Dec 20 NSD Thread

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Dionysus, Dec 20, 2017.

1. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

it's funny when a conversation between sunglasses people occur on here.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I detect a little envy over our shady hyper-coolness.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Apparently we were close to landing LB Bonito this week
    This is from IT

"Speaking of being close to signing, Nik Bonitto was basically in until he wasn't. The staff was dealt some bad luck on that one (can't go into that on-line). He's supposed to announce at the Under Armour game. This figures to be a UT/OU decision. Bonitto would figure in at B-backer."

4. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

my last accessory in my avatar was a "Texas Strong" cap so I'm abstaining from coolness for a while. #nojinx

• Like Like x 2
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Herman called Dele Adeoye --

“the best high school middle linebacker I’ve seen in a long, long time."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Bobby Brown did sign after all

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Herman says they do not anticipate receiving any more LOIs before the signing period ends tonight at midnight.

Thus, no early Ingram

9. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

He made it pretty clear he wants to sign with his teammates in February

10. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Puts the spotlight on Ojomo

11. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

Anyone know which articles or at least have a summary of content?

12. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Very disappointing despite the hook'em after the TD. He could have still been present for the group signing in February or by quietly just sending the LOI in after his game and asking Texas not to publicize it. Until he signs he is fair game and who knows what will be thrown at him by the $EC guys.

A lot of sleepless nights after the dead period then with every major school in the country intensifying their chase for him. I would expect Alabama, LSU and aggy to have permanent parking places in front of his house until the first Wednesday in February.

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

That clip there is pretty much what he said

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Overshown senior highlights
    You will like
    He is #6

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  15. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

**NOT TRYING TO START A FOR OR AGAINST STRONG ARGUMENT**

Remember how Charlie told his recruits NOT to sign early?
    He wanted them to take their trips and be sure about their decision.
    I think he still signed damn near everybody.
    I also enjoy the fact that right now Herman has almost everybody signed.
    And Strong didn't have this early signing available, so, he might have done it differently.
    Ingram will be here if he really wants to.
    If he enjoys the relationship he has with Herman and Texas offers what he needs then just keep recruiting him until he signs.
    If the $EC can lure him away then so be it.
    We don't need that type of character anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The rumor is that the reason Bonito did not sign with us early is because ou coaches sent him that Chip Brown attack piece to read.
    I cant say for certain if this is true or not, but I can say that was pretty ****** timing by Chip for that hit job

17. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Do you have a link to that article?

18. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Need to fire his ***.

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Paysite stuff, but several folks who would know say its true. Anwrar Richardson (OB) also more or less confirmed it as well. He is one of the ones who wrote that Bonito was about to sign with us until ou coaches showed him an article. There is also a post just above with a Herman quote where he more or less suggests the same Chip Brown stuff almost cost us Adeoye as well.

Any thread on the topic, they delete

I've covered Texas for 25 years and have never seen such an overreaction to anything like this. I explained everything yesterday - that what I wrote was in response to ALL the questions we'd gotten right here - from our community - about the attrition (so put two and two together on that) - and I said yesterday Texas would be poppin' bottles today. The party's going on and instead of enjoying the champagne room - there are some sitting in the corner, lighting themselves on fire with reasons to be miserable. Twitter. Facebook. No one cared. You know why? Because this coaching staff has been recruiting these kids for more than a year and have built a relationship - and recruits do a better job of the two plus two than fans who convince themselves of a 300-word international crisis or that Chip Brown has Harry Potter-like powers to make recruits disappear.
    --Chip

All of this comes on the heels of Chip's fake news story that Orlando interviewed for the head coach position at SMU. The timing of which was also suspect. They also published a story with quotes from some disgruntled parents. Then they published one about the Buecheles (basbell rumor) that they had to amend/partially retract. So, it looks like someone has an agenda. Seems like everyone in the media has an agenda these days.

ps -- for the record, Orlando said again today in Houston on the SMU "rumor': “I’ll set the record straight. There was no interview.”

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like they had a rough staff meeting over this

This is Holland --

We have discussed as a staff and feel like it would probably be best to separate our insider team and recruiting information. Therefore, there will no longer be recruiting content in The Eyes on Thursdays. Instead, Mike and I will run a new Monday morning feature called 'Bevo Nuggets.' The change will take place on Christmas as Mike and I will have plenty of recruiting scoop from our time at the state championships. I also encourage you to comment with any feedback on our recruiting coverage —what you like and what you want to see improved.​

21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Chip was forced to issue yet another statement. here is a snippet --

...... was unaware that Tom Herman, while talking about the No. 3 recruiting class in the country, made a comment about "internet" reporting about the team that had to be addressed with recruits.

Herman specifically said Todd Orlando had to do a great job in coaxing in Ayodele Adeoye because of it. And then - Jeff Howe - told me this morning, several of our members wanted me relocated to Planet Neverland. I've addressed this already, but I'll gladly address it again.

My report in the Eyes of Texas was a response to ALL the questions we'd gotten right here, from our Horns247 community, about the attrition that was occurring on this team, including four fifth-year senior offensive linemen who were choosing to walk away from college football before your ideal season as an offensive lineman (your fifth year, when you're at your biggest and strongest). Maybe I should have spelled it out more or phrased it differently in letting everyone know that the subject matter of the post mostly centered around attrition candidates.

Nonetheless, I make no apology for the content of the post - because it addressed exactly what was being asked of us to address regarding the attrition. And I'll go eyeball-to-eyeball with Tom Herman and anyone else about the content of that post. My sources are money. And I left out a ton I could've also reported. I had been gathering information for that post for a week. And we typically run The Eyes of Texas on Thursday, but it was decided we'd move it up to Tuesday this week, so it would not to get lost amongst signing day. So the timing is what proved to be the most unfortunate thing about all of this.

So apologies for the timing. It wasn't a hit piece. It was part of an insider notes package behind a pay wall - something that shouldn't be taken from here and posted on other boards. I apologized to my fellow Horns247 staffers, especially EJ Holland, for the timing as well. If you simply don't like me, I'm a big boy I can handle it. I've been loved and hated - hated and loved - for all of the 25 years I've been covering Texas. But don't take that out on the incredible staff here at Horns247.,,,,"

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Yet more Chip --

There were several layers to this, including a post of premium content being taken from this board and being posted elsewhere. But there's an apology for the rescheduling of the Eyes of Texas (to Tuesday). That's what this is really all about. The timing. And how is what we did harming the fan base? Because Tom Herman said so? Tom Herman also said Armanti Foreman didn't play for three games because he didn't practice well or didn't catch a pass again after a wicked TD vs Tech until the third quarter because of "natural rotation." Did you believe that?

Come on. If we're going to take Tom Herman's word on this, are we going to take Tom Herman's word on everything? Not trying to pick a fight. But come on. I like Tom. I knew him before he got to Texas. But come on - coach speak. Herman was pissed at me and took a shot at me last night. I can handle it. Not the first time. Won't be the last, I'm sure. It comes with this job. Just like a day like today comes with it. I'm happy to respond. I'll be here all day if we continue to have a civilized conversation. I love what I do. And I love doing it for Texas fans who appreciate someone willing to go dig out the good, the bad and the ugly.

I apologize again for the timing.

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is the part Chip was forced to delete from their site after the threat of lawsuit from the Buechele Family --

"According to sources, Buechele’s parents aren’t crazy about the way Herman is running the program - even thinking Shane would be better off playing baseball. According to sources, Steve Buechele has told other parents of players the way the coaches are coming down so hard on the players with everything from constantly having to pass hydration tests to cleaning the weight room at 4:30 am as punishment to eating burnt breakfasts for being on the losing team at practice, he doesn’t think players are enjoying the game they love - especially when the team is 6-6.

According to sources, Steve Buechele, a bench coach with the Texas Rangers, has told other parents UT coaches are running the program harder and with less feeling than the Rangers run spring training - adding the Rangers get paid, while UT football players don’t."

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

25. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Granted, CB is a first class jerk, but wouldn’t it be interesting if someone could actually separate fiction from fact? The story attributed to Steve Buechele and then retracted is truly interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

UT had a better year than the Rangers which doesn't say much for the Rangers...

27. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Who is worse, Chip Brown or Kirk Bohls?

28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

One is a hasbeen seeking validation of his existence.

The other is a neverwas wannabe, who seems to serve no useful purpose in life.

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
  29. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

Which is which? They seem to be interchangeable in this regard...

30. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Lot's of smoke. Here are some facts as I see them:

1) Players are leaving. Happened with Charlie too. Big time. But I don't know why they are leaving. There's a reason for each one obviously. I just think it's the natural result of change. Look at A&M losing some players or not getting a high percentage off their commits to sign like Texas did. You would have thought they all would have been doing cart-wheels over Fisher but some kids and their parents have emotional needs and attachments that defy what we all might believe to be obvious (that Fisher is a great coach; why would you not want a shot at that level of achievement).
    2) I have a 21 year old son; he complains about a lot less than 4:30 locker room clean-up and the other punishments. That's how kids can be these days. Maybe Herman needs to look at that.
    3) I never understand a story such as the one about Orlando interviewing with SMU. I mean, it's amazing that someone would just make something up out of thin air. If he did he should be fired from his job. Maybe feelers were put out and that was good enough for Chip. It's no surprise that a school would contact Orlando anyway. But a full-blown interview is on another level and would create a feeling of instability about the program especially with the Florida LB who supposedly has a tight relationship with Orlando (is that true?).
    4) The timing probably the biggest thing in all of this and I believe Chip did it for his own career advancement. He wanted to be a player in the recruiting process and his story had an impact as he knew it would. As they say, any publicity is good publicity and his name is all over the place now.

If I were Herman, the next time Chip asks a question I'd politely say, "Chip, your next story will have to be gleaned from the answers I give to the other reporters in this room."