Death toll in Texas elementary school; 18 children, 2 adults killed

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by BevoJoe, May 24, 2022.

1. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

A. MM = :hookem: A good Methodist boy.
    B. LOL at mona's hatred of MM.
    C. Maybe we should discuss the 2nd Amendment. You know, drill down on the first part "a well regulated militia". It's the part we don't talk about at parties.

2. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Every reputable scholar will tell you what "well regulated" meant in the 18th century and it's not what libs think it does.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Correct. The phrase is stilled used today. A well-regulated piece of machinery does not mean government-regulated. It means it runs well. A well regulated militia means the citizenry is well armed.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

Even with just the word militia, it means "military force that is raised from the civil population to supplement a regular army in an emergency". Soo, aren't the arms stored at the civil population's property? But that doesn't mean there can be no laws against guns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

If it said “a militia being necessary” you might be right. It says “well regulated”. But hey, let’s keep doing nothing and see what changes.

6. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

"well regulated" = properly functioning in 18th century English. You have to take the definitions from the time of writing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

GOP looks to pick up seat here in Tx District 34. Used to be a safe Dem seat.
    Mayra Flores
    [​IMG]
    This is Cameron County but does show sentiment toward restrictive gun laws after Uvalde

• Like Like x 2
  8. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

I'm not following you since the Second Amendment says both "well regulated" and "being necessary." I already added in that doesn't mean there can be zero laws regarding guns. I said about 2-3 weeks ago that I liked having the minimum age to purchase semi-automatic rifles to be in the 20s. In fact, I described six different areas that need to change from entertainment and ratings to weapons to discipline for adolescents.

• Like Like x 2
  9. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

But we have well regulated state militias. Our private militias seem less than well regulated.

10. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It is baffling to me that gun control advocates still think "well-regulated" means a bunch of government rules and ignore the fact that this amendment was written in the wake of a revolution in which a government that didn't respect the rights of the people was overthrown largely by privately armed citizens.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
  11. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

So if we were discussing the power grid what would well-regulated imply?

12. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It depends on when the law was written.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

As an author of weak retorts, welcome to the club.

14. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Here is another one for your tornadic-blown mind to consider...

Regulations are only as good as the enforcement mechanisms which are used as intended. Plenty of oversight is written INTO regulations related to ERCOT but it was NOT being utilized. You cannot codify common sense, but you can tax citizens into oblivion by creating even more bureaucracy that will become even MORE ineffective...

15. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Welcome to the party!

16. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

If you're looking for daddy sassy retorts, go to Twitter. I'm giving the honest answer. We apply the law as it was written and at the time it was written.

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Applying that logic, then a well regulated militia would mean that everyone should get a free musket, some lead balls, and some powder. The weekly meetings for the militia should also be a requirement.

18. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Except that such was not enumerated in the writings...so, as usual, you seek to add limiters which were not addressed nor restricted by the original drafters.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

If that were true, then the amendment would have referred to muskets, not a general reference to "arms." You think it's about nitpicking and forcing an 18th century world on the country. It's not. It's about applying words as they meant at the time. "Arms" didn't mean muskets. It was a general term for weaponry.

Same applies to the 4th Amendment. In 1789, when people heard the term "search," they usually probably thought of home searches, but does that mean the 4th Amendment only applies to homes? No. It was meant to apply much more broadly.

And why do we insist on this? It's because it's the only way to actually have a rule of law.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Unregulated would be well regulated using both definitions for regulated. The market process does the best job delivering goods and services.

21. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Yes, but change that to M-16s and the appropriate ammunition. Now we are getting somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  22. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

How's that unregulated Texas grid doing?

23. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Hows that War on Poverty doing?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Since there ARE regulations, it is doing just fine.

Granted, it would be doing better if the feds would butt the hell out and let operators generate energy in the best manners possible instead of trying to mandate solar and wind boondoggles...

People like you continue to refuse to acknowledge that the failure during #Snowpocalypse was 1) an isolated event and 2) very easily attributed to the farce of virtual inspections which was permitted to occur due to the sniffles era that allowed people to avoid doing real labor.

Texas is NOT like the other States that have routine brown-outs (or worse) due to the failures of governmental policy. An outage in a metro area that comes because of a line doing down or varmits chewing through a line is NOT a grid-related failure. THOSE are things that fall to the local providers and are NOT within the purview of ERCOT...

Sadly, you and Beta BobFrank refuse to acknowledge reality and instead live in the nonsensical worlds you have created in your mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

With that reasoning, would the first amendment would 'require' weekly speech sessions and journalism meetings?

26. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

The Texas grid isn't unregulated. It is highly regulated by the state government. Lawyers set the prices for god's sake. I talked to one at a church function at random a couple of years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I don't know why I thought it was unregulated. I mean it is similar to our wild west gun culture.

28. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Not true. It say's ARMS. That's scalable.

29. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I'm talking about the words "well regulated" that everyone seems to ignore.

30. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Ok. Didn't read it close enough.

Where can I get my arms?

• Funny Funny x 2