Devloping Logjam at QB

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by ViperHorn, Dec 5, 2018.

1. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'm a big RJ fan, and I know he carries a 4.0 GPA, but I have to question his wanting to spend January through May in Austin rather than Port Neches.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Herman obviously has his favorites, and he obviously likes 1) Sam and then 2) Shane. That doesn't bode well for Rising and Thompson, and then you have the Lake Travis guy coming in 2020, so the writing is on the wall (plus any other qb). Rising probably came here thinking he would be in the mix early (Thompson as well) and then when that didn't materialize (similar to Jevan Snead), they're saying "see ya". I like the idea that we're not promising anyone anything and continue to recruit the QB position hard. We've seen what lack of depth can do to a team (Major/Chris, Colt/Garrett), so I applaud the strategy. I think by doing so you separate the wheat from the chaffe ( I know I just jacked up that analogy so go ahead and correct me). I'm sure they're all "good kids" (Hi Mack) and wish them well. Life's too short to wonder what if so do what you think is best for you and we'll see what happens....

3. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

That's ridiculous.

At this point, as I understand it, nothing is a done deal. He's looking at his options, but there's still a possibility that he stays. We'll see, but again, this is just the reality of recruiting QBs in this day and age. Guys want to start and they don't want to sit for three years and wait. Not happy about that, but it's where we are.

Having said that, unless Bueschele has articulated that he's staying around, I'm not convinced one of them doesn't ultimately decide to stay. If not, excited to see what RJ can do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I can understand examining options, but there are only so many D1 quarterback starting jobs and about 3 times that many kids who think they are good enough to start. When Rising and Thompson look at their options, they may find them more limited than they are imagining now. Then again, may be some school would be ideal.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

The era of waiting your turn as a backup is done, it will be hard to have any depth at QB so long as everyone wants to start from Day 1 or transfer. Just a very different world.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Wouldn't it be interesting, for the purpose of sending a message, if one of these coaches like Herman or Smart, made a statement and pulled the kid’s scholarship?

Perhaps the antidote to this emerging epidemic would be to fight back, and send a message.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

I wouldn't have them coming to the Sugar Bowl, just like the players last year who weren't playing.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

They've earn the trip predicated on making every practice and not missing class. Neither has announced a transfer, and they owe it to themselves to see what's out there, just as the juniors are doing with the NFL.

Then there's the issue that we are about to see the first REAL defense we've seen all year. Not saying Georgia is dirty, just hard hitting and our QBs seem to be fragile.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Hoping one or both decides to stay. They probably recognize their future roles based on SE performance as well as Johnsons 2019 signing and the 2020 commitment of Card;

Need them for depth development as we never know when the injury bug is going to bite or if Texas loses Shane via transfer.

10. slowrider

slowrider 250+ Posts

I agree with the premise but unfortunately in today’s culture that would probably hurt recruiting. High profile recruits want to have options and you better believe other programs will use that against you in the living room.

I would also like to see players who “shut it down” or not participate in bowl games for the purpose of preparing for the draft be required to pay back a prorated portion of their scholarship. To me, they breached their agreement with the university. I don’t believe this realistic in today’s culture either for the same reason above.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Bystander,

Very well played. Loved that movie

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I don't think bowl games are considered part of the season.
    Therefore they have completed their contract as the season is over. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It's very underrated. Maybe the title throws people off but that's the point of it...

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Well, the NFL is all touchy feely on everthing today from breast cancer month in the NFL (?), etc., can't they be a part of this? I mean, the whole REASON why some athletes are now not honoring their contract with their schools is to protect their near-term value to the NFL. No other reason. Not family need. Not academic need. Not religious objections. Purely to make sure the NFL has prime meat on the hoof come draft day.

The NFL should start and manage a fund that compensates the individual schools for loss of value from the players who opt out of bowl games to save their bodies for the NFL.

If they don't, well, then the NFL is just a heartless bunch of rich old meanies who don't care.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Haven't wanted a super-like button in a month or so, but this guy!

17. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Yes and no.

I think Sam is his favorite. I think Shane has earned tremendous respect from Coach (and the entire team) for his class, preparedness, and gutsiness, who is also a JUNIOR. He's earned his standing on the depth chart after 3 seasons

Using the word "favorite" makes it sound like coach doesn't base his depth chart on sound decision making.

Rising is going to be good. But if he thought he could come in and be handed the backup slot ahead of Shane and Thompson without earning it, good riddance.

Here's hoping he makes a wise decision.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

LSU put up 275 yds rushing on the Dawgs............ QB Burrow was 2nd on the list w/65 yds on 13 carries. I dont think LSU's OL is better than ours and I dont think Burrow is any better than Sam and I think our WR's are better.........if our OL shows up we can move the ball on these guys and win. Hook em!

Georgia vs. LSU - Box Score - October 13, 2018 - ESPN

• Like Like x 1
  19. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

But but but...

LeBron says NFL owners have 'slave mentality'

""In the NFL they got a bunch of old white men owning teams, and they got that slave mentality," James said during the episode. "And it's like, 'This is my team. You do what the f--- I tell y'all to do or we get rid of y'all.'

20. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

That's logical reasoning but darn it they play the game on the field rather than on paper.... I'm on the fence about who is going to win this game. I don't know much about the University of Georgia except that they have been recruiting well lately and that they are from the "mighty" sec.

21. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

No argument here. It’s all about money, nothing more. Everything else is simply window dressing to enable them to maximize their profits.

22. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

And an African American owner in the NFL would be different?

So basically “ALL” of the white owners are racists?

Ill-informed statements like this expose the lack of a rational perspective and depth of understanding of someone like LBJ.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Yeah, it's called being an employee. If I didn't do what I was told I would lose my job pretty quickly and I am as white as snow. That's not a black, white or brown thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I don't understand other states' labor laws, but the nba and mlb have it different from the rest of the world. they don't understand work life.

At will employment - unless, i'm getting rid of you for things that i'm specifically prohibited by law from firing you for, i CAN, in fact, FIRE YOU for kneeling.

I can't fire you because of your faith, but I can fire you for putting up crucifixes all over your cubicle if you refuse to take them down.

25. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Mr. James, it's called "condition of employment " and virtually every business has them. Employees are not protected by freedom of speech under the constitution. That only protects you from government prosecution Slavery? What about those Chinese kids who make your $15 shoes that you sell for hundreds of dollars?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  26. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

Right, O'line will really have to step up.

If they can give Sam some time our receivers can hurt them.

27. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

EVERYONE knew he flipped right after his visit. I just looked it up, he decommitted from blOwU on April 22, 2017 and committed to Texas on the same date. That is nothing like you said. He signed as part of the 2018 class, you still had 10 months of recruiting.

blOwU had the slowest scramble in the history of scrambles if you can't find a QB in 10 months of recruiting.

28. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

If I were Shane, I'd stay. Out of the 3 he makes the most sense to stay. He's going to get playing time next year. Only way he's a starter is if it's like Tulsa, SMU, Houston, etc... A major program isn't going to bring him in for 1 year. He's not going to play in the NFL, so you want to graduate from Tulsa, or UT? Seems a pretty easy decision to me. I'd play out my Sr. year and have as much fun as I could and get a degree with a burnt orange signature and call it good. That will be worth a lot more to him than 1 year someone where. He decision to stick with his commitment will be awesome resume material.

29. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I believe he has two years left so indeed he could start for an FCS school for two years if he transferred.

30. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Wasn't it Matt Cassell at USC that backed up Carson Palmer and then Matt Leinart, hardly played and still got drafted in the NFL and wound up a starter? Some qb's could look at his situation and see it can be worth it to stick it out...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1