Crazy Offseason Poll: Wear Stormtroopers all the time.

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Horns11, Jul 9, 2016.

?

Uniform options... should we:

Poll closed Sep 4, 2016.
  1. Stick with what we've always done (orange at home and whites on the road)

20 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. Switch to all-whites, all the time

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  3. Change the uniforms altogether

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I know, I know. Don't mess with the sacred.

Since there seems to be a conspiracy that any change to the Texas uniform will result in a Maryland-style fiasco, I hereby recommend that we switch to the all-whites, all the time. There's enough Texas orange in the lettering and numbers so that opponents know who they're messing with. And in the stands from the fans. And, I mean, look at the helmet.

We can bust out the orange ones for every other Texas/OU weekend, and bowl games in which the opponent has first choice and chooses their whites.

I'm having a hard time figuring out why we shouldn't do this. Everyone has always complained that the orange was either too dark or too light or too orange for home games, particularly when we got sweat stains or wet. The whites have always looked sharp. Even with grass stains on them. LSU recognized this a long time ago. We deserve better. We deserve the stormtroopers. Year round. Poll closes on ND game day.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

I’m an all-white guy UNIFORM guy. But, I don’t like the name “stormtroopers.” Stormtroopers were part of the evil Galactic Empire and we were around before them. (Although, technically, they existed a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.)

And I don’t like “whitey-tighties.” I much prefer “white-lightnings.”

The all-whites are the classiest uniforms on the planet regardless of sport. And the helmets are without peer.
    Great idea, @Horns11!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I respectfully, yet vehemently disagree with the name dissing.

The Stormtroopers are the finest unis in college football with the coolest, most unique, battle appropriate name possible.

Watching us exit the opposing team's tunnel in force appears nothing short of an army of Stormtroopers marching out to deliver an interstellar *** kicking. :smile1:

:ut: Neither would carry the same 'badassedness' without the other. :ut:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  4. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

Don't Mess with Texas!

5. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I dunno... I vacillated some on this one but I am leaning to the all-white unis except some TX-ou games and a bowl game here-and-there.

6. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

As a history major, when I hear "storm troopers" I tend to think of the Nazi's goose-stepping.

With regards to the all-whites, there was a time from the mid 1980's to mid 1990's that I really didn't like them. Basically because we weren't very good and road games were tough for us to win, even when we had the better team (between 1972 and 1990 we won one game in Waco), anyone really think we only had the better team once in 18 years)?

About 2003 or so I made the comment to the folks that have been sitting in front of us since Reagan's first term, that I was really starting to like the all whites. The Mrs. turned around and said something to the effect of Mack winning 23 of 26 (*/-) road games in the whites might have something to do with my change of heart. Oh, yea, that.

It is great to be in Stillwater (OK you know what I mean) and those white lightening uniforms storm the field for pre-game and kick off and then gathering down in the corner where our fans are that is special. I went to all of our games in Lincoln and other than OU our team stayed on the field celebrating with out fans longer than anywhere else. Of course that was back when beating Nebraska in Lincoln actually meant something. Now they are just Northwestern's .......female dog.

But at the end of the day I am a traditionalist and I like the current arrangement. But I am not an 18 year old recruit either. There are many schools that will occasionally wear tops/bottoms that are their main color (first time I saw it in person was over in Hooterville in 1983, the Rick McIvor game). My late brother played for Arkansas in the late 60's early 70's. They came into Austin in 1978 ranked #2, wearing white tops and red pants for the first time. We came back and won a war of a game 28-21. My brother went to his grave blaming it on "those g******n red pants".

Just some Monday morning musings. Hope everyone has a safe and peaceful week. Hook Em.

:ousucks:

• Like Like x 4
  7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The marketing people will tell you wearing one color all the time builds a better brand. However one benefit of wearing white at home would give the home crowd a live taste of other teams "home" uniforms, and since most would use a Texas game at DKR to roll out their most outlandish uniforms, everyone would be reminded how good the Texas uniforms look.

• Like Like x 2
  8. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

I don't care as long as we win.

9. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Don't shoot me but matte black and burnt orange looks kinda tight. :smile1:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I dunno about dem helmets Brad....

• Like Like x 3
  11. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

• Like Like x 7
  12. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Those are some really big hands Brad!!!!!!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Just to clarify, that's not me holding a helmet I made. :smile1:

But I will own the lame approval of the color match. I was thinking more along the lines of the color combo of matte black and burnt orange on the uni not helmet. You know if we ever lost our way and went all Texas Tech on the alt tip.

Yes, I accept my punishment and will now go to the corner of the room. :smile1:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Speaking of which, 7 straight wins by the road team in that series now.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Spur 90

Spur 90 25+ Posts

I'm cool with it, especially when road teams are wearing darker colors in the Sept heat. Imagine CO or MO wearing black jerseys. They'd melt.

• Like Like x 1