DanaJacobson suspended by ESPN

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by chuychanga, Jan 23, 2008.

1. chuychanga

chuychanga 500+ Posts

...for some **** she said at a roast for Mike and Mike. Apparently she let loose a Notre Dame and Catholic bashing tirade aimed at Golic, who she regularly trades barbs with about Notre Dame and Michigan. She ended it with, "f**k Notre Dame, f**k Touchdown Jesus, and f**k Jesus."

I don't get it. She was at a roast. That's exactly what a roast is about. You're supposed to go over the line, the further the better. You're supposed to say offensive things you'd never say in public. It's not like she said it on the air. Anyone who gets their feelings hurt at a roast has no business being at a roast.

Link

2. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

A roast is supposed to 'offend' the target of the roast, not the audience. She went over the line with that when she included them in her remarks.

As stated earlier on this board, she would be instantly crucified had she said F Mohammad or F Allah.

3. jthomen

jthomen 25+ Posts

Too far Dana... too far [​IMG]

4. LonghornLawyer

LonghornLawyer 500+ Posts

Beyond that, the offensive comments at a roast are supposed to be humorous. As I said on the other thread, I don't know who Dana Jacobson is, but there's nothing particularly funny about "F Notre Dame, F Touchdown Jesus, and F Jesus." That's more of a drunken and inappropriate rant than it is a humorous roast.

But regardless, I really don't care that she said it. But in our hyper-sensitive culture, she didn't leave ESPN much choice in the matter.

5. SlingeroGuitaro

SlingeroGuitaro 250+ Posts

6. AtlLonghorn

AtlLonghorn 25+ Posts

I'd hit it.

7. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

I am very sorry. My remarks about Notre Dame were foolish and insensitive. I respect all religions and did not mean anything derogatory by my poorly chosen words. I also deeply regret the embarrassment I have caused ESPN and Mike and Mike. My actions at the roast were inappropriate and in no way represent who I really am.

These apologies are so stupid. It's ok girl, i'll say if for you....f**k Notre Dame!

8. happy fun ball

happy fun ball 100+ Posts

It's a roast. The joke/rant is entirely in context, and I think it is pretty damn funny. Reminds me of the 9/11 joke Gilbert Gottfreid told at a roast ["too soon, too soon"] before he went on to the Aristocrats.

All that said, she certainly should have known there would be repurcussions. She did not deserve anything but laughter from people who thought it was funny, and silence or hisses from those offended, but she should have seen espn's reaction as inevitable.

9. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

10. capitalcity

capitalcity 100+ Posts

Dana Jacobsen the antitheist
    Stephen A. Smith the political pundit
    Kenny Mayne the dancer with stars
    John Saunders the race baiter

Remeber when ESPN aired sports and sports highlights?

11. jthomen

jthomen 25+ Posts

^^^
    Nice shot capitalcity

12. univoftexasman

univoftexasman 25+ Posts

13. honolulu horn

honolulu horn 100+ Posts

Why is it okay for ESPN to promote "Touchdown Jesus" on every national broadcast concerning Notre Dame? Isn't that sacreligious as well?

14. Ave. H Horn

Ave. H Horn 100+ Posts

15. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts

Man, people really take ND football seriously.

16. Beamwalker

Beamwalker 250+ Posts

17. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

This does not sit well with Touchdown Jesus.

18. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

19. TheSheriffIsNEAR

TheSheriffIsNEAR 250+ Posts

Beam nailed it.

20. KatyKid

KatyKid 25+ Posts

Don't y'all know that it is OK to offend caucasians, Christians, and men in america without repercussion, but please don't offend any other group of people.

21. elliotthorn

elliotthorn 25+ Posts

22. HistoryHorn

HistoryHorn 25+ Posts

23. NDhouston

NDhouston < 25 Posts

24. UTeed

UTeed 100+ Posts

Blain- I'm sure you don't really care but that is incredibly insulting.

25. rtchorn

rtchorn 250+ Posts

26. Meursault

Meursault 250+ Posts

27. rtchorn

rtchorn 250+ Posts

You know, I'm starting to think that this is just a ploy be ESPN to boost ratings/DVD sales.

28. chuychanga

chuychanga 500+ Posts

deleted by chuychanga

29. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Interesting situation. It was at an offsite venue and the nature of the comment was at the level of the situation. I mean I bet there were many other comments uttered night long that many could be offended with....Jimmy Kimmel for instance makes all kinds of comments that either outright offend or offend by suggestion and do we see Fox canning him....no.

Certainly if they fired her she would have a good chance in court. They suspended her and got her to apologize but I have a feeling that was more of a backroom deal between them and her to save face on the network. Also I hope nobody laughed in that audience and I hope none of them were representing ESPN at the time b/c then they should apologize as well. [​IMG]

30. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts