CWS

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by notanative, Jun 13, 2015.

1. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

The pounding is getting worse, it's 8-3, in the seventh.

2. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

TCU wins 8-4 and LSU goes back to the bayou.

So for the second year in a row, a Big 12 team must beat Vanderbilt twice, to reach the Championship Series.

Florida must beat Virginia twice, in the other division, to advance to the Championship Series.

3. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

Oh, the brutality of the SEC.

• Like Like x 1
  4. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

still, two out of the 4 are SEC. Just like 4 of the 8 were SEC. You cannot hide from those facts.

5. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I'd like to see TCU send Vandy home, but probably won't happen.

6. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

7. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Florida leads Virginia 4-1 halfway through the first of possibly two games. If Florida wins, they will play again tomorrow.

8. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Florida leads 9-1, bottom of the seventh.

9. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Florida wins 10-5, to force another game tomorrow, for a birth into the Championship Series.

10. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Pullin' for the Ol' Dominion state to come back tomorrow! Don't want two SEC teams in the finals....

11. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Vanderbilt ends TCU's season, with a 7-1 victory, Vanderbilt back to the Championship Series again.

They have the advantage of not playing an extra game, like the Florida vs. Virginia winner has to.

12. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Virginia beats Florida 5-4, to set up a rematch of last year, when Vandy won it all.

13. snek

snek 500+ Posts

Let's go Wahoo's!!!

Is Augie still employed in Austin? I am in denial till the drunk lady, I mean, fat lady sings.

14. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

...and then there was one. You cannot hide from that fact Much like the article quoted elsewhere on Hornfans, the elimination of 4 of the 5 SEC teams, like the SEC postseason performance in football, begs the question of whether the conference is actually as strong as the ESPN and the fellators would have you believe. And if you'll look back, my initial comment was a play on the ESPN accouncer's commenting about how hard it was to get through the 'brutal SEC'. The picking off of the SEC teams, which spared us the boredom of an all-SEC champoinship game, questions the brutality that we are told is there.

15. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

From an objective standpoint the SEC was clearly the best conference in baseball this year, but what bugs everyone but the SEC fans is how somehow being the best conference means everyone else didnt play difficult schedules or play in difficult conferences themselves. SEC fans and the media tend to overrate themselves, yes you were the best conference but you werent playing the '27 yankees every weekend so get over yourselves, last year the Big XII was the best conference (I dont want to hear about 10 SEC teams in tourney that was a joke) but you didnt hear Big XII fans puffing their chests like you do all the freaking time. Worse than overselling themselves is the underrating of others, TCU would have challenged for the SEC title so would Virginia, and I dare say a UCLA team that was really good but just had a really bad weekend. The SEC has such a superiority complex that you almost have to think it masks a tremendous insecurity about themselves.

16. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Someone with more time than I have needs to go back through each SEC team's conference schedule and Regional and/ Super Regional match-ups versus the non-SEC Regional and/ Super Regional match-ups.

My suspicion is it would come out the same as in football - a lot of fluff and very few meaningful games producing a rested group for the CWS.

17. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

If anyone was claiming that all good teams are in the SEC, then your argument would be persuasive. But that is not what people are arguing.

People are saying that the SEC is brutal because of its depth. Placing four teams in the final eight supports this argument. The argument would have been diluted if the SEC teams had fared poorly. But they haven't. At every stage of the CWS finals, half of the remaining teams has been from the SEC (four of eight, three of six, two of four, and now one of two). This provides some support for the idea that there are as many strong teams in the SEC as there are in the rest of the country put together.

18. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

In the first game of the Championship Series, Vandy leads Virginia 5-0, in the eighth.

19. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Vandy wins 5-1 and is one win away, from a second consecutive national championship.

20. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

That is an impressive baseball program.

21. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

They have an excellent pitching rotation, and the fielders to back them up.

22. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Looks to me like Vandy will take the title again.

23. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Those uniforms were hideous, we can't have all positive statements about an SEC team can we?
    I think that is a code violation. :smile1:

They are a very complete team, with few weaknesses.

24. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

If any SEC team has to win any kind of championship, I'm okay with it being Vandy...the only private David competing against the 11 public Goliaths

• Like Like x 3
  25. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

If Vandy wins tonight they will take the championship going 10-0 in the playoffs. That's exceptional.

26. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Virginia trying to extend things to a third game, just like last year. They lead 3-0 in the eighth.

27. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I hope UVA wins it all. What a heartbreaker for a team to get to the title game twice and lose both times.

28. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Virginia wins 3-0, to force a third game, just like last year.

29. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Virginia wins 4-2 in the third game, to become the 2015 National Champions.

30. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

This is the second ACC team to win a national championships ever. The only other title by an ACC team was Wake Forest in 1955. Looks like my yearly tradition of complaining the ACC got too many bids now must end. :angry:

(Note: Miami won 4 national titles, but they were a member of the Big East at the time.)