Crazy photo I took in North Dakota last week

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Hornius Emeritus, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Hornius Emeritus

Hornius Emeritus 2,500+ Posts

So I was in North Dakota last week and I drove over the Missouri River. Because of flooding, it is currently several miles wide instead of several hundred yards wide. I saw a stop sign that was almost submerged and it looked kind of funny so, needing to stretch my legs anyway, I stopped to photograph it. Then I saw this pelican. I thought "heck, I'll take a picture of the pelican while I am here, too."

During the exact split second that I took the photo, a carp jumped in front of the pelican. Looks like the pelican was pretty surprised, too. I couldn't do this again if I wanted to.

[​IMG]

2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Outstanding shot—the carp was just waiting for you to focus & fire. Some of my best photos have been happy accidents. If we keep shooting long enough we’re bound to get something really interesting once in a while, right?

What’s your rig? Earlier this year I replaced my old Nikon D70s with a D7000 and I just love that camera. I keep the Nikkor 18-200 on it most of the time, it's such a great versatile lens. A little heavy but I don’t care. I’ve been shooting quite a bit of video with it as well with great results. Photo technology is just kicking *** these days, there’s so much cool stuff.

Have you seen 500px.com? There’s some incredibly good work on there. Makes me want to just go shoot all day.

3. Hornius Emeritus

Dionysus .. I am still using my ancient Canon 5d. I took this with a Sigma 105mm lens, which is really just razor sharp. Too sharp, sometimes, when I'm taking portraits ---- especially of women. [​IMG]

4. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

That really is great. It should be part of an archive of flood photos that people might look at decades from now. You ought to submit it to a North Dakota newspaper or governmental body.

5. Dogbert

Dogbert 500+ Posts

Great photo.

6. biganakhanhda

biganakhanhda 500+ Posts

7. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

8. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Some people have a gift or talent for being in the right place at the right time for great photos. Sir, looking at what your gallery, you have a talent most don't. Nice job!

9. Hornius Emeritus

Thank you very much, Vol Horn, but I'm really just a guy with a camera. I just go out and look around.

10. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

f16 and be there is still the best advice any photographer can give to anybody.

11. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

Very cool

12. CottonEyedHorn

CottonEyedHorn 1,000+ Posts

not seein' the pic....

13. Harri McDog Horn

Harri McDog Horn 25+ Posts

14. Hornius Emeritus

Sorry, guys ... I took it down.