Destiny in Transfer Portal

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Mar 28, 2019.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Reported that Destiny has added her name to the transfer portal...

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  2. cactus47

cactus47 25+ Posts

Not a good look that all 3 members of her recruiting class have left or seek to leave the program.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I figured this was coming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Well.....so much for that fabulous 2017 recruiting class ranked #3 in the nation, right??? EVERY SINGLE one of them are GONE. Hoopgurlz ranked Boothe #3, Patterson #4, and Littleton #33. ALL OF THEM played in the McDonald's All American game and Jordan Brand Classic.... Of course, as so many self-appointed experts on here have explained, none of that means anything......:rolleyes1:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • poop poop x 2
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  5. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Exactly... :smh:

6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Does entering the portal mean she’s closed the door on staying? No but I’d be surprised if she were to return.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I don't like to comment on the players' abilities, but I will say I can't imagine why she would even consider playing another year for KA given her "reasoning" behind the starting lineups and doling out playing time.

Another mishandled HS All-American.... oh yeah I almost forgot those accolades mean nothing. :rolleyes1: Well, if KA is in fact changing her "strategy" regarding the types of players she wants to coach, she's doing a damn good job of it.
    #ThreeUpThreeDown

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  8. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

SMH!!! What is going on? Who else is transferring? I wonder where Destiny is headed. Hmmm let's see. Probably to a college back in Cali.

Well if TN takes Walz, we'll take Becky Hammon at the end of KA contract.

9. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

Especially after she almost left last year.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Probably a good move for her and the team. I think she and Patterson are both similar players. They like to play offense, but not much defense. She was probably gonna be the odd woman out once Celeste and Palmer arrive. As long as Charli stays I think we will be fine. Just a wild guess, but wouldn’t be surprised to see her go to Virginia. Tina needs some offense.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

I tend to agree with most of your thoughts. I too believe this move benefits both Destiny and Texas. I suspect she’ll transfer back to Cali as I think she misses home.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Agree . Good luck to her

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

It sure doesn’t especially when you don’t really know a players makeup. Will they come in IN SHAPE? How wil they handle dealing with basketball along with academics and other off the court things? We know all three had issues with some of those things when they came in. Further proof that what you did in high school is irrelevant once you get to college.:shh:

• poop poop x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  14. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Any person with any kind of common sense realizes that once a player gets to college, it's a completely different world. What you fail and still refuse to see is that the recruitment of any prospective player IS based on what information coaches and recruiting pollsters have at that particular time, which is their play in both high school and AAU. Therefore, their high school and AAU performances ARE in fact the ONLY way a coach is able to gauge their physical talent level and potential to DEVELOP. Obviously, the consensus of most experts (of which you are NOT), was that these 3 players were 3 of the top 24 in the nation (2 of them being ranked in the top 5) based on talent and potential to DEVELOP and contribute on the next level, DEVELOP being the key word. I will help you out with this one though.....this entire class is now gone, meaning in simplistic terms, that this most likely won't play to our favor in future recruiting.....and THAT is NOT IRRELEVANT......:e-clap:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • poop poop x 1
  15. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

No we don't know ALL 3 had issues with those things when they came in and unless you are on the coaching staff or team you don't know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Bummer. All that talk from her about sitting down with KA and having a heart-to-heart about being more mature and getting in better shape. I guess that was then and this is now. I wondered if she would transfer at the end of the season.

17. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Well, according to KA at the beginning of the season, both Patterson and Littleton had made REMARKABLE improvements. Now both are gone. :idk:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Maybe we just need fewer superstars and more junkyard dogs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Yes, we do know Destiny her self mentioned it and all you had to do was watch Relleh on the court to know that she wasn’t in shape. We also know that Chaz and Relleh were suspended for undisclosed reasons as well.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
  20. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Best statement in the entire thread. And I think coach Aston knows it and agrees with you when you look at our recruits for this year and also the current 2020 recruits. All you have to do is read some of the quotes from Shay Holle, and Ashley Chevalier to know that Coach Aston isn’t going to have to poke and prod them to get them to play hard and bring energy.

As Roger Clemens says, it doesn’t take any talent to play hard and bring energy. I’m not saying that I don’t want any superstars because you always need at least a couple in order to win at a high level. But you hope that those superstars are low maintenance players on and off the court.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Destiny -- In my view, a stellar student-athlete. I like Destiny's game and am going to miss watching her play. I thought Destiny provided things on offense our other guards did not.

Yes, Destiny's freshman year issues were well publicized as well as her decision to be fully accountable and give her all going into her sophomore season. She appears to have done everything the coaches asked her to do, getting in shape and working on her game. She played hard to the last minute she was on the floor for Texas. I have great respect for Littleton and expect her to do well in basketball and life.

