Curious to know...

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Chinstrap, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Now that most of the bowl games are over, who would the brilliant minds of Hornfans consider better teams than the #4 Committee’s selection? Consider even those non-conference winners who could beat #4 head to head. Perhaps teams that would get in with “wild card selections” in an expanded playoff.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  2. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I'll take a stab... kind of.
    I wasnt a guy moaning about OU being in, but I think based on their performance the previous 3 tries, it would have been tempting to put someone else in. At the time, like it or not...I think they had to get the nod.
    The problem is no power 5 Conference winner, CCG winner, and 1 loss team will be passed over and there was no hindsight post bowl-games.

Now today? That would be a real fun debate...
    When looking at pre-bowl rankings, post-bowl performances, and setting aside the above ^^^^^^ parameters which OU was the only other team to meet....
    Looks to me like
    Oregon
    Bama
    Penn State
    Florida
    Wiscy
    Georgia
    Minnesota

If Wiscy had of held on against Oregon I would give them the nod, easy.
    The Big10 has looked good in bowl games.
    Wiscy beat Minnesota who beat Auburn and also defeated Penn State who is up there in the mix for this discussion. They also looked real good against Ohio State until the end.
    Bama still looks good but Auburn beat them. Oregon could get the nod now but that ASU loss looms large.
    Notre Dame had a couple weeks they just looked average...tough.
    Florida has been consistent throughout but wasnt overly impressive yesterday. I've never bought into them for some reason.
    Georgia came in #5 with two losses and wins against a handful of good teams. Looked pretty good yesterday.
    Penn State is trumped by Minnesota who had an impressive win yesterday.
    Minnesota is trumped by Wiscy.
    Its definitely between Wiscy, UGA and Oregon for me.
    Rankings had Georgia 5, Oregon 6, and wiscy 8.
    You give it to Oregon based on being a power5 C winner
    Give it to Georgia based on highest ranking going in and overall resume
    Give it to wiscy based on gut/eye test and overall ranking
    Oregon won its ccg over an overrated Utah
    Georgia got beat handily in it's ccg by a very good LSU
    Wiscy barely lost to the #2 team in the country in its CCG
    Impossible call to make... except for 1 thing.
    These are 3 very even teams I'd love to see play each other and, frankly...throw in Penn state, Minnesota, Bama, Florida, Auburn and Notre dame, too. (Or take out Florida, Auburn and ND if you want..fine)
    In conclusion ....lol....
    I'd would have said Wiscy but Oregon messed that up yesterday. They beat Wiscy! Have no good reason for tossing out UGA (though they just played LSU and lost 37-10, so there's one)...but today I'd say Oregon gets the nod after yesterday's news.
    Fact is, with one exception....the #4 team, for whatever reason, has just seemed to be a good notch down from the others since the inception of the Cfp playoff.
    Seemed like this year it was destined to be the same no matter who got thrown in there against LSU.
    If someone was getting whipped this year it should have been Oregon..and pretty sure they would have given LSU a better game than OU did.

There...now it's all settled smh

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  3. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Good anaysis. I think Penn State, Bama, Oregon and maybe Whiskey. At any rate it becomes evident that an expanded playoff with defined criteria for wild card teams makes sense.

Don’t you think?

4. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Oregon, Texas and North Dakota state hahaha

5. RainH2burntO

Based on recent results... it almost seems like they should lock the top 3 and have a 2/4 team play in for the 4 spot. I'm not saying that should be done...just pointing out how hard it has been to find a worthy #4, and think we've missed the right team fairly often. I know alot of people are against a playoff, but...
    I'd like to see the top 5 power5 conference winners and 1 at large from a midmajor/non-p5 plus 2 more at large and it be played over 3 weeks...similar to pro -minus the big delay before the big game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BillyDeeHorn

BillyDeeHorn < 25 Posts

I wanted Utah in before they lost to Oregon and then thought Oregon would have been a better pick than OU. But neither happened. Personally I think the best 2 teams already played. Clemson and Ohio State.

7. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

How in heavens name do you think Clemson or Ohio State is better than LSU?

I hate the SEC as much as anyone, but I knew right after we played them, that they were the best team in the country. Don't be surprised if they beat Clemson as badly as they beat blowu. They are that good.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Remember, the committee put a one loss Bama in when they 1) did not win the SEC and 2) did not even play in the SEC CCG. That group of clowns are capable of doing about anything, including ridiculous stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Agree. I don't think either Clemson or Ohio St. could beat this years LSU team. I think it will be a closer game than the blowout LSU put on the okies, but a total beatdown would not surprise me. LSU has more talent and depth than Clemson. But then again, that's why they play the games, to remove all doubt.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  10. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Utah had no business being there. Did they beat anyone with a winning record? I mean yea, I'm happy we kicked their ***, but that was not a top 4 team. And I don't buy they didn't want to be there. I'm sure they wanted to get to win the most wins in school history. We were ready and they just aren't that good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

I wouldn't doubt Clemson.….

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Utah beat ASU USC Cal and WSU (WSU had a breakeven regular season, lost bowl game).

The PAC has become the doormat of the Power 5 Conferences. Still, Utah was ranked #11 when we played them, so regardless of who they played, they were ranked #11 by the college football polls. We weren't ranked but mudholed a ranked team is how I look at it and is how it's shown in the record books without an asterix saying "Texas beat Utah 38-10 in the 2019 Alamo Bowl, but Utah only beat 3 teams with winning records and didn't want to be there."

13. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Actually they got stomped by USC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Good catch on my error. Thanks for the info.

15. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

ASU was 7-5, Cal was 7-5 and WSU was 6-6. So Utah's best win was over a 7-5 team. Look as I said I'm happy we won. But they should have never been ranked where they were. They played one good team all year in the regular season and got mud holed by Oregon. Again, thrilled we won. Really enjoyed the game. Really excited we got up for this game. Just saying Utah was at best the 3rd best team in the Big 12, probably 6th in the SEC or Big. Says more about Utah than us. Actually says more about the PAC in general.

16. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Nope.. They may beat Clemson, but they aren't all that great. Auburn nearly beat them. Texas nearly beat them. Bama with a hurt QB nearly beat them.

17. RainH2burntO

No way Utah would be 3rd in Big12. I see them about 5-6. OU, Texas, Baylor, and at least 2 of KSU, OSU, ISU and TCU would be most likely above in Big12 play. That really isnt necessarily commentary on individual Big12 team strength, even...just my perception of the difficulty of the Big12 format and the competitive nature of it

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

So...they are aggy?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

One way of looking at it since they could be competitive for 3rd in the $EC West.

20. RainH2burntO

Fixed it for ya

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1