Dave South Broadcast

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by jctex, Nov 25, 2011.

1. jctex

jctex 25+ Posts

Does anyone have a link to the A&M broadcast of last night's game? I forgot to turn it on and listen in to Dave South.

Hook 'em

2. BigEarlinBastrop

BigEarlinBastrop 250+ Posts

Oh, I had my radio right there and should have turned on Dave South for his call of the FG. We were too busy concentrating with our horns up. [​IMG]

3. tamster

tamster 500+ Posts

please someone post a link of the audio!!!

skc

4. horn4jc

horn4jc 1,000+ Posts

"The snap, the kick is up...........................................................(2 minutes later) and it is good."

5. brint

brint 25+ Posts

6. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

Thank me later....

The Link

Dave South's call is right at the beginning.....

7. J D the Obscure

J D the Obscure 250+ Posts

Thank you gecko!

8. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Thanks, gecko. That was more anticlimactic than I had hoped for.

9. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes, I am nonplussed. South was very matter of fact. It was like he was reporting the result of the first UT-A&M game from 1894, which he likely attended, and maybe even broadcast.

10. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

11. jctex

jctex 25+ Posts

His deadpan speaks . . . volumes . . .

Thanks, gecko!

12. BigEarlinBastrop

BigEarlinBastrop 250+ Posts

Thanks! Not up to Dave South normal hilarity, but satisfying still the same. [​IMG]

13. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

14. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I listened to the first 5 minutes or so of the game courtesy Sirius, and it did provide this South gem:
    "McCoy back to pass, he's gonna run with it, and it's going to be incomplete!"

15. HORNS1999

HORNS1999 25+ Posts

16. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

17. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Yes, Dave, we stormed the field.

Suck it, aggy.

18. Y Sanchez

Y Sanchez 250+ Posts

Why shouldn't Texas storm that field?

Texas has a better winning record there than they do.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

19. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

20. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

21. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Maybe it's just me, but is anyone else rubbed the wrong way when an announcer says "they" or "we?" Like he's part of the team in some way?

I never get used to it when Dave says it during a broadcast. Even when it's not Texas playing, he still says "they" when referring to KSU or Baylor or anyone else. Makes me feel really uncomfortable, and I get this image of Aggie overlords standing behind him while he's on the mic.

Same goes for other SEC announcers who do the same thing. Maybe it's a southern thing and Craig Way is too cosmopolitan for that kind of crap, but it just reeks of desperation and poor broadcasting skills.

22. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Craig Way honestly is much more objective than most radio announcers and it's part of what makes him good. I want to radio commentary from someone who sounds like a professional, not someone who sounds like he's from the booster club.

23. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

24. MarylandHorn

MarylandHorn 500+ Posts

Lazy game calling using "they" and "we" is definitely a southern thing and really irritates me. I lived in Georgia and would occasionally listen to the radio broadcasts of games and was always perturbed when the home field announcer would say something like "our quarterback takes the snap, hands it off to our running back, and he takes it up the middle for a 5 yard gain." Laziness in not even using their own guys' names. And you don't even have to study up before the game if all of the players are called our wide receiver or their linebacker. Aggy will fit right in with the SEC.

25. horn4jc

horn4jc 1,000+ Posts

I have no problem with homer announcers because everyone has their own radio network. Craig Way is more objective than most but he's still a homer. One of the best announcers was Larry Munson who just passed away. He was a Georgia homer, but he made no pretense of being objective. However, he was a good announcer and he knew how to call the game.

The thing with Dave South isn't that he's a homer, but he's horrible at calling games. Him and the other guy sound like the Greater Tuna radio station.