Defensive Blueprint?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by dukesteer, Jan 6, 2019.

1. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

For those of you who didn’t watch the Charges game today, Tony Romo was raving about their scheme to stop Baltimore’s ground game. He noted that apparently like Cleveland the prior week, San Diego (to me they’re still the San Diego Chargers) positioned three “safeties” at the second level. The scheme worked to perfection and the safeties weren’t missing any tackles. They completely shut down the Raven’s running attack. Of course, San Diego also possesses other dominant players like Bosa and Ingram.

With Texas’ secondary depth and talent like Sterns, Foster and Jones, I have to wonder if the same scheme might work well for us in games like LSU next fall.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Do the Ravens have elite WR talent? I just wonder how that scheme would work in that case or if it accounts for that.

3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The key really isn't how many you have back - it is how many do you need to get a decent pass rush. If you can get one with 3 or 4 and no blitz you can cover a lot of territory and cover-up a lot of DB mistakes because you have 7 or 8 back.

4. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Whatever we did in the Sugar Bowl to stop Georgia's vaunted running attack.