Crock pot recipes

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by dalhorn1, Oct 24, 2012.

1. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

I don't fancy myself a chef, barely even a "cook". But, with daylight savings time coming to an end and fall looking at least possible, I'm turning to the crock pot to help cook our dinners for a bit.

Between working some later hours, a clingy 4-month old at home and a wife that doesn't know the stirring end of a spoon, I'm running out of time and ideas for stovetop/oven/grilled meals.

Any help?

2. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

So easy - depending on the size of your Crockpot, 1-2 lbs of meat chunks. One green pepper, one onion and 3 or 4 potatoes (depending on size) cut into chunks. Add one can of soup (I use cream of celery) and 1/2 can of water. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low all day and you've got a great stew. You can use any soup - I think the original recipe calls for Cream of mushroom.

3. SunBurntOrange

SunBurntOrange 500+ Posts

4. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

sounds easy enough, austinbat. I'll give it a try this weekend.

Keep 'em coming, unless it's a crock pot ribs recipe--that's blasphemy.

5. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

Let me know what you thought!

6. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I don’t have recipes but wanted to applaud your use of the crock pot. My wife sometimes puts a chicken in there with some garlic, onions, spices and whatnot and lets it cook all day. Come dinnertime, that chicken is so tender and delicious. Just throw some rice on the plate with it, maybe a veggie or a salad. Magnificent!

7. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

I love these green beans.

4 or 5 strips of bacon
    1 medium onion diced
    2 packages of frozen green beans
    2 cans of tomatoes with juice
    1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper

Brown the bacon until crisp. Keep the bacon drippings. Brown onion in 2 TBS of the bacon drippings. Combine green beans, bacon, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Stir in remainder of bacon drippings. Cook on Low for 8 hours.

8. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
    4 boneless/skinless chicken thighs
    1 jar salsa
    1 packet taco seasoning

Set on low and cook 6-8 hours, shred, use for tacos, burritos, or enchiladas.

9. Son of a Son

1 Lb browned ground turkey
    4-6 celery stalks diced
    1 onion diced
    1 1/2 cups diced carrots
    2 cups chopped red cabbage
    Enough chicken broth to cover

Cook on low and you have an amazing soup.

10. Son of a Son

1/2 packages "Pork for carnitas" from HEB depending on your crockpot size
    1 Jar or bottle of a bbq sauce of your choice, prefferably not too thick or sweet.

Cook on low 6-8 hours and shred. Serve over rice. Use leftovers for quesadillas or sandwiches.

11. Son of a Son

1 Chuck Roast
    Cover with sliced carrots and potatoes
    Add 3/4 tablespoons of worcestisire sauce
    Add enough liquid to cover the bottom (broth, water, whatever).

Low heat

12. SunBurntOrange

SunBurntOrange 500+ Posts

3 packages Johnsonville Italian Sausage, cut into 1" peices.
    1 jar premium red pasta sauce.

Simple as can be. Great toothpick party food. Think swedish meatballs. Since Johnsonville is pretty lean, I put it in raw and let the sauce cook it. You can brown it if you prefer.

13. salonghorn-70

A similar recipe to SunBurntOrange's:

Cut up cooked sausage. Mix in lots of your favorite BBQ sauce. Cook on low for two hours.

14. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

AustinBat's recipe on tap for Wednesday
    Sonofason's shredded chicken recipe on tap for Thurs
    SaLonghorn/SunBurntOrange recipe for kickoff Sat

Tons of bananas ready to help flush out all of the sodium that it takes to make good crock pot recipes.

Keep 'em coming, please

15. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

16. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I'll try it, George! It's heading into Crock Pot season for sure.

17. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

My apologies, Costanza. Last night, I "evolved", (not flip-flopped) and decided that I'd like your father's rib recipe, if you're in a forgiving mood. Otherwise, you're on top of my list of grievances this year.

18. salonghorn-70

Please post the ribs recipe. [​IMG]

19. Son of a Son

So tell us. What do you think of the recipes so far?

