D.X. Bible

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Billy Dale, Mar 31, 2022.

1. Billy Dale

Billy Dale The History of Longhorn Sports through 2014

In the book “Championship Football” by D.X. Bible, says that the sport of football builds character in young men.

Some say Bible saved Texas football twice. Once as head coach at Texas and once as Texas athletic director when he hired Darrell Royal.

Coach Bible said, "In football, players will learn to consider defeat merely as a temporary setback, and in his heart, he will echo the words of a brave old Scotsman wounded in a battle:

Fight on my men, Sir Andrew said
    a little “ hurt but yet not slain;
    I’m just lie down and bleed a while,
    and then I will rise and fight again.
    Bible said that football “is training; .....it turns a young man toward good and useful citizenship. We reiterate that football is a game worth playing, that it is worth playing well, and that it cannot be played well unless it is played hard.”

Bible was so revered that when it was time to rename the newly remodeled stadium, a contingent of important, mighty Longhorns wanted to rename the stadium after D.X. Bible instead of DKR, and the internal battle for naming rights was intense. The whole link to D.X. Bibles coaching philosophy is at
    The History of Longhorn Sports

1942, D.X. Bible, Roy Dale McKay, Wally Scott and Jackie Field.jpg 1941  Bully Gilstrap, Blair Cherry, D.X. Bible.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
  2. TaylorTRoom

TaylorTRoom 1,000+ Posts

Love this! I was reading recently about the 1943 season, when older players were lost to the draft and many programs had to shut down for a couple of years. Bible cobbled together a team out of on campus OCS trainees and 4-Fs (like Jim Plyler, a terrific DL with jacked up knees) and went to the Cotton Bowl. The story sounds like “The Longest Yard”, but in college. He was just that focused on winning.

• Like Like x 1