Dang Dang Dang!

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by orangehoops, Jan 30, 2008.

1. orangehoops

orangehoops 100+ Posts

who would have thought we'd go into the ferrell center and shoot better from the floor, from beyond the arc, and outrebound baylor and yet still come up a point short? great game, but so many missed opportunities. at some point we'll turn the corner and realize that we have to back up great defense with better decision making on the offensive end and cut down the silly unforced turnovers. i don't doubt at all that we will grow from this and become a better team. overall a pretty good effort, but the turnovers and missed crucial free throws killed us. otherwise i'm proud of the way the team played. keep on working, y'all. it'll eventually pay off.

2. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

It's really hard to see them drop such a close game, especially one that they could have won. But honestly, I didn't expect them to play as well as they did.

I didn't expect it to be a close game - didn't think we'd get blown out, but didn't think it would be that close or that we'd have a chance to win.

Call me a pessimist, I guess. But, with such an attitude I feel very good about this very close loss. I think the team is close to playing really good basketball.

I'm very excited to play Baylor at the Erwin center.

I feel much more confident about our chances this Sunday against Oklahoma.

So as bad as I hate it that they lost, I really feel pretty good about the team (excepting of course, the turnovers and missed free throws)

3. orangehoops

orangehoops 100+ Posts

btw, GREAT GAME ashley lindsey! what a difference we are seeing in this young lady! oh yeah, and i saw cokie reed in the crowd on the video. can you imagine what the texas staff could do with her being as talented as she is already? wow!

good game by carla cortijo as well!

4. MadTrapper

MadTrapper 100+ Posts

I find it mildly interesting that Carla didn't have any assists.

Can't wait to see how the ladies come out and play against OU.

[​IMG]

5. Hornsaway

Hornsaway 25+ Posts

Tough tough loss. I am so proud of the way our ladies hung in there on defense and fought the whole game. It is coming folks.

6. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

Agreed about Ashley Lindsey. It is very obvious that she has put in a ton of work to improve her game. I am very impressed with the progress that she has made and how much she is contributing to the success of the team. My hat's off to you Ashley. [​IMG]

7. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Coach G coached us to a win, but the team just couldn't quite deliver...I know they will get better and eventually they will be able to take advantage of having such an excellent coach. It was obvious to me that in the second half Baylor was getting out-coached but not quite out-played. And I say that realizing that Mulkey is a damn good coach even if her sense of fashion leaves a lot to be desired!!!

It's only up from here... We will soon be to the Big 12 what Tennesse is to the SEC and UConn is to the Big East. I, for one, can hardly wait. [​IMG]

8. Driftwood

Driftwood 250+ Posts

Sorry, but Texas was flat outcoached and outplayed at end game. Texas went up by 2 with 19 seconds on the clock based on a super effort by the whole team. Mulkey called time out and put in a play. Tisdale came off a super screen and drained the 3. Gail called time out. Texas came out with 10 seconds left and failed to get a shot off. Too many turnovers! Too many missed FTs at end game and failure to protect the ball all game long. Don't know who to blame, but it is both coaches and players. Should have beat KSU, T Tech, Baylor, Virginia. Hope we learn end game soon!

9. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Inability to hit FTs in the second half did the team in. Baylor did a good job of taking Britainey and Kat out of the offense. They got about half the shots they normally take. I was really encouraged about the way the Horns played. Combine that D with a slightly improved offense and the Horns will lose few games the rest of the way. Kat is running into the same problem that Erika had the first two seasons. Teams are locking down on her with no other viable 3pt threat on the team. Others can hit the three but not consistently.

I agree that the offense will continue to improve as the season progresses. The Horns have a huge opportunity to get a big win Sunday at home. They are certainly capable of doing it. Gonna be a really fun game.

10. rosevilleblock

rosevilleblock 250+ Posts

I was at the game last night and I really thought that there were alot of bad calls that went against Texas although i'm not blaming this loss on that. Longhorns missed to many crucial freethrows.

11. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

As seems to be the standard in most games, the home team (Baylor) got the FT line more often than the visitors. Baylor got 10 more FT attempts. The difference in the second half was not big, as they got 19 FTs and we got 17. We got to the line quite a bit more in the OSU game at Austin. Seems like the home team may be more willing to force the issue early when at home while not doing that on the road, perphaps wanting to stay out of foul trouble.

