Delta SkyMiles for International?

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by feltpen, Jan 25, 2007.

1. feltpen

feltpen 25+ Posts

I have about 200,000 Delta SkyMiles....can I use them to go from Austin to London Heathrow? From the website, it looks like I can only use SkyMiles for domestic flights.

Thanks!

2. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Yes, enter in your skymiles and pen. You should see the link.

3. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

You should be able to do it by burning only 100,000 miles. If you can't seem to pull it off via their web site, call the airline. Yes, you'll have to pay a bit of a fee for talking to a live person, if they book the tickets, but they may find something that the computer doesn't see.

4. bigup2dahorns

bigup2dahorns 250+ Posts

it does seem hard to find availability on delta using skymiles but hopefully you can do it

5. iamtigerwoods

iamtigerwoods 500+ Posts

Use those miles to go to Asia and fly on Singapore Airlines. We did it to fly to Bangkok last year and it was definitely the way to go..

6. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Also, flight to LHR can usually be had relatively cheaply. You are probably best served buying tickets to Heathrow and saving those miles for something better.

Ex: We bought tickets to London for our last trip... the fare was $500 and change into Gatwick. We used 100,000 miles to buy two tickets to Athens in the summer since fares are running $1300+ per ticket (!!!)

7. HornInDub

HornInDub 100+ Posts

8. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

That's not a CD drive, that's a cup holder.

9. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

In the upper lefthand corner on the main page, delta.com, there is a login which requires you to enter your skymiles number and PIN.

10. bigg78

bigg78 25+ Posts

I would advise calling Delta and asking if you could fly a partner airline for half of the miles Delta charges you. here's what I did for my honeymoon (we're flying Orlando - Athens, and then Rome - Orlando)

Delta wanted to charge me 100,000 miles for each coach ticket. So I called the Delta skymiles people and had them search around. The lady was able to put me on an Air France flight both ways for 50,000 miles each !

11. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Redemption points for different airlines are found at Award & Upgrade Mileage Charts.

12. wolfman

wolfman 1,000+ Posts

Just call Delta and ask for the Skymiles dept. I turned in some miles for international travel with Delta a couple of years ago. I think that coach was 50,000 miles and Business was around 80,000. The only problem with using Delta miles is that they have limited seats on each flight for use with rewards customers. You sometimes have to book a little in advance to get what you want.

13. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Call Skymiles and ask for the cheapest coach ticket that is upgradeable. Use your points to upgrade.

Also, to get to LHR on Delta you have to fly Air France to Paris then onto LHR. All Delta flights go to Gatwick.

14. BigXIIHorns

BigXIIHorns 25+ Posts

In 2004 I used delta miles to get to London. I was originally booked on Virgin through Orlando. Big problem as a hurricane was going to cancel my flight. Delta told me I could nt change as the flight had not been cancelled....yet. I went to the Delta office in Plano and for $50 got the flight changed to go through Cincinatti. Good thing to because the original flight was cancelled. Going to a ticket office works great when you need something extra.