I have never even met Destiny so cannot speculate on her reasons for transfer. But I think she is capable of being and deserves the chance to be a starter, even a 'featured' player on the right team. It appeared doubtful she would have that chance at Texas.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Longhornnation27

Longhornnation27 < 25 Posts

I believe it all depends on the type of player they become once they come to Texas
    or wherever they go. They can have a specific role in their current high school team and be the star, but there are so many other variables to take into consideration once they come to play in a new team in a big Div 1 program. They have to acclimate to new players, new atmosphere, new coaches, whilst juggling higher education standards and competing priorities. Another factor could be how strong their competition is in high school compared to other parts of the country, coachability, high basketball IQ, etc. and the player is just used to being the star, but then they are put into a team with multiple stars. Ego has to be put aside for the welfare of the team as a whole.
    Chemistry and trust are so important in conjunction with skill level
    when teams are constructed. Teams need to gel well and that starts with the players. They have to play for each other, not just themselves. Play both sides of the court, OFFENSIVE and DEFENSIVE. Always want to go that extra mile to win, whatever it takes.
    That is in built- once you get players together with that same mentality, that’s when you will see everyone aligned and moving towards the same goal. Sometimes there are casualties when players leave the program, but that just makes new opportunities for newer players with the required positive mindset and hunger to win and not put blame on others to succeed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Hornzupp

Hornzupp 25+ Posts

Superstar or dog, there's still the need to DEVELOP talent. Just watching the movie this week in this forum - can't even participate in these conversations because some of you are just content to stay in denial about the real problems here. We can't even have intelligent and civil disagreements about a team most of us have supported for decades. Destiny was a defensive liability - hell yes - but name more than 1-2 other people on this team who weren't. Go watch any replay this season. Texas was not strong defensively. SO let's not act like Destiny is leaving texas because she isn't starting. We all know its a **** show at Texas and anybody who says it in this forum gets pooped on. Doesn't make it any less true. Its a **** show. And you know it.

We can bring in all the most amazing graduate transfers and All Americans in the world - if they are not trained and developed to be excellent basketball players, guess what? They will be marginal at best. Hello, Joyner Holmes. Great talent. Grossly underachieving. And it's not all Joyner's fault. And it's not all KA's fault. A poster mentioned Patterson not playing d - mark this day - she will LIGHT UP THE SEC. And nobody gives a **** about defense - not really - that's what people who can't score throw in your face. Get the heck outta here with this bs. The team that wins the NCAA title this season - men or women - will be bucket getters. If you can't score in thsi game you will not win a championship. So, go ahead - go find that one isolated team that in the last 50 years that won a championship on defense - bet you won't find one in the last 20 years who wasn't ALSO a prolific scoring team. Coaching doesn't stop with recruiting - it stops with getting every drop of talent on your team to play to her potential. Poop on that.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • poop poop x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  24. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Very good points! Who would you say is responsible for being the facilitator of such mindsets? Who is responsible for creating a positive, trusting, nurturing culture? At the end of the day... who is ultimately accountable for the program's success or failure?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  25. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

If it’s not the total fault of either person why bring her up? There’s also a balance sure you’re not going to win anything without offense but you’re sure as hell not going to win anything without being able to get stops on the other end. But I agree and have said EVERY time this topic is brought up that Coach Aston needs to do a better job of getting everything out of her players and that starts with bringing in an offensive assistant coach since she obviously doesn’t want to personally improve in that area.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Furthermore, as I stated in another post I will bet you that if one looked at the rosters of the champions over the past couple of decades, one would find HS All-Americans all over them. So these excuses that some of your are already making in anticipation of a decline in recruiting is pure bs, too. Any coach secure in his/her abilities will tell you, "You've got to have the players."

The whole AAU and recruiting scene isn't a multi-million dollar venture that showcases players with no star potential... Get real. It's the coaching that is inept and the situation is much more complex than just what's not being done properly on the sidelines. Bet that!

You can keep pulling on that duck's neck all you want, but it ain't gonna turn into a swan.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • poop poop x 2
  27. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Not even worth :e-poo:ing on...

• Winner Winner x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  28. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Looks like Destiny has landed at South Carolina.

• Like Like x 2
  29. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Best of luck to Destiny.

It will be interesting to watch her career over the next two years. Is she immediately eligible or does she need to sit out an year?

30. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Sits out a year. Will be interesting to see how she does in Staley's program. Seen a lot of high prospects go in and out of there. This year, she's on the upswing in recruits.

• Like Like x 1