David Ash - open letter to Longhorn fandom

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Statalyzer, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

The Link

• Like Like x 2
  2. arieshorn

arieshorn 1,000+ Posts

God bless you David.

[​IMG]

3. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

4. Jim Bob

Jim Bob 1,000+ Posts

David, it's easy to pull for a guy with character. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. No le hace

No le hace 500+ Posts

and class! [​IMG]

6. PennHORN

PennHORN 25+ Posts

7. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

8. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

9. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Good words from one of the good guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

love that kid.

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

13. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

He still has at least 1 yr of eligibility left, right? Not sayng he should come back, but another year in college would help him....assuming he is truly fully recovered!

14. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

That's what I was thinking.
    Probably as a grad transfer somewhere.

15. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Even if he hasn't hired an agent can he participate in a Pro Day and maintain college eligibility?

16. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Wondering the same! A healthy David Ash (and that's a big maybe!) could be the tonic for Herman this season. If he were my son, first I would advise against football period! But, if he is truly adamant (with no extraordinary risk...that is, compared to any other normal player his age), then he should spend another season in college before thinking about the NFL. But, if he can land a spot as a punter, that could be a different conversation.

Whatever path he chooses, I wish him all the best....he is a great kid!!:bevo:

• Like Like x 1
  17. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  18. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

I feel you're right about this, but this article doesn't address "whether you play or not". It merely states.....

"Texas quarterback David Ash now has two years of eligibility remaining after the NCAA approved his petition for a medical redshirt for 2013, a source told CBSSports.com on Friday"

Here is the Medical RS rule summary.....

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/17/how-get-medical-redshirt.htm

It looks like the part that applies is the 5 yr clock. But, reading this presents a little gray area because there are numerous cases that "extend the clock" to 6 years. Ash is likely past any clock extension, but he only used 2 years of his eligibility. Thus, the root of my question!

19. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

The article was just for the timeline... the regulation is five years to play four. The medical redshirt would have given him one more, but even with six, the last year he could have played college ball was 2016.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  20. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

OK, I get the complete picture now. 2016 would have been his 6th year, so case closed!
    A scenario that I' can't quite figure out is the kid who takes a normal redshirt (say his FR yr), then has a early season ending injury in another year. Does the clock extend 6 years in this case? I recall Jason Shipley and Bo Scaife having received 6 years, but don't recall their circumstances...?

21. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

If indeed Ash has exhausted his eligibility based on current rules, I wonder if he could petition for an additional waiver. My assumption is that the rules when written didn't take into account the impact and nature of concussions. To carry the thought process further, medical experts might argue that 12 or perhaps even 24 months might not be sufficient to "heal, so to speak. What I am suggesting is that concussions are a new frontier that have the potential of changing how the rule might be applied going forward.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

It should have been the case the whole time that any years missed for documentable medical reasons can be counted as medical redshirt years.