DanaJacobson suspended by ESPN

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by chuychanga, Jan 23, 2008.

1. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

Where else can one go but hornfans.com to find such a large group of people who don't understand why others would be offended by remarks like these. Of course, if she was aggy talking about some religious, racial or ethnic minority, there would be complete understanding and scorn.

[​IMG]

2. LonghornLawyer

LonghornLawyer 500+ Posts

And were an ESPN employee to march in a KKK parade and be recognized as an ESPN employee, I suspect he wouldn't be an ESPN employee for very much longer.

And forgive me for going back to this, but I really have to:

3. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

I have also occasionally seen the religions categorized that way. I don't think it is necessarily meant as a slap to Catholicism.

Being a Catholic certainly doesn't disqualify a person from being a Christian...just like being a Methodist or Baptist or Presbyterian, etc. doesn't make a person a Christian...like hanging out in the garage doesn't make you a car.

4. Beamwalker

Beamwalker 250+ Posts

5. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

6. LonghornLawyer

Perhaps I'm just not easily offended. I get what you're saying, netslave, and I kind of put it as akin to saying "f**k your mother" or something like that. And if she were to day "f**k LonghornLawyer's mother," I just don't think I'd be offended. I'd roll my eyes and think she's an *******, but I wouldn't be terribly offended.

Or perhaps I'm confusing the concepts of "offended" and "upset." Perhaps I'd be mildly offended because of the inappropriateness of it, but I wouldn't find it upsetting in the least. Maybe that's the way to conceptualize it--is anyone really upset by her comments?

7. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

8. NDhouston

NDhouston < 25 Posts

9. txzen

txzen 100+ Posts

Pretty sure "touchdown Jesus" is blasphemy.

10. NDhouston

NDhouston < 25 Posts

How so?

Just FYI, here's the Catholic Encyclopedia's explanation of what blasphemy is: "While etymologically blasphemy may denote the derogation of the honour due to a creature as well as of that belonging to God, in its strict acceptation it is used only in the latter sense. Hence it has been defined by Francisco Suárez as "any word of malediction, reproach, or contumely pronounced against God".

11. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

All I know is I want ESPN to get Wendi Nix more air-time [​IMG]

12. Drew Shirley

Drew Shirley 100+ Posts

Mormons are not Christians, for the love of Joseph Smith. Sheesh.

13. TheSheriffIsNEAR

TheSheriffIsNEAR 250+ Posts

She's back....anyone see the beginning of the show?

I watched a minute of the 2nd hour. She wasn't wearing a crucifix on her necklace or anything, so who knows where things stand now. [​IMG]

14. Eastwood22

Eastwood22 250+ Posts

I was just merely regurgitating a fact taught to me in a Texas public institution of higher learning. Did not mean to offend anyone. Write your congressmen...

15. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

16. Orange Marrow

Orange Marrow 250+ Posts

17. LonghornLawyer

18. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

In reply to:

19. LonghornLawyer

20. netslave