DAMN, CJ LISTED AS DOUBRFUL FOR BU!

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by old65horn, Nov 18, 2019.

1. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

That will be his 5th game to miss. That is a primary reason we have lost 2 games so far. 3 if he does not play against Baylor.

2. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

thabr sucks!

3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

This is crap brought on by inept S&C practices for the fast guys. The Football Strength and Conditioning Coach should either bring in the T&F Sprints and Hurdles S&C Coach for all RB's, DB's, and WR's or be included in the CdC supervised house cleaning at the end of the season.

4. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

With the loss this last weekend, he may be doubtful for the rest of the season. He has had this nagging injury and it could be in his best interest to get fully right physically before the combine.

5. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

I think CJ has the same issues as LJH as far as the next level. He may not run any faster and tall alone doesn't work in the NFL. You might can survive a 4.65 but you can't survive a 4.8 like LJH had. I sure hope CJ is faster. Stuck it out 4 years sure hoping he can cash some NFL checks.

6. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

So is he.

7. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I suppose this could be true, but what's the evidence?

• Like Like x 1
  8. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Gotta disagree. While CJ is terrific, our best WR is Duvernay, and Eagles talent level is not much of a drop off from Johnson IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

CJ is more of a comfort to Sam. Really think we win against ISU with CJ. He'll convert some of those 1st downs and the back shoulder throws for 25-30.

10. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

With respect, missing CJ has really hurt Sam and Eagles is not the problem CJ is. Go back and look at who Sam throws to on 3rd down. Most of the time was CJ. Eagles is nowhere as reliable as CJ. Without CJ, the primary defensive focus is Duvernay. With CJ, they cannot double both of them.

CJ can drive the DB back with his first move , stop on a dime and he does not drop the ball , He is 6'6". The other missing target is Brewer. Has a tight end even caught a ball since Brewer went down?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

In addition, Eagles is a starter when CJ plays. Epps replaces CJ.

12. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

We may have to agree to disagree. I love CJ but he has disappointed me with untimely drops this year and his inability to win 50/50 balls. He also struggles to separate. Johnson has the potential to be an elite talent but I have not seen it displayed consistently.

I actually believe, based on what I have observed, that Eagles has more upside. He is also tall (not as tall) but more filled out. The kid is stout.

Epps hasn’t “yet” developed as expected but he might. He needs to run better routes but his ceiling is also high.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

That hamstring that held CJ out has shown up again, but has popped up again in a different place. I was thinking maybe he could go the medical redshirt route, but now as I understand it, medical redshirts are approved only for players who meet strict criteria: They must have suffered the season-ending injury during the first half of the season, and they could not have played in more than three games before sustaining the injury. CJ was injured early in the season but has played since, so it appears that an MR would not be granted. Now he will have to hope he can rehab the hammy so it is strong enough when he goes to the combine.

14. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

This is what I found for Tight End stats for this season, not sure if it is up to date for all 10 games:

Cade Brewer, TE: 10 receptions 149 yards 1 TD

Reese Laitao, TE: 1 reception 7 yards 0 TDs

So, to answer your question, per the stats there has been only 1 completion to a TE since Brewer went down. The TE position as a target of the QB, has effectively disappeared.

15. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

The only thing I’d say should be considered by you Duke is. There have b even many, many times CJ has gotten clear - good separation - and Sam has been locked on someone else or focused on them to the point he does not pick up the read. Yes, I have seen this with my eyes. I frequently pick a player to focus on during a play and often on CJ when we’re on offense. It’s easy to watch the receivers when your sitting up in the NEZ.

16. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Fair enough and I do accept your assertion. What frustrates me more than anything else is that I see lesser receivers fighting for and winning 50/50 balls more often than I do CJ. I’ll bet that if we were able to ask him that question, he would agree, and concede that it’s an area of his game he needs to improve. He has elite skills. He just needs to hone them a bit more. But I’ll tell you that Eagles is not chopped liver either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

You probably have seen the same Horn publicity stories where CJ in talking up the young kids tries to inspire/build up Eagles telling him to work hard and he can be better than he (CJ) ever was. I like that, one of the reasons I’m such a CJ fan.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1