DeMeco Ryans traded to the Eagles

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by dheiman, Mar 21, 2012.

1. dheiman

dheiman 1,000+ Posts

LINKY

My first thought was "what we're they thinking" but it actually looks like a good trade. The Texans are desperate for cap room to resign Arian Foster among others and they get some picks including a better 3rd rounder. While certainly not a HUGE gain for Houston this may very well turn out to be a positive move for the franchise.

Now go sign some free agent longhorns!! [​IMG]

2. 2feathers

2feathers 250+ Posts

3. dheiman

dheiman 1,000+ Posts

Yup, fixed it.

4. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Just the reality of the NFL business. You can't resign all of your top guys when you are a good team. They have lost Williams and Ryans now this offseason but they will save a ton of $ on their contracts. And both of those guys were limited due to injuries in at least 1 of the last 2 seasons so they have been able to be a good team without them on the field.

5. Zona Horn

Zona Horn 500+ Posts

I get why they would trade or release him after next season, when his salary cap hit will become huge ($7-9M per year) and they will need that space to re-sign barwin, Schaub and Brown. He simply isn't worth that much in a 3-4 system, especially having lost a step after his schilles rupture.

That said, I don;t get why they did it now. This actually hits them with $2M of "dead money" against the cap this year. The team would obviously be better with him for another year, so why do it now?

6. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

Never heard of him.

7. 3nnsang

3nnsang 100+ Posts

I don't totally get it either . Just hoping that Smith and McNair have a plan in place ... and I have faith that they do ... would hate for them to take a few steps backwards and fall into the same level as the Cowgirls ...

8. Trusted Insider

Trusted Insider 1,000+ Posts