Derrick Williams not UT worthy

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by 2222Horn, Mar 25, 2011.

1. 2222Horn

2222Horn 100+ Posts

Where's the genius in one of the prior threads that said that none of the Arizona guys were good enough to crack the top 6 (or 7) in the Texas rotation?

Of course, we know that the reigning Pac-10 Player of the Year isn't good enough to play at Texas.

We also know that a coach shouldn't lose to a team with inferior talent ever. Well imagine losing to that inferior team not only by one point but by 16 pts after having a 12 pt lead.

In addition, that same coach underperforms to his seeding around 80% of the time.

And, of course, any coach that allows 60% 3 pt shooting must not know anything about perimeter defense-there's no way the other side actually can get "hot".

We all agree that making the NCAA tournament is nothing and that an Elite 8 appearance every year is the minimum standard for a "basketball" school (and let's say a Sweet 16 every year for a "football" school).

Yep, Duke should get ride of Coach K for not being good enough too (I kid you not, Duke Basketballreport is down tonight to prevent posting)

--sarcasm from a Duke/Texas alum about idiot bball "fans" (and yes, I'm in Anaheim on the assumption that either Duke or Texas would be in Elite 8 and it hurts)

2. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Yeh I rememnber specifically over the past week that Duke and Coach K were mentioned as rarely underachieving and making the most of their talent. They go down 2 rounds before where their talent should take them and they lose much worse than Texas does to the same team Texas played.

Texas got a bad seed and a tough, tough road in the tournament. Got some bad calls down the road and Arizona took advantage.

3. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I don't care enough to go look it up, but I think he said that only one Arizona player could crack the top 6 or 7 of UT.

That guy will crack the top 6 or 7 of an NBA team.

4. Aces_Full

Aces_Full 500+ Posts

Duke getting beat does not validate Texas' loss to Zona at all. There is still no excuse for not closing out that Arizona game for Texas. Hopefully our returning players will learn from it and getter better because of it.

5. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

So all of a sudden Rick Barnes knows how to coach offense? Is that right?

6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Nope. That's not it.

All of a sudden it looks really ******* stupid to have openly speculated that Rick Barnes isn't good enough to coach at UT after a 1 point loss to Arizona.

Those who simply noted that Barnes' strength does not lie on the offensive end of the court are a different matter altogether.

7. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

D Williams should be the first player taken in the draft at this point. He reminds me of a Griffin / Beasley typle player. He is tough inside, can shot outside and make free throws. This is why TT needs to come back. This is the type of talent that TT can become with much more work.

8. busterbrown16

busterbrown16 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, that was me and I said that Williams was the only player that would crack the top 6 or 7 at Texas. With last night's performance, he would probably crack the top 1, but I never said where in the top 6 or 7 he would fall. And I still stand by the comment. No one else on that team impresses me.

Texas missed a golden oppurtunity to beat a very beatable Duke team.

9. Hornin' In

Hornin' In 25+ Posts

If it makes any of you feel better, I have called Rick Barnes' coaching insufficient well before the Arizona game. One game does not verify a pattern for either Coach Barnes or Coach K. I think each of these coaches have a proven track record. Coach K's just happens to be incomparable to that of Coach Barnes'.

Excuse me, I had to go throw up a little for mentioning both of those gentlemen in the same sentence.

Anyone who has watched collegiate basketball knows that you aren't always going to win when you should, nor always lose games that you should. The PATTERN is what is important, and I think the pattern for both is pretty well identified.

Finally, I have said it before. Coach Barnes is a good coach. Just not a great coach. Great coaches win championships. And in collegiate BBall, that requires winning tournaments, something Coach Barnes is clearly deficient in.

10. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

But... but... he won the Big East tourney in 1994. How dare you sir!

btw, Barnes and Coach K make the same salary.

11. Hornin' In

Hornin' In 25+ Posts

Given that they make the same salary, I have to say that although Coach K is a better coach, Barnes is clearly way smarter financially! [​IMG]

12. UTAustin92

UTAustin92 250+ Posts

or from the school's perspective...Duke has a better return on investment.

13. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

Saw Arizona play a few times this year and I thought Texas and Arizona were about the same team except Arizona shot much better from 3 point range. Thompson will never be like Derrick Williams because Williams hit over 60 percent of his 3 pointers, I cannot see Thompson developing that range and shooting from that distance.