Darrell Resigns, Mack Stays

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by HORN60, Oct 16, 2012.

1. HORN60

HORN60 100+ Posts

Darrell resigned at the end of one his worst seasons, concerned more that he could no longer do for the program what needed to be done than for his own personal legacy.

And yet - Mack holds on, clearly faced with his inability to provide the program with what it needs, apparently concerned more with his legacy in the job.

Every man who heads coaching at The University of Texas follows Darrell. Mack came close to stepping in all the footsteps Darrell left. But only close. And here, that kind of close will never be good enough.

2. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

17 and 14 last 2 and a half seasons. [​IMG]

3. Handler XIII

Handler XIII 1,000+ Posts

with only 2 ranked teams left, he will win enough to stay and build a bigger sinkhole for the next guy.

4. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

I suspect in Mack's world, he can say that this is what happened in 2003, and then he pulled the rabbit out of the hat. Problem is, I don't see that happening again. I suspect he will get at least another year to prove me wrong.

5. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

6. HORN60

HORN60 100+ Posts

McCombs said yesterday that Mack can decide when he leaves. The sportswriter who reported that said he interpreted it to mean one more year.

The ulitmate say is probably with Jamail - who, as far as I know, has made no comment. I imagine Red wouldn't make a public statement without knowing Joe's mind.

We are in for another year and a half.

7. dthree36

dthree36 500+ Posts

Just wait till the end of this season.... two losses so far is not as bad as it may be. Yes its yet another OU loss and it upsets me but what if this team pulls it together and they go 10-2. Difficult yes but still possible. I am sure many who want a change were thinking big when the team was 4-0. The writing was on the the wall the whole time. This team isn't that good but is stocked with Talent. I say wait till the end of the season to determine what changes need to be made.

8. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I am not at all optimistic this team will go 10-2 or 9-3. How the team bounces back against BU will give us a temperature reading on how the rest of the season is likely to go. I fear they may go 6-6. If that happens (or worse) I suspect Jamail, McCombs, Moffett, etc. will not be able to give MB any longer past the end of the season, but I could be wrong.

9. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Royal decided to leave? I thought he was forced out by Drunk F. Erwin.

10. arieshorn

arieshorn 1,000+ Posts

A 5 million a year job is hard to walk away from for any CEO er I mean any head coach.

[​IMG]

11. Texas Renegade

Texas Renegade 100+ Posts

No Frank tried to fire Darrell in the 70s after we got embarrassed in the bluebonnet bowl I think.... He didn't get anywhere.

Darrell decided to retire after he could only manage a tie against Switzer and realized that the losing hurt more then the winning ever felt good. That and he just didn't enjoy it anymore.

12. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

13. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

I am certain ya'll have missed the whole story in explaning why DKR decided to retire.

14. Texas Renegade

Texas Renegade 100+ Posts

1. He game planned all year to beat Switzer and was so dissappointed with the tie that it made him physically sick.

2. He wasn't enjoying it anymore.

3. He didn't like what college football/recruiting had become and didn't like the things others were doing in recruiting to get players. (ie wasn't enjoying it anymore)

Please elucidate on what I left out.

Those are the reasons.

Frank (who I have a high opinion of for a great many things with the University) wasn't even on the BOR when Royal stepped down. Allan Shivers was Chairman and calling the shots and he hand picked Fred Akers over Mike Campbell, because Fred had a polished appearance and Shivers wanted Royal isolated and to reduce his influence.

15. Orangeblood

Orangeblood 1,000+ Posts

"Darrell resigned at the end of one his worst seasons..."

Contrary to the belief of some, the season's not over.

16. HORN60

HORN60 100+ Posts

I started this thread with a simple comment about Darrell: he resigned, and, for whatever reasons or motivations unknown to most of us, it was because he understood that a time and a circumstance had come in which he could not longer function as he wished.

My point is that Darrell understood something which Mack seems to not, and I attribute nothing altruistic to it, just a compliment of realization.

Mack seems to believe in something more than he actually sees in himself. He has failed us with respect to a most important aspect of the program - ou, and he has been paid like a god in the process.

I wouldn't dream of asking him to resign next week (although it wouldn't bother me). And, even if he wins out 2012, he has still failed us with ou, and there is no sign that he will succeed in that in the future.