Dennis: A History

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by kablooey, Jul 15, 2003.

1. texaus

texaus 100+ Posts

played them decent in '01?

NCAA FOOTBALL SCOREBOARD: Box Score
    Recap | Box Score | This Week's Scoreboard
    Oklahoma 31, Texas A&M 10
    Posted: Saturday November 10, 2001 05:46 PM ET 1 2 3 4 TOTAL
    Texas A&M 10 0 0 0 10
    (3) Oklahoma 0 10 7 14 31 FINAL

Team Stats
    Texas A&m Oklahoma
    First downs 5 23
    Rushed-yards 27-74 43-157
    Passing yards 58 195
    Sacked-yards lost 1-4 3-23
    Return yards 30 35
    Passes 11-23-0 25-38-1
    Punts 10-44.0 7-43.4
    Fumbles-lost 1-0 0-0
    Penalties-yards 3-38 4-40
    Time of possession 27:38 32:22

then there was you previous visit to Norman- 51-6. do you not think Stoops and Co. will be out for payback for that montrosity of a game last year?

2. AllAg

AllAg < 25 Posts

17-10 heading into the 4th on the road I call playing decent....

As far as payback, you mean like they did to OkSt. last year?

3. texaus

texaus 100+ Posts

you guys fall into this trap of using one or two games here and there to try and make your point. it's just not very solid logic.

4. hollisdude

hollisdude 500+ Posts

AllAg - not a realistic chance of beating Texas this year. The bloom is off the rose for Kyle right now. Used to be unthinkable to win there - and now the cherry has really been busted, especially last year. I think Texas has too much at the key positions to lose this year.

Going to OU? wrong year, wrong time, wrong place. I don't even look forward to playing them in Dallas. I think their defense is absolutely loaded and they're taught to kill. Your defense is absolutely unloaded and untested and OU owes you. Stoops will want to make sure Fran understands who is the man.

@Nebraska - a real chance because their fans and their atmosphere is not one that will frighten Reggie into semi-spirals. Is it a night game? If so, even better for your chances since the Ags play better at night on the road and the Bugeaters are more mellow. Plus, Solich is the worst coach in the BIg 12 bar none.

@VT - I just don't think so. Too early for everything to jell, too far away from home for comfort, too much to ask for your younguns to play with one of the best in the East. This one won't be close.

5. AllAg

AllAg < 25 Posts

hollis- re Kyle I think you're right, except in HUGE games, which obviously you are. I really think it's going to be a great game this year. And you're right about Ags at night- always seem to play better.

texaus- yeah, i was kinda using OkSt. a little humorously. I was expecting a huge payback to them last year and was stunned when they pulled it off again.

6. hollisdude

hollisdude 500+ Posts

AllAg - I think Texas is going to have way more on the line to win on T+1 than the Ags are. Wanting to ruin UT's season won't be enough. If your Dline and LBs are not matured and healthy on T+1, then it is going to be a long day of conservative keep-away ala 2001. Honestly, you don't have one guy that can stay with Roy W. It may be close again, but I use the head not the heart hoping.

7. AllAg

AllAg < 25 Posts

You're not REALLY asking me to use my HEAD are you????[​IMG]

8. aggierogue

aggierogue < 25 Posts

9. texaus

texaus 100+ Posts

pretty fair response. i disagree on a few, but we'll know in a few months.

"Texaus, just wanted to respond...

Pittsburgh.

We beat them away last year and though they return Rutherford and Fitzgerald, they will be playing in Kyle. Chances are we will be coming off a loss in Blacksburg and looking to redeem ourselves. Depending how we play the Hoakies, I think we'll be favored in this one. This game will come down to McNeal and Rutherford. I think we win this game due to a strong showing by our offense."

you forgot to mention RB Miree. if you're unfamiliar w/ him, he is very good. Pitt had you on your heels last year and probably should have won. woulda, shoulda though. aside from blowing a home game to West Virginia, they were tough in the last 2/3 of the season. put your dukes up b/c they will be ready.

"@Tech.

I know these guys have had our number the last few years, but, dare I say, I think this year will be different. Here's why: They no longer have Kingsbury and their defense is decimated. They are starting five freshmen on their front seven. No more all big 12 Aaron Hunt and no more Lawrence Flugence. Now if I am wrong, this game will at least be very close."

you guys just have to prove this one. you're more talented than they are. you have been the last eight years. once or twice is an accident. there is history here though. i don't have to tell you that Lubbock is like the Bermuda Triangle. prove us wrong. they lost some players, but their talent is very comperable to yours right now. prove us wrong. this one may make or break your season.

"Okie State

Texaus, you say this is the only game we will be favored. Not sure I agree with that, but I can tell you that I am damn glad that we get them at home this year. Either one of these teams could be real hot or cold at this point in the year. Should be interesting but winnable."

OK ST is a landmine for eveyone in the Big 12. they beat you guys last year. they damn near beat us at home. they completely controlled OU. this is a dangerous team. you have the home-field advantage, which should help. very dangerous team though. i think alot will determine on how both teams are by midseason. if they beat NE and KSU, look out.

" @Mizzou

This game is a big question mark. Will Brad Smith have another year like the last one? They are replacing all of their receivers and I have a hard time believing that they have more talent across the board than we do. But I felt that way last year and they did beat us at Kyle, so they should be a formidable opponent. Should be competitive."

i think a little more of Mizzou than you do. i think they'll be good. like OK ST and you guys, alot may depend on how the season goes. if they have an eye on the Cotton or Holliday at this point and you guys are looking at becomming Bowl eligible, i give them the clear edge. in Columbia(you guys haven't been good on the road). tough game.

" @Nebraska

This game is winnable. I almost put this game in the "competitive list". Nebraska is in the worst shape I have ever seen them in since I have been watching college football. Though Lincoln is a tough place to play, we should be able to make this a game. Last year I believe we gave up a 14 point late 3rd quarter lead. This game is not a definite loss and could very well be an upset."

they are not nearly what they were. the talent b/w the two teams(aTm/NE) is comperable. in Lincoln. they seldom lose there. i have to say edge Nebraska.

" Texas

The only way I see us beating you guys is if this is a scoring contest. Playing at home almost always guarantees this game to be close. The last time the Horns visited Kyle, it was a 14-7 game more than halfway through the fourth quarter. Williams was held in check and Benson had I believe sixty something yards on the ground. Our defense will have to mature and our offense will have to bring their A game to make it fun. Should be closer than you guys think, but still, unless our defense evolves into wrecking crew form, Mack should have bragging rights in December."

TX should win by via the better team. until recently this game was usually a fight. TX has the better team. i think we agree on that. i've also watched the less talented team win this game many times(moreso TX upseting aTm). another ***-kicking or a tight one? many factors.

if i'm wrong, this season is going to be very interesting for both of us. good response btw.

10. dollylama

dollylama 25+ Posts

At the risk of resurrecting a thread gone stale , I'm going to answer a question posed by my friend Hollis.

(I got stuck in a 24 hour time out for calling one of your compadres something I shouldn't have.)

10 wins seems like a lot at this point in Aggie football. This ain't the old SWC. You talk about getting to consistent 10 year seasons within 3 years. I think if Fran gets one 10-win season within 4 years, he'll have earned himself some breathing room. We're not quite as quick with the hook as yall. Look how long it took us to get rid of RC.

I was a senior in '93 and even though we owned yall and the SWC, my friends and I were calling for his head back then - we knew he could never win the big game when it mattered. But the old Ags gave him a lot of credit for beating Texas and I think we'll all do the same for Fran if he can take Kyle Field back. Of course, as soon as yall win an NC, the bar will have been raised again.

Hope that answers your question.

Lama

11. thirtyand0

thirtyand0 < 25 Posts

it's better to be on the losing end of a series.
    Again, any brief success the farmers enjoyed was a result of prolonged bending of the rules begun by that A$M icon Jackie Sherrill. Who I might add is still held in high regard by most of you losers.

12. hollisdude

hollisdude 500+ Posts

Lama - here's the real question: What did you give Carl for his effort on "looping" for you? You're banned if you don't know this answer. Quiet audience!

13. Ronnie

Ronnie < 25 Posts

14. uvasooner

uvasooner First Time Poster

Just wanted to point out something that, for me, is an argument stopper as to whether Dennis is a good coach:

Dennis lost to John Blake.

15. texaus

texaus 100+ Posts

john Blake was a BAD coach. he recruited very well and set the table nicely for Stoops though.

Ronnie- why are you even commenting? do you even remember some of your predictions at this time last year?

16. kablooey

kablooey 25+ Posts

UVA

Don't forget those losses to Rice, SMU and San Jose State!

17. Ronnie

Ronnie < 25 Posts

In reply to:

18. 88aero

88aero 250+ Posts

Sorry, can't help myself...

16-16 in last 32 years. If we examine the period and realize that the cheating years ('84-'93) are over, and the good recruiting ('84-'96) period is too, the 70% win rate for Texas has returned since the cheating (and it's winning/residual good recruiting effects) got stopped.

Ags are toast.

...in many more sports than football, too.

19. texaus

texaus 100+ Posts

defending it w/ a single win over Air Force sounds nearly as bad as the original statement. then again, i would probably do the same thing after reading a misleading statistic. it's the same as your fans "Mack can't coach and the proof of it is in that he's never won a conference championship."

20. Ronnie

Ronnie < 25 Posts

Good point texaus. We all know Mack has won a Big 12 South Championship.

21. AllAg

AllAg < 25 Posts

MB has won plenty of conference championships- for the Sooners! [​IMG]

22. texaus

texaus 100+ Posts

Mack Brown has kicked your ***, got your coach fired, and has your program as talent stricken as it has been in nearly two decades. after leeting off the gas and leaving it at half-a-hundered, i don't know that aTm fans are the ones who should be talking **** about him.

i still get a chuckle remembering how RC was supposedly SO much better than Mack Brown. again Ronnie, do i even need to bring up your ridiculous comments and predictions from last year? i remember you just brimming w/ confidence after the Pitt game. then you vanished after Tech. this is the best time of the year for you. you get to pretend you don't suck. then the season starts, and we know what happens after that.

23. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

I'm amazed at how aggy celebrates the fact that their glory years occurred during the darkest days of the SWC. Poooor aggy.

24. Huckleberry

Huckleberry 1,000+ Posts

25. TexasDan

TexasDan 100+ Posts

*Punt*

Kablooey's Nostradamus like post of Fran's potential and results.

We all had hope of aggy meltdown but, Kablooey just rips his record to shreds and backs it up. Now it all comes to fruition.

Good job Kablooey. [​IMG]

• Hot Hot x 1
  26. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I'd like to see the stats on this original post updated to reflect these past two seasons! Kablooey had Fran all figured out.... Makes great reading now.

27. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

just wanted to have the first post in 2 years.....

oh and aggy....aren't you embarassed now about all of those stupid things you said about mack? WHOOOOPS!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

28. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

I'm hungry. I sure could go for a burrito.

29. Hes not here

Hes not here 100+ Posts

The retard aggy on this thread are awesome

30. Superfan

Superfan 250+ Posts