Damion James Recruitment

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by misterpink, Jan 24, 2008.

1. misterpink

misterpink 25+ Posts

Can someone in the know fill me in on his recruitment. I know he was originally committed to OU an was allowed to look around after Sampson left. However, this is where it gets a little grey for me. I have an aggy friend, who swears up and down that he gave Billy his verbal on one day. Then the next day he visits Texas and on the way home he still calls Billy Clyde and says he is staying with the aggy. Well, then he talks with his coach and switches to the Longhorns.

My aggy friend swears up and down that something went down that was fishy. How accurate is this?

2. oh_herro

oh_herro < 25 Posts

The fishy part is on A&M's side. The reason I know is because the actual person that was involved told me. But that is all that I can say.

3. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

There's enough truth in there for your Aggie friend to hurt himself.

After Damion received his LOI release from OU, his assistant coach at Nacogdoches drove him to College Station to visit A&M. A&M did a great job of hosting him. A couple of his former teammates were on the team. They went out and had a great time in the evening, and by the time the coach and Damion left campus the next day, Damion was convinced he wanted to be an Aggie. He even texted the A&M coaches his verbal commitment.

However, he'd already made a commitment to visit the Austin campus, so instead of returning straight to Nacogdoches, they drove to Austin instead.

LaMarcus Aldridge and Daniel Gibson each drove in from Dallas and Houston respectively, where they were preparing for the NBA draft. Barnes, Aldridge, Gibson, and James all went out bowling at one of those midnight disco event type deals. James had a great time. After visiting with Aldridge and Gibson, hearing what Barnes had to say, seeing the campus, Todd Wright, Randa Ryan, and all the other people associated with the basketball program and UT as a university, Damion went home to Nacogdoches and decided UT would be a better fit.

4. misterpink

misterpink 25+ Posts

Well, I didn't know it in that detail but I did remember that his UT visit was very close to a&m's. Thanks for your help, I figured you would know.

5. DVPMD

DVPMD 500+ Posts

midnigt disco bowling...the bane of aggy's existence.

6. hornfan_82

hornfan_82 100+ Posts

great story! [​IMG]

7. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

Red Five,

hoops recruiting is pretty sleazy, and everyone in the big12, yes everyone, is knee deep in it. not saying people are committing violations, just saying that to recruit effectively coaches have to be aggressive in getting up to that line.

8. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

9. CrimsonHeaven

CrimsonHeaven < 25 Posts

Most recruiting is sleazy. The only people who went to further extremes than the Univ. that my kid signed with was the US Air Force and the Marines.............(not the academy on either, the service).
    The USAF sent two girls in white skirts to our house that were so tight I was ready to sign up and the marines sent a recruiter in who told my kid that the Marine Reserve had never and I mean NEVER been activated for combat. What the f**k?

10. Billy Clyde Ag

Billy Clyde Ag 25+ Posts

If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'.

Since when was it illegal to offer a prospect's coach a job in the athletic department?

Hell, Arkie made Mustain's coach offensive coordinator!

11. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

So which is it? If A&M isn't cheating, they aren't trying? Or whatever cheating they may appear to be doing, is actually perfectly acceptable behavior?

12. 2feathers

2feathers 250+ Posts

Damion probably heard stories about people walking on the grass and changed his mind on his own.

13. planoex

planoex 25+ Posts

Glad he's here [​IMG]

14. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

midnight disco bowling sounds like fun.

15. honolulu horn

honolulu horn 100+ Posts

I went midnight disco bowling with LaMarcus and D-Gib. It ******* ruled. I bowled a 250 and did a sweet dance on the hand blower machine. At midnight I hit the neon center pin and won a free game. D-Gib bought me a pack of Funyuns. Then I woke up.

16. Dirty Martin

Dirty Martin 500+ Posts

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time UT hired a recruit's high school or AAU coach in order to get him to come here?

17. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

My memory is kind of fuzzy, but I believe Vic Trilli the HC at Lon Morris JC was hired by Penders when Dexter Cambridge came to UT.

I know Locksley Collie and Panama Myers also played at Lon Morris, but I'm pretty sure it was Cambridge that came with Trilli.