20. georgecostanza

Sorry, guys. Rusty's Grill isn't on my usual rotation of forums to browse since there usually isn't much going on over here. I'll try to remember to get it from the old man tonight. If it isn't up in a couple days, don't hesitate to send me a PM to remind me.

21. georgecostanza

Sorry for the wait. I still haven't gotten the actual recipe. I thought I'd give you a general gist of what it is though:

Basically, you're just slow cooking the ribs in a pot of sauce for 8 hours. We use St. Louis ribs (that's what is normally on sale). The recipe my dad uses has directions to make a simple sauce using apple cider vinegar, ketchup, and brown sugar IIRC. You can use whatever your favorite sauce is though.

All you really need to do is slice up the rack into individual ribs, and put a fair amount of sauce in the pot. You don't need to completely cover the ribs in sauce. Just enough for them to cook in. The juice from the ribs will start seeping out eventually, and you will have plenty of liquid.

Just cook the ribs on low for 8 hours, and they're done. It's really simple. The only real problem with them is that it makes the entire house smell like ribs after they've been going for a couple hours.

I'll try and work on getting the exact recipe for you guys. Just thought I'd post this to try and stop the teasing.

22. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

Pulled Pork for Sammiches

3 lbs pork shoulder or pork roast or pork tenderloin (if you don't want a lot of fat)
    1-2 cans of Dr Pepper
    1 bottle of BBQ sauce
    Dry rub (we used Rendevouz seasoning)

Rub pork with seasoning, let sit about 30 min or wrapped in plastic wrap overnight. Put in crock pot, pour in Dr Pepper. Cook on low for 8 hrs. Shred pork, pulling out bone and fat if needed. Add 1 bottle (8-12 oz) of BBQ sauce. Mix well and heat for about 30 more minutes.

We have experimented with several combos of liquid and sauce. Shiner Smokehouse and Sweet Baby Rays was good. Dr Pepper and Stubbs spicy was also a good combo. Root Beer and Sweet Baby Rays was too sweet. We have also left the rub off a couple of times, like it both ways.

Another one for chicken, similar

3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken meat
    1 bottle buffalo wing sauce (your chosen heat level)
    1 pkg Ranch dressing mix
    1-2 TBSP butter.

Cook chicken in wing sauce and ranch mix for 6-8 hours on low. Shred, then add 1-2 TBSP butter and mix well, heat through.

Both of these are awesome served with slaw on the sammich. I make a broccoli slaw with Marzettis slaw dressing. Mmmm!

23. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

Thanks for the rib recipe, costanza. I'm going to eat my words, and try it out.

And, lostman, i think both of your recipes sound like perfect bowl season meals. Only thing missing is a bottle of Tums.

24. salonghorn-70

Costanza, I have seen some recipes that are similar. Some of those call for putting the ribs under the broiler after cooking in order to add a little crunch. I assume that you don't do that?

25. georgecostanza

Nope. That's not a bad idea though. I don't think I'd ever do it like that though because they smell and look so damn good after being in the crock pot. I don't think we'd ever get them onto the tray and into the oven.

By the way, I'm still trying to get the actual recipe my dad uses.

26. salonghorn-70

Tried George's recipe. Got some country style spare ribs from HEB. Put them in the crock pot and covered them pretty well with Sweet Baby Ray's sauce. Cooked them about 8 hours on low.They turned out great. Almost falling apart. Very tasty.
    Yum, yum.

27. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

Similar to some above:

I use a large crock pot for the following:

cut several carrots into large pieces and place in pot to cover 1/2 to 3/4 of bottom,
    then some rough cut onion next,
    then some chopped celery,
    add a small can o mushroom pieces,
    then 1 or 2 pounds pork loin or pork rib cut into chunks.

add a can of cream of mushroom soup over the top.
    salt, pepper and garlic powder as desired. I like a lot of pepper and garlic and very little salt.

I start on high for an hour then cook on low for 3 or 4 hours.

you may want to add some water depending on how much "sauce" you want.

I serve the mix over rice.

mmmmmm, good!