Defense Played Much Better Today

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by havoc7701, Nov 3, 2012.

1. havoc7701

havoc7701 Sponsor and Aggy Ridiculer

Obviously a big factor in today's win against the Red Faders. I saw better tackling, wrap-up and limiting explosive offensive plays. There's still a lot of room for improvement, missed tackles but good job by D overall.

Byndom played lights-out though Ward did get some big completions on him.

2. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Tech probably could have run through the middle more. Our DTs seemed a bit overmanned on all of those trap plays.

But overall the D did step up, especially the CBs and backup DEs.

3. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

defense was better today. toughness better. Congrats Horns.

4. pflugervillehorn

pflugervillehorn 25+ Posts

Notice Cobbs was not playing very much, not many risky blitzes and magically our defense is OK. Not great just OK.

Seriously thanks for for the effort, looking better!! [​IMG]

5. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I don’t think any of their running backs had a career day today.

Good performance by the Horns. I thought Tech might just dink-dunk us all day.

6. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

I think it was a good performance considering it was tech and they have a great O (I think doege is one of their better ones). Classic bend but don't break. Was not great, but that would've been difficult against them.

7. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

My hat is off to the D this week. They played more inspired ball today and it showed. Good win, and in Lubbock too. [​IMG]

8. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Steve had some very solid tackles
    I felt Jenkins and Santos stepped in very well when called upon and the few plays Dukes was in for Carrington, he made one really good stop.
    Phillips also had a form tackle in the open field to stop a drive.

9. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

I think it was all about synergy and focusness.

10. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

It was nice to see a lot of those young guys in at critical situations and actually playing well and contributing! People don't like the "young team" thing, but we played what... four true freshmen on defense toward the end?

11. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

many people do not realize or refuse to acknowledge that this defense is still very young. last time I looked there were 4 or 5 true frosh listed as primary back-ups.

12. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I liked the way the D simplified things a bit. Less finesse and blitzes, and more straight up toughness.

TTU's leading rusher only had 80 yds. I can live with that.

13. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I liked the way the D simplified things a bit. Less finesse and blitzes, and more straight up toughness.

TTU's leading rusher only had 80 yds. I can live with that. [​IMG]

14. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

I think 17 Phillips doesn't belong on the field. He is always lost, avoids contact at all costs

15. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Horns forever, Phillips was 3rd in tackles today with 5 solo. One that sticks out to me was a 3rd down tackle in open field.
    I didn't know who it was at the time, but when he made it I exclaimed in a manner that sent my dogs out of the room , "that's a form :#%>|<> tackle," and it was Phillips.
    This pleased me.
    I was always amazed at how a few questioned Gideon,,,who was a four year starter, all Big 12 and now a pro. The safety position is prone to the spotlight on missed tackles/being burned even though a cb might have blown the coverage.

16. Texaholic

Texaholic 250+ Posts

Defense definitely appeared to be more sound in several aspects of what happened on the field.

I think the dynamic surrounding the rescinded personal foul call on Doege at the Texas sideline was indicative of the passion and urgency felt by the coaching staff. Seemed like Akina had dropped his gloves and was ready to rumble.

On one hand, I appreciate the need for self-restraint. On the other hand, I love to see the fiery competitiveness on the Longhorn sideline.

Congratulations to the team and the coaching staff for a very meaningful win!

[​IMG]

17. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Either hornsforever didn't watch the game, or he doesn't understand the definition of "always" or "at all costs".

Phillips has struggled this year at times for sure, but he made some plays yesterday, and may have had his best game of the year. Same with Byndum. At some point, those posts just start sounding like talking points that get spit out on command with no context.

18. havoc7701

havoc7701 Sponsor and Aggy Ridiculer

19. L.A.Longhorn

L.A.Longhorn 250+ Posts

20. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

Prodigal Im sick of your condescending posts. I have my opinion you have yours. So deal with it you pompous a--

21. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

The defense played better Saturday than they have all season, mostly because they played with a sense of urgency. That being said, they still gave up way too much yardage. If Tech played UT Saturday like they played West Virginia, the Raiders would have won. Still, a win is a win, and there were some positives in the game, including some good defense. I don't expect great defense out of the Horns any longer, but I'll settle for sometimes good.