Dallas - San Francisco Road Trip

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by snow leopard27, Jan 16, 2011.

1. snow leopard27

snow leopard27 250+ Posts

Just got a new Outback and the wife and I are planning for this summer. As of now, intend to hit:

Santa Fe (1 night)
    Grand Canyon North Rim (2 nights camping) with side trip to Antelope Canyon
    Las Vegas (2 nights)
    Mammoth Lakes, CA ( 1night)
    Yosemite (2 nights camping Tuolemne Meadows)
    Marin County (1 night); like to see Muir Woods/Beach)
    SF (3 nights)

The wife then flies back, and I am headed to the Sierras near Lone Pine for 2-3 nights backpacking and fly-fishing for California Golden Trout before heading home.

Are there any "must sees" I am missing? Time is a factor so anything we add something would likely have to be sacrificed.

Also, looking at LV hotels and right now Cosmopolitan looks like the leading candidate but I am not a veteran Vegas visitor. Would like to stay under about $180 per night, so I think Bellagio is out. Any suggestions? Not big gamblers; mainly just looking for a nice room and good pool to relax by.

Thanks in advance !

2. vzhorn

vzhorn 25+ Posts

In SF, go to the Buena Vista. Best Irish coffees in the world. Plus, the famous New Mexican restuarant next to the Palace of the Governors in Santa Fe. RIght next to the main plaza but can't think of the name. Sorry

3. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

I don't have a map in front of me, so I don't know exactly how far it would be off your route, but Zion National Park in Utah is to me a great visit as well. On a trip back from LV almost 10 years ago now, we went from LV to Zion then to the Grand Canyon. I really loved ZIon.