Dear Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by WashU-Horn, Nov 7, 2012.

1. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

This is why vacated SCOTUS seats should not be filled until after a POTUS election. Justices should not be allowed to wait for their POTUS of choice to select their replacement.

2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I wish her well
    I also wish she would accept that while she is trying to recover she is not capable of giving her full attention to the court and issues. Anyone who thinks she can is not being realistic.
    IF this mean she is relying on her staff too much then we are not getting what we elect supremes for but getting opinions from unelected interns.

While she is recovering he should recuse herself .she does not have to step down but right now she is not putting the country and SCOTUS first.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It seems like their plan is to Weekend at Bernie's here until 2020, and then attempt to argue no SCOTUS confirmations in the final year. It clearly will not be the same situation as Garland, but they will try.

[​IMG]

4. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Do we have the right to ask to see and hear from her?

5. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

They're lifetime appointments per the Constitution. Hinging vacated seats on POTUS elections is a terrible development that has encouraged justices to hang on longer than effective, reinforced by the Merrick Garland fiasco.

6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Section 1 of Article 3 of the Constitution says:
    The judicial Power of the United States, shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behavior, and shall, at stated Times, receive for their Services a Compensation which shall not be diminished during their Continuance in Office.

The Constitution does leave open the possibility of impeachment and removal by the Congress. One justice was impeached, but not convicted, and another was essentially forced out under the threat of impeachment.

7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

"The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behavior"

That is pretty vague but it could mean we have the right to see she is exhibiting " good behavior">

Of course she has a right to privacy as she recuperates but we also have the right to have confidence she is aware enough to make her own decisions.

8. Seattle Husker

This whole "Is Ruth Bader Ginsberg alive" discussion is eerily reminiscent of "Hillary is hiding a health problem" that we now know in retrospect was an invention of Roger Stone.

Let the woman recuperate in peace.

9. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Except she's had health problems that she's been hiding.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

"The judiciary does not assess the competence of its senior judges. The courts have no formal policy requiring, or even recommending, that judges receive medical checkups or consult with geriatricians. Instead, the institution relies on other judges to monitor colleagues, and, working discreetly behind the scenes, to push out enfeebled judges gently."

And Rehnquist used to argue for the use of a writ of scire facias, which would allow for federal judge removal without impeachment

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  11. Seattle Husker

She's been hiding health problems?

12. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Let's see Ginsburg is 85 has had cancer 3 times, has heart problems,
    fell and fractured ribs in late fall
    Dec. She announced she was fine and ribs were healing
    A week later it was announced a subsequent exam revealed cancerous nodes in her lung which were removed during a pulmonary lobectomy.
    That operation is pretty serious for anyone but for an 85 y o recovering from that fall even more so.
    There is no invention here, FACTS
    Was the cancer in her lung primary or mestastic?
    She has not appeared in public even during a video.

SH based on facts and that she is a Supreme why would you think it is intrusive to want to be sure she is capable of discharging her duties?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

@Horn6721, same reason McConnell doing the same thing in an election year and waiting to see the election result, which has been done many times throughout US history, is a "fiasco". Because it's BS. Oh, remember, when it was a mere formality that Hillary would be President? Wasn't a big deal that the hearings were delayed until her sorry *** lost.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Seattle Husker

As long as you advocated filling Scallia's seat as soon as possible then your argument is consistent. If not, then you shouldn't worry about Ginsberg for a least a year. :p

15. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

???
    So you are saying RBG is like Scalia? Dead?
    I have not mentioned replacing her. You are the one mentioning that.
    I am saying we should have the right to make sure she is capable of fulfilling her duties as a Supreme.

16. Seattle Husker

Where is your concern? That the "seat" can't operate (e.g. "capable of fulfilling her duties as a Supreme)? You've already established that the SCOTUS can operate just fine with 8 justices. In turn, if you weren't concerned in 2016 and are concerned now then I'd argue your intentions are born of a partisan nature.

17. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

But that's my point. They are hinged on POTUS elections now because certain SCOTUS justices time their retirement to coincide with their POTUS of choice. If the seat stayed vacant until after the next POTUS election then ideological justices like Ginsburg could not time their retirement as they do not know who will nominate their replacement. Also, voters will be more informed about the influence that the next President will have on the courts. The only downside is that there will be less than 9 SCOTUS justices from time to time. I don't see that as a huge disadvantage. I actually think 8 justices are better than 9 as it would require a margin of at least 2 votes for a victory.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

8 justices is better than 9 where one of the 9 might be a vegetable being spoon fed by their interns.

If one of the 9 is incapable of carrying out their duties without the influence of others, then lets just go down to 8 until after the next election. However, her trying to just have a pulse for as long as possible to prevent Trump from getting another nomination, when she cant do her job, is plain wrong. We dont know how incapacitated she really is though and we need to know.

19. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

SH?
    "You've already established that the SCOTUS can operate just fine with 8 justices.
    How did I establish that?

20. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

No she wasn’t hiding health problem. She was “trying” to hide those health problems and she failed. She almost died three times leading up to the election. :tap:

21. Seattle Husker

Let's go back. Did you support McConnell's desire to hold any nominations to replace Scalia until after the election? If so, they you were fine operating with 8 justices for a year.

22. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

SH
    That was not an important topic for me. But let's say I did
    OK so 8 Justices can do the job
    That is even more reason to verify RBG is lucid and capable of the job. IF she is not then let her take a leave of absence while she recuperates.
    What no one should want is to have an unelected staff making decisions for a Supreme. right?

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Ive seen rumors that she was spotting entering a gym with a PT person, and Ive seen rumors she is in a medically induced coma.
    Given that we know from experience that most of our national media would sit on bad news for their side, it does make you at least wonder.

24. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I don't know why this has become such a discussion. Both sides are playing political games with Supreme Court Justice openings and appointments. Both sides are going to ruthlessly bend the rules in their favor and scream when the other side does it. There is no principle here that both sides should follow but "win". It is the principle they care about and the one we care about.

• Like Like x 2
  25. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  26. Seattle Husker

Trump? Is that you?

27. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

You mean like the Paul is dead discussions?

28. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

This is a symptom of a bigger problem which is that the Supreme Court is far, far too powerful and important. The founding fathers never intended for it to be so. Hell, the first Chief Justice quit to become Governor of New York after only presiding over a four cases in six years, only one of which had any significance (and that was overturned by constitutional amendment). That's how insignificant the Court was. It wasn't that there weren't big legal disputes back then. There were, but the Court's subject matter jurisdiction was so narrow back then that very few cases would be properly before the Court.

Can anybody imagine John Roberts deciding that he'd like a promotion to governor of any state or frankly to take any job in government? Hell no. When he wants to be, he's the most powerful man in the United States. He has unlimited and arbitrary veto power over every federal, state, and local law or court decision, and he doesn't have it because the Constitution gives it to him. He has it because every other branch chooses to yield to him. That isn't how it's supposed to work.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  29. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Oh, I understand that aspect of it. I just don't understand why anyone expects either side to play fair when there is an appointment to be made.

If the Senate is controlled by the Democrats they are going to use their power to influence the appointment how they want. Same with the Republicans. Holding off appointment hearings or propping up retirement age Justices is going to happen. There is no influence to keep it from happening. Not even voters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

A more immediate concern is RGB's ability to function as a Supreme.
    And right now no one knows.