As for Coach G being outcoached, it still comes down to the players executing. Wilson made a heck of a defensive play. Kat may have taked the ball inside just one dribble too far. The Horns failed to execute a switch on Tisdale's 3. And it still looked like the Horns just missed deflecting that shot.

12. orangehoops

orangehoops 100+ Posts

both coaches did a great job. baylor executed in crucial moments and we gave the ball away too many times.

13. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

I'm really wondering how we were out coached on the last play - of course they put in a 3 point play and it has been stated by players and those who were at the game that Texas did not switch on defense, and thus, left Tisdale with just enough daylight to sink the "3". How is that "out coaching"??? [​IMG]

From my perspective, Coach G has done a whale of a job thus far and for someone to suggest she was "out coached" - well, that just doesn't sit well with me! [​IMG]

14. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Texas came into the game the clear underdog. Baylor was considered by everyone to be the better team...and yet in the second half Coach G put us exactly where we needed to be to get the win. When we needed to be at the line, we were there and when we needed the possession we had it. Unfortunately the players didn't make the crucial shots from the line and turned over what should have been our final and the game's final possesion. Coach G out-coached the situation but unfortunatley the players couldn't convert. She can coach them to the basket, but they must put the ball through the net. She can get them to the final 30 secs with a lead and then put them in the favorable position of having the last possession but they have to not turn over the ball. That said, these players are getting better each game. Baylor won, but the future looks bright for UT - in my most humble opinion. [​IMG]

15. orangehoops

orangehoops 100+ Posts

very well said, wcbbnut, and i completely concur. things will get better and better. we couldn't have gotten a better replacement to help breathe life back into the tradition that conradt built.

16. Hornsaway

Hornsaway 25+ Posts

That is absolutely ridiculous to say Coach G was outcoached. We flat out outplayed Baylor but did not execute down the stretch or hit our free throws. How many passes from Carla were fumbled. I saw at least four beautiful passes that were fumbled out of bounds.

This team will continue to get better. They are being taught high-tech basketball by one of the best and it takes time. BEAT OU!!!

17. orangehoops

orangehoops 100+ Posts

offensively, with our quickness and athleticism, we need to be taking it to the rack more consistently. i'll use derek harper's analogy of the dallas mavericks in saying that it's important that we flirt -- and have brief affairs with -- the jump shot , but not fall in love with it. again, coaches can preach and teach, but ultimately the executing is up the the players. coach g's system is intricate and multi-optional. i feel we are still on the learning curve regarding reading and taking what the defense gives us. eventually it's going to start coming together on a more consistent basis. i'm enjoying watching this team learn and grow!

18. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

19. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

I was concerned about handling Courtney as well but after seeing Ash Wednesday night she's slim but she's quick and she can handle her own. She's becoming a presence in the paint. I can't wait to see which defense Coach G uses to handle Courtney. Will she double her and make the rest OU beat us or what?

I'm enjoying watching our defense. At the game Wednesday when the ladies we're getting ready to trap they would yell BALL, BALL, BALL. I love it! They're communicating on the court and making great defensive stops. Now if we could just fine tune turning those stops into points!

Hook'em Horns! [​IMG]

20. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

She's definitely a presence in the paint, but she gives up about 200 pounds to Courtney. She's very fast for a post player though, and runs the break well, maybe Ashley can tire her out.

21. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Great game ladys! Way too many unnecessary turnovers.The sad part is, the defense was not forcing them.We look like we were rushing everything.

22. texfiter

texfiter 100+ Posts

One poster above stated that Coach G was "outcoached" and offers this as evidence: "Too many turnovers! Too many missed FTs at end game and failure to protect the ball all game long."

Coaches don't commit turnovers. Coaches don't shoot free throws. Coaches don't protect the ball. Players do. With a one-point loss to the No. 6 team in the country in a hostile atmosphere in one of the toughest conferences in America this year, in my mind, doesn't suggest being outcoached. It does suggest that the team will continue to learn from its mistakes (hopefully) and learn to close out games as you suggest. Coaches coach. Players execute.

23. Branyon

Branyon 500+ Posts

I surprised by the FT% and TOs, but I was also pleasantly surprised by the close score. This Longhorn team was slaughtered on the road by Nebraska just a few weeks ago. This week they hung with a very good Baylor team. The improvement is a result of excellent coaching and motivation by Coach G and staff.