Death toll in Texas elementary school; 18 children, 2 adults killed

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by BevoJoe, May 24, 2022.

1. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

The suspect was identified as 18-year-old Salvador Ramos, a student at Uvalde High School. The death toll in the shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, rose to 20, with at least 18 children, one teacher and the shooter's grandmother killed, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety. The 18-year-old suspect, a student at Uvalde High School, is also dead, Gov. Greg Abbott said.

Abbott said the suspect "shot and killed horrifically and incomprehensibly" more than a dozen students and a teacher.

The shooting took place as soon as the suspect entered the school and all of the victims at the school died "in the same location inside the school," authorities told ABC News. He was quickly confronted by law enforcement.

The suspect also allegedly shot and killed his grandmother before entering the school and again opening fire.

2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Incredibly sad.

3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately the left has already politicized it.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  4. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

The killer sent signs 2 days before but not actionable under 1st amendment
    Really want to hear the parents.parent/caregiver story
    Where the guns came from??
    This is so tragic
    BUT the second amendment is NOT the problem

• Agree Agree x 4
    • poop poop x 2
  5. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

They also apparently memory holed the car that killed folks including children at a parade.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Can we at least pass a universal background check bill that supports universal background checks? A significant portion of actual gun owners support it. It was 92% at one point. The data is dated. At the time 72% of NRA members supported it. This is nuts.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I have no problem with that.

To be perfectly honest, I don't own a gun and never have.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

A song by Bystander

Why would you kill somebody's baby?
    Is your heart so dark and crazy?
    Why didn't you ask me to be your friend?
    Did you think it was better to make it all end?

I know people are sadder than sad
    But you were madder than mad
    You decide there's no way to fix it
    Your evil dreams became too realistic

You killed her baby today
    You could have saved it instead
    You could have been the world you craved
    But buried with a child is love left unsaid
    You became what you believed
    Hatred is the baby you conceived

I wonder if you care how she grieves
    Is she the mother for whom you prayed?

When a man decides it's his right to kill
    Nothing can stop that kind of will
    We pray and pray but it's almost a thrill
    To do unto others as Satan's hell will

You could have saved it instead
    You could have been the world you craved
    But buried with a child is love left unsaid
    Instead you became what you believed
    Hatred is the baby you conceived

I wonder if you care how she grieves
    Is she the mother for whom you prayed?

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: May 25, 2022
  10. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Most guns used in crimes are obtained illegally. How will more laws prevent criminals from breaking existing laws? This is the logical fallacy in gun control laws.

Murder is illegal. Bring a gun near a school campus is illegal. Do you really think someone considering mass murder is above getting a gun through illegal channels?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Ok. We should do nothing. Check.

Again, an overwhelming majority of GUN OWNERS and REPUBLICANS support this stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  12. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

America can keep airports secure, why not do the same for schools? Control access into the area, into the building and into the classrooms. Have an armed police officer at the front door with metal detectors.

13. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Didn't we have that in the Florida shooting? The problem we have is that the criminals are better armed and more protected than the protectors.

14. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

The travel industry lobby has more power than the schools. The parents have to demand it and be willing to pay for it locally; OR we add more to the general tax burden.

But in the end, who will give up their pet project for that kind of security in every school?

15. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

This might have something to do with it. But, I'm a simpleton.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Predictable thread.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Nice knee jerk response. Just because I don't want to waste time doing something ineffective, does not mean that I oppose doing something effective. More gun control laws will not solve this problem. We have tons of gun control laws already. They are useless at preventing crime because criminals don't follow the rules.

I would first start by putting some armed security in schools. It's a perfectly common sense thing to do. We do it at airports, federal buildings, banks, but for some reason we do not protect our most precious assets. Its unforgivable. Schools are the softest target out there right now. They have a huge bullseye on them but Democrats continue to focus on more useless gun control laws.

There are obviously other measures we should take beyond this. We need to better understand the social and mental issues that turns a kid into a mass murder.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I don’t believe so at least not what I am advocating. No way that scumbag wrecks a car in the parking lot and gets out with two AR’s without being shot in the head in my system.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Congress, mostly led by Dems, just authorized $40 billion in arms.

• Hot Hot x 1
  20. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

So your argument is that armed security is not effective at deterring criminals? You should tell banks, federal buildings, and airports so they can save a bunch of money on security.

This type of silliness is a perfect example of why this issue never gets addressed. You don't really believe what you are saying. You are just following the political narrative you have been fed.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  21. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, that's it.

Keep ******* that chicken!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  22. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

23. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Bubba proves once again that libs are not problem solvers.

• Agree Agree x 6
  24. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

25. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  26. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

I cant even see his post but know this is true.

• Funny Funny x 2
  27. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

No amount of universal background checks or banning of weapons will eliminate these events. Proactive defense of schools and actual enforcement of current laws would substantially reduce/eliminate what happened yesterday. As well, when someone posts the warning signs they should be investigated immediately and neutralized.

• Agree Agree x 4
  28. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

I agree no gun laws can prevent these killings. It's a waste of time and effort. Nutjobs are going to obtain weapons.

What concerns me is there's no way to completely prevent these killings on campus with armed guards. First off, who pays for the service? Then, How do you find enough competent (mentally and otherwise) people to fill the positions? There are help wanted signs everywhere, even here in east texas. My concern would be you get bottom of the barrel people to fill those positions, not what we need

29. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hot Hot x 2
  30. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

You're not wrong. However, I think sentiments such as this allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good. Things like universal background checks, increasingly criminalizing the illegal owning of firearms, red flag laws, etc. can make an impact. Doing nothing but arming more people will only lead to more dead people. I think that's fairly clear now. The last two mass casualty events saw the good guys with the guns not having an impact.

• Like Like x 1