Curtis Brown

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Rex Kramer, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

Great PieceMan, I had no idea this dude had it so rough. Seems like he has a great head on his shoulders. [​IMG]

2. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Doesn't really mention his time at Texas in the article. I'm interested to figure out how the coaches and athletics staff helped him.

3. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

No, it doesn't mention Texas really at all. But I suspect life in Austin was very good for Curtis for 4 years. It seems that what Mack has built has really instilled a family atmosphere throughout the program. That has got to benefit a guy like Curtis more than others. Good for him, and good for us for having a guy like him for 4 years and helping him break the cycle. I really will be rooting extra hard for Curtis now.

4. BClear

BClear < 25 Posts

Great article! Thanks for sharing!

5. southsidepassion

southsidepassion < 25 Posts

Great story, but a bit harsh on Longview (in my opinion):

"Longview, Texas, is not a thriving metropolis. The area Brown is from is small, poor, country, and basically ignored."

6. omnipresent

omnipresent 1,000+ Posts

Sounds like the Longview I know

7. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

8. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

There is plenty of money in Longview indeed. It's right in the heart of the old East Texas oilfield. Having said that it's like a lot of East Texas towns where you've got the wealthier white class and the poor black class. I don't imagine Curtis ever ran around with those in the oil money circle.