Critical!!

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by kbrown, Dec 2, 2019.

1. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Re players not liking TH: did the players at Ohio State like Woody Hayes? How much love for Lombardi? Other than loving to win with them?

Too many of you had wildly unrealistic hopes after last year

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

The point I was making is that O/LSU made the correct choices; he/they Chose the right men. I think the "right men, great coaches," are out there and with the right pitch, the right salary, will come to coach for this great program, great school, in the great city of Austin. Its up to TH/Texas to recognize who these men are and who will help this program to the promised land. Ogeron/LSU did it, and TH/Texas can too.

But the proof will be, as it always is, in the eating of the pudding.

TH is not perfect, UT's current situation is not perfect. But the opportunities and the positives that come with these jobs far outweigh the negatives.

3. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

This may be true but were you expecting 7-5, one of the statistically worst defensive performances in the program’s history, and virtually no offense in four of the last seven games?

Yes, I’ll admit it. I was expecting more. So was Herman, CDC and most of Longhorn Nation. Should we have expected less?

• Like Like x 2
  5. BornOrange0855

BornOrange0855 250+ Posts

I can't remember where I read this. 247 maybe. Or maybe an email from a friend who subscribes to some site. More than one story, although for all I know it was from the same source.

6. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Ask Farrell: Will Tom Herman turn things around at Texas?

From the article:

“Herman is the right guy for recruiting. He’s a huge step up from the mistake that was Charlie Strong. However, I no longer believe he’s going to be a successful coach at Texas no matter what changes he makes. I’ve lost faith.

"This was a guy who was amazing at Ohio State and was very impressive at Houston. Where did that guy go? Listen, the Texas job shouldn’t be this hard — it just shouldn’t. Strong was a bad hire because he wasn’t a fit. Herman has just plain failed despite being a great fit. And I can’t figure it out. But he’s gone next season barring a Big 12 title.”

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

I have to disagree with this.... I don't think a title is necessary for Herman to keep his job for 2021. Either getting to the CCG or finishing 9-3 will get him another year. Improvement is all CDC is looking for. With that said..... I think Herman is gone after 2020. We won't reach 9-3 .

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I still don't think Orlando is a bad DC, but he does have issues he needs to fix. It would appear that the success of his defense is predicated on the talent level he has since once we went down in talent so did the ability of the defense to do anything. Second, I think he is not able to adjust the defense to fit the talent he has been given.

I bet if Bama hired him, he would instantly turn into an elite DC given their talent and Saban's system.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I disagree, I think the changes he has made will buy him 2 years, if we don't see huge dividends by 2021, he will be gone. Of Course, if we lose 5 games again next year, all bets are off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I remember this, too. There was all kinds of talk on here about Orlando and the fear of losing him the last two Springs.
    My how the turntables have turned .

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

They were successful at Houston.

12. BurntOrangeLH

Memories are very short.

13. BurntOrangeLH

To Saban, assistant coaches are a commodity.

14. BurntOrangeLH

Beck is a good refuiter, has real inroads in AZ, and is a good QB coach.

However he is not been calling offensive plays since 2017. Herman had to know that since he's calling the plays for the last 2 years.