Depth Chart

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by HTownBevo, Aug 31, 2020.

1. HTownBevo

HTownBevo 250+ Posts

Has one been posted? Or any conjecture on what it may look like?

2. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Saw one a day or two ago. I'll look for it...unless Joe beats me to it.
    Until then...here's an update on the RBs.
    Piece states all 3 backs will split time and that RJ is viewed as best RB in room right now
    Tom Herman says Texas doesn’t have a starter at RB

3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The one depth chart I saw was early spring practice.

4. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

That translates to Robinson is NOT a true 5* BEAST. Its not like we had any elite D1 RBs playing last year. We were average to maybe above average....Yet a #1 so called can't miss 5* isn't #1 ? I was hoping we had found an Adrian Peterson type monster RB...

• poop poop x 1
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  5. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Please relax. Geez dude.
    This means nothing, UT finally has three top quality backs, it doesn’t mean Herman doesn’t have a good back.
    Come on man.

We’ve got three guys that we feel like we can win with, and they’re all gonna play,” Herman said.

Let’s see, was Ricky or Earl named the starter before ther first game?

I’ve seen you post this before, you have the right to your opinion... but this is one of the worst analysis that you keep copying and pasting. As my London friend would say Rubbish.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Mine would say that's bloody crazy. :popcorn:

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I would imagine Robinson, like Earl & Ricky the first 2-3 weeks of camp, is still learning a new & big playbook, adjusting to the speed of the D-1 game and taking his turn carrying the ball.

I think it hard to go 5* full beast mode and make your competition look bad in that scenario.

Let's give BR the benefit of the doubt and a little time before we pass final judgement on him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. RainH2burntO

By all reports, BJ is looking like the real deal. No matter how good he is-the way TH recruits - there is no way he is going to give BJ the start over Ingram - who is on quite a few watch lists and was promised ample playing time- and RJ - who has been the epitome of selfless...not to mention effective.
    If he plays at all early in the season ...and he will...it will tell you everything you need to know, and I am sure once you see him you will be a believer...if that is even possible.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

The Texas run game was strange in 2019. On paper it had good results - a 950 yard rusher, a ~ 600 yard rusher, and a QB with 500 or so yards. YPC for the RB's was over 5. Yet it seemed anyway, for what it's worth, that Texas could not get 2 yards via the ground when they needed it.

I remember the OSU game - Texas had the lead, needed to kill some clock, got 7-8 yards on first down, then stuffed RB on 2nd down. 3rd and 2 or so, and everyone knew what was going to happen - QB run, which was the case, for zero yards and a punt I believe.

Without a deep dive into the stats, I'm not sure why it looked so good on the stats but didn't seem as effective for results - 5 losses tells you something isn't fully effective despite what was a horrid defense last year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

^^^^ I remember that series of plays vs. okie lite last season. Part of the problem with the O at times last year was poor play calling and predictability. Teams scouted the Horns enough to know what high probability play(s) we would likely run on 3 down and short, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Don't recall camp during Ricky and Earl, but I bet aside from a few minor blitz pick ups, they were first string beasts from day one. This is a few practices from game day, and BR should be head of the class by now. Its not like he has Swift, Taylor, Dobbins, etc in the room with him.

• poop poop x 1
  12. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Ricky wouldn't have been playing as much if Priest Holmes wasn't hurt in 1995. Shon Mitchell was the guy they had invested a lot of time and energy into "waiting" for. Ricky was just icing on the cake and happened to come in when Mackovic realized we couldn't keep him off the field.

I think you'll see similar reasoning behind how we use Robinson, albeit we're not running out of the proset or I-formation any longer. He'll be used in pass plays and zone running... nothing like what Ricky or Earl did. And anyone who thinks that Ingram and Johnson aren't good enough to also tote the ball didn't watch their better performances from last season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. RainH2burntO

And I believe we will see improved oline play this season, so.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. RainH2burntO

I agree....and it wasnt just last year....We have struggled in that^^^^regard for a few years now. I first noticed it in the home loss to Maryland and have seen it all-too frequently since. So....what, 3 years now??

15. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I remember the same thing. Herman was in his 3-yards-in-a-cloud-of-dust mind frame.
    I'm hoping that Yurcich will be more creative and unpredictable. He has the weapons.
    I understand the concept of having a big strong QB running the ball with an extra blocker but that works better when it's unpredictable.

16. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I’m still shaking my head wildly as if I was a teenager on ecstasy at a rage party and by the way I’m not a teenager I’ve never taken ecstasy and I’ve never been to a rage party but I digress, how the hell can anybody say that BR isn’t high quality?
    Geez look at him in the videos and practice good God he looks like a pro football player and I’m not trying to say he’s going to be Earl or Ricky or Adrian Peterson but just a few weeks into camp and we’ve already got the doom and gloom crew showing up good God man
    Earl as a FR- As a freshman in 1974, he played in all 11 games and rushed for 928 yards and six touchdowns on 162 attempts. I reckon Earl was good, but certainly he wasn’t “a Beast” either. I looked in ‘74 he wasn’t listed on the Top 20 rushing yard RBs, I’m not waste any more time by looking up Ricky’s to prove my point but I seriously doubt he is in that class either
    Dude, please tell me you are an Aggie troll here just trying to have fun or you literally are from Aberjazen and just became interested in football.

Last year, toward the end of the season, one here claimed that “Herman” had Ellinger as the starter only because Ellinger was from Texas.
    That ranks as #1 in my book, stating BR is a disappointment after a couple of weeks in camp is now ranked #2 on my list of “WTH, gotta be an trolling here”
    watchlist.
    2a Was the thread some genius started here stating VY should be moved to TE going into his Jr. Year.
    I really enjoy the difference of opinions here, but I don’t classify those three differences opinions.. I classify those as total jackassery.

• Like Like x 1
  17. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Can we have the option for two poops?

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Was at that game about on the 10 yard line, Ingram was so close I could’ve shook his hand, I remember him breaking free putting a Juke and spin move ... on his way to the end zone, I think it was on the way to the end zone ..but it was really close if he didn’t score..That is etched in my mind is one of the coolest runs I’ve ever seen in person