Dec 20 NSD Thread

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Dionysus, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

That was about Waddle

2. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

247 Crystal Ball has Brown at 93% to Alabama. Now, don't get me wrong, it is nice to see him decommit from Aggy but I'm a bit tired of Texas players deciding to be such mercenaries for Saban.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Not that we need an OT or anything

Grandy has 3 years of eligibility

• Like Like x 8
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  4. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

To say that it has been a great day is an understatement, but this is a huge get!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Not a bad finish to the day
    LB Ayodele Adeoye and JUCO OL Mikey Grandy
    Both at positions of need.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  6. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

What does that make our haul today? 20?

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Grandy is 6’5,310 and a former MMA fighter
    Here is the IT profile

Excerpt from the Recruiting Notebook:
    How he fits at Texas: MMA Mike plays LT at the JUCO level but he’s an interior guy at Texas. He’s big and mean inside and pretty good at latching on to guys, climbing up, and finishing blocks. As a guard he’d probably be solid turning the corner as a puller or getting displacement on straight ahead runs but I wonder if his fighting background and size might make him an even better project at center. Being able to snap the ball and then control a DL without help is one of the biggest boosts an OL can bring to a run game and Texas needs immediate help at that position. – IB

Coach Says: Strengths – Good size and weight for tackle and won’t need to put on more weight. Has broad shoulders with thick base. Midsection is reasonably toned vs fat. Stance is reasonably compact. Appears good in tight spaces and “drives the bus” consistently when engaged. Gets to second level reasonably well. Drives low in run blocks and has strong, reasonably quick hands and good placement. Consistently finishes smaller defenders and plays beyond the whistle. Appears to have benefitted from JUCO as that film looks improved over HS film. Better run vs pass blocker. Understands leverage. Understands how to mirror the pass rusher. Establishes a good anchor vs bull rush. Looks like he could play now. Did not enroll at SJSU out of high school. May have extra year of eligibility. Rumored to have taken year between HS and JUCO to fight MMA but cannot confirm. Defensive HS film reinforces the short area quickness. Areas of Concern – Arm length is average. Feet are average in agility and speed. Not as agile in space as he is in short area. May struggle vs speed rush or top end rushers. Inconsistent knee/hip bend. Tends to get hands outside of defenders he cannot dominate.

http://insidetexas.com/grandy-chooses-texas/

• Like Like x 4
  8. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

INDEED!

• Like Like x 3
  9. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  11. LonghornCatholic

• Like Like x 2
  12. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Adding Grandy is possibly the most important signing given the fact that even Herman expressed concern this afternoon about having only nine lineman and his desire that they needed to be 2-deep.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like we will have 8 enrolling in January --

LB Ayodele Adeoye
    CB Anthony Cook
    WR Brennan Eagles
    S BJ Foster
    OT Mikey Grandy
    QB Cam Rising
    S Caden Sterns
    QB Casey Thompson

• Like Like x 3
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  15. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Cook is the catch, but these two made my day.

16. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Keondre Coburn?? When will he sign?

17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

It will be Waffle until he signs.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Of the January enrollees, we'll probably have two opening day starters and 5 kids on the two deep... Most of 'em will be all conference contenders by this time 2020.

19. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

We now have 4 o-linemen locked up. It wouldn't hurt to get another but we really need some d-linemen as well.

20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

We need the RB and the DT who are currently committed (which makes 25). Then 2-4 more OL/DL.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Potential Rondale Moore replacement
    We will try and get him to OV in January

Was on my list from earlier of potential alternates

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  22. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I see ESPN has not updated their rankings since 5 pm CST.

23. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Another receiver would be nice since only one made it to campus last year.

My wishes, in order
    1. Coburn,
    2. Ingram
    3. Waddell or similar/shifty slot type receiver.
    With 3OTs coming in, I see no need to reach for OL, but if there is an overlooked gem for the interior line, it would suit me.
    Would also like to see a rush LB or WDE join the mix here.

24. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

He just looks like a badass!

• Like Like x 3
  25. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

if they could pull a couple of DLs on top of our unsigned verbals, i'd be fine.

26. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

I approve this message :)

• Like Like x 5
  27. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

I don't think it looks good for Coburn. He will not sign in the early period as of right now. Herman seemed to say if any of our verbals don't sign in the early period, we are moving on.

I took it it does not look good for Coburn. Hope I am wrong. We really need DL's.

28. LonghornCatholic

29. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

30. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Heard Randy Rogers this morning on B&E; a few notes:

1) Ingram (the running back) will most likely sign after the game today. He said Ingram probably has that LOI in his back pocket
    2) Moore played tight-end and not tackle in high school and is two years off at least though he is a tremendous athlete.
    3) Coburn might be about attention; liking the process.
    4) He thought Caden Sterns was the best player in the state this year.
    5) Figures Herman will look in on Bobby Brown (no mention of him being an Alabama lean now) and an offensive lineman who had committed but did not sign with LSU.

If you think about it, the players that did not sign now will be the "last chance for romance" at closing time and will probably get lots of attention from all the coaches. Also, all the coaches will now get a jump on the 2019 class (watching film).

• Like Like x 1