Dallas Mavericks

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by bystander, Jul 1, 2016.

1. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Dallas fans. Prepare for the abyss. Nobody of note will come here. Whiteside and Batum, two players supposedly targeted by the Mavs have already announced they will stay with their original team. Parsons is gone (though it would have been sheer insanity to give him a max contract). Dirk, we love you but maybe you should consider signing with someone else. The "brain-trust" seems to have lost their touch They do not know how to manage the draft at all and even if they did it would take five years because they can't sign a major free agent. Think about it. It would take that long ASSUMING they pick the right players and in the mean-time they would be like todays Lakers or 76rs...

2. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

The Mavericks have been "pretty" good to "really" good for a long time. No premium draft choices since before Cuban bought the team. It's going to be a rebuilding process if you want to see more championship banners.

Then again, their Plan A for free agent signings -- DeAndre Jordan last year, Whiteside this year would have extended the mediocrity. Love him or hate him Donnie Nelson can assemble a bunch of mi-range free agents that, with Rick Carlisle coaching, can get them to about .500.

3. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I'm talking about fielding a team that is a contender for the Divison title and the Conference championship. On the level of GS, OKC, SA and LAC....

Hey, that's not too much to ask!

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Cuban has already thrown in the towel by telling his season ticket holders that he wants to play the "long game" and will not spend money to stay competitive in the West.

6. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

You gotta be bad to load up on potential superstars. This was a deep draft and maybe the Mavericks hit gold this year at 9 with Dennis Smith Jr., a potential all start starter at point . Generally by 10 you are looking at low purity silver or bronze -- guys whose highest potential maybe a career as a role player.

7. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Agree that DSJ has shown a lot very quickly. I want to see him against CP3 and Leonard first before declaring him "gold." But I like what I see.

Assuming Noel signs more than the QO, I think a young nucleus of DSJ, Barnes, and Noel is way more desirable to come to.

They need a two-way big that can score 18 points a night.

8. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Just another Jerry Jones. He should have let the basketball people make the pick.

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The West is brutal, and gets more difficult every season

10. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Agreed, their plan should be 2-3 years out.