot of issues that go to the owners for a vote. So the Packers won't be moving from GB any time soon.

10. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/nfl/cowb...ler-unsportsmanlike-conduct-penalty/388418547

Looking at this play it's so subjective. Someone earlier said to just follow the rules. This rule is subjective and we have to depend on the refs to figure it out. If you look at what happened, how is that giving the offense an advantage. They never even huddled up. With Dak on the outside it was 9 and 10 players back and forth.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

The call makes no sense in at least three different ways.

First of all, Butler did not do this, and thus should not be required to participate in a play

However, there is also:

Which was NOT the rule cited, but makes 5-2-5-b 100% needless, since any player would have to first break this rule to be able to break that one.

So Butler did break this rule, although not the first one. For some reason even the NFL guys trying to defend the call aren't citing this, making their "but the rules say it, right there" shtick a bit hard to take credibly.

That "intent" statement makes no sense at all, as is it is at odds with the actual text of the rule. My conclusion is this whole section of the rules is sloppily written and needs cleaning up and clarifying plus a little jolt of simple logic. Not the only section of the rules this is true about either.

If the point of the intent statement was to say "refs shouldn't enforce it unless they think the offense was trying to be confusing", then the refs in the Dallas game shouldn't have called that penalty. It hasn't been called in around 30 years, and there's no way it hasn't been broken many times since then by the standard they used this last weekend.

In addition, using that overly-expansive definition of "huddle" for this one play and one rule only, Dallas had 12 men in the huddle for a brief moment, so the whistle should have been immediately blown and 5 yards marked off before the play ever started.

12. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

look what happens when the GB qb doesn't make EVERY throw, the receivers don't make EVERY catch, and the kicker doesn't make EVERY field goal.

13. uisge beatha

Much bitterness?

14. BallsofSteerToo

Much butthurt after visiting Atlanta?

15. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

lol well, a little. when gb plays normal, they get killed.

16. uisge beatha

Not really. We went to Atlanta, got our butts kicked. Now I move on. Not going to really care what the results of NE/ATL to comment on how we played against ATL. AFAIC, NFL season is over now. My team is out, Don't really care who wins the SB

17. uisge beatha

What is normal for GB? rodgers hadn't played up to his normal performance in games 1 - 10 when they went 4 - 6. On the "win out", he performed over his historical norms I think

• Like Like x 1
  18. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

So Rodgers is awesome. And the injuries had to have been tough.

I think everyone (save Rodgers, who is unquestionable) played above their heads in the Cowboys game.

That's all I mean.

• Like Like x 1
  19. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

Happy Atlanta beat GB. Now wondering if we would have beaten Atlanta the way they've been playing. Our D would have probably struggled even more so with Atlanta. Except for ATL red-zone defense, overall is better than GB. Would have been a tough game.

20. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

The Falcons and Pats are playing great ball this year, and especially during the playoffs. I hope the SB is a good one and not lopsided either way.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Atlanta's offense is crazy good. My money is on Bellichick and the Pats. Defense wins